ROM Service!

Last Updated:

1. Carreno

Carreno Member This Topic's Starter

I thought I might be crazy but I've confirmed the fact that somehow, some way, I receive more 'bars' with Ic3 ROM than WW 3.2 -

How is this possible? Is there a way to exaggerate the bars even if the signal is the same?

It's driving me NUTS! And its the only reason I think about going back to Ic3

-Its mentally pleasing, calming and comforting to see 4 'bars', you know?

Anyone run into this? I use the same radio for both ROMS.

Advertisement
  2. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I get a lot more bars on Aloysius White. I'm not sure if the signal has been improved. I know that my phone battery lasts forever now, so I wonder if the increased bars corresponds to less output by my phone looking for a stronger signal.

3. Carreno

Yea, its odd.

I think it may be a way to 'promote' a ROM by doing something behind the curtains with code to show more bars than one should actually have.

Just my thoughts.

Bugs me.

4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I agree with this,
    I'm on Ic3 Rom v2.7 and have noticed the same thing, I checked out cyanogeneris and get less bars, I really like the white status bar so i stay ic3.

5. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

i COULD theoretically change it so that when you have 2 bars it shows up as 4 if that would comfort you :p

6. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Yea roms don't mess with signal because they dont mess with the radio or anything like that. its just how the rom interprets the signal that makes the difference.

7. andrizoid

right, i dont think that the signal for one is actually any higher/lower than another.

8. Carreno

"its just how the rom interprets the signal that makes the difference."

So then a ROM can say you have 3G, when in fact, you do not.

Or vice versa

9. andrizoid

i could fix my rom so that when you had zero bars it said you were full, or vice versa...making your own rom gives you total control.

you could set it to say that when your 3g dormant-not transferring data-to show that it is. i could set the 3G active icon to be on all the time. or the full vars to be active all the time.

i dont think this is what they did, that would be pretty sketchy in my opinion

10. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

And to further that question; if the ROM interprets more bars for a signal, does it correspond to better battery performance because the phone thinks that the signal is stronger than indicated?

No matter what the signal indicator is saying, I still seem to get signal when I'm supposed to and I don't when there isn't usually a signal present.

11. andrizoid

i never even pay attention to my bars, i actually took them out a while back. the way i see it, if you got bars then you got bars, if not then theres nothing you can do about it.

battery life on my ROM, the one he mentioned as having the lower signal, has been better for me than any other rom so far.