• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Stock/Modded JB 4.1.1 MavrikROM

mavrikmeercat

Android Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2011
N.O. LA.
Hi All. Took Me a while but I finally got around to getting us a Modded ROM with all the things that people have been trying to accomplish in the threads

List Of things added:

Android System Mods

Rooted
busybox
Superuser
busybox runparts (place boot scripts inside /system/ect/init.d to make system mods)
Optimized ROM
Zipaligned (/system/apps & /data/apps are zipaligned at every boot)
sdcard & external_sd read speed increased
Wifi TX power increased (makes a little difference in signal range)
Clockworkmod Recovery
Xposed Framework
Xposed installer
Power Toggles (also adds reboot menu)
Volume Boost up to 60%
XBattery module for themeing battery icons as you please
Odexed /system/apps (for better battery life and rom speed)
Google apps preinstalled (AOSP Gapps package)
You now have a full Google Tablet ;)

I'll post some instructions for some extra things once you get up and running.

Download & Instructions

Install just like the stock firmware from Curtis.
Unzip the download
power off tablet
hold "volume UP" while you plug-in the USB cable (tablet boots into Bootloader / Flash Mode)
Install Drivers (the RIGHT drivers are included in the download)
Double-Click RKBatchTool.exe (should be ran as admin)
should see the green box. means the drivers are right and ready to flash..
in the firmware box at the top click the "browse button" and select MavrikROM.img and hit start

If when your tablet boots fully, it gives you a warning about storage being corrupt or needs to be erased/reformatted ignore it and then reboot it into clockworkmod recovery
Power Off tablet
Hold volume down & power untill you see Klu screen
Keep holding volume down but release power button
In recovery
Use volume keys to scroll down to "mounts and storage"
Select it with the power button
Now scroll down to "format cache" and select it
Select "yes"
Now also "format data" and "format sdcard" (not external_sd")
Select ****GO BACK*******
Select "reboot system now"
Storage should be working perfectly now.

MavrikRom_firmware.zip

I'm attemping to figure out the screen issue some users are having when they tried to update the stock firmware from Curtis

The issue was caused by trying to update using the manufacturer's update.

Screen Issue Symptoms:
Tablet will boot up into the Android OS all the way to the lockscreen but the screen will not respond to any touch by the user making it impossible to use.

Ill keep this section updated as to what I find pertaining to the screen issue.

UPDATE::

12/01/2013
thanks to one of our dedicated users, SuperNoober, has decided that he is fed up with his broken Klu tablet (with the touchscreen issue) and is sending it to me so that I can do what I can to fix it. "If" a fix is possible, share with everyone. Its on the way by mail to me now. Please be grateful to him for donating his device to the cause.

12/03/2013
I received it yesterday. Been doing a lot of testing..
For this type of issue, like most, I thought it'd be best to rule out what it's not by the process of elimination.

First, I downloaded the Curtis firmware again to re-flash it to the tablet just to rule out user error. It did flash successfully but didn't change anything as far as screen issue.

Next, I found some tool/scripts made by user Wendal over in SlateDroid forums that I used to unpack the stock firmware.img from Curtis inc. and mount the different partition images in order to check for integrity and make sure nothing was missing by comparing it to my daughters WORKING (no screen issue) tablet. I also found a Linux shell script that will pull all the images from a working device and place then into a working_folder and used that to pull the firmware right from my WORKING tablet and the NON-WORKING tablet. then I compared the two but found no differences in either comparing to the stock firmware or each other.

More research led me to another forum, FreakTab.com where there have been lots of development on Rockchip tablets and developers have made good efforts in collaborating their research on the devices. In this thread, Developer, hacker, Rom Chef, Finless_Bob has explained in detail all about modding on rockchip devices and how they are structured. Using Finless' advice I learned how to extract the boot.img in order to compare any differences.
I split the boot.img into kernel & ramdisk on both working and non-working and they where the same.
I went through all the stock .libs, kernel modules, .ko and .so drivers and they where the same too.
Basically, everything I looked into seemed identical in both working and non-working tablet.
In my research and some help from vulcanize & WooHooGuy here in the forums,
I have found that there is a sister device (exact same device) sold under a different name (proscan PLT-7035-b)
In finding this out, I downloaded the ICS and Jellybean firmware for the Proscan model and flashed them each, thinking maybe it was something in the Klu firmware still or possibly the download. (No Luck, screen was still the same) but the Klu and Proscan firmwares are almost identical.

Also, in testing, I found that if you press the "restore" button in RKBatchtool.exe, it will reformat the whole nand-flash device before installing the new firmware. Still didn't help though..

Then, In doing more research, I found a developer who has done alot of work on all kinds of rk29xx, rk30xx, rk31xx tablets and other devices with rockchip boards. (Oma) (Ody's Loox)
Crew RKTablets | Per aspera ad astra, we rock the Tablets

I downloaded 3 of his custom firmwares ( CyanogenMod 10.1) (JellyBean 4.2.2) (JellyBean 4.1.1) and his modded kernel for the proscan plt-7033-b . All of them flashed successfully and booted up just fine but it still didn't have any response to touch.

My next step was to see if the Android OS was working properly and was even able to receive touchscreen events. First I needed to enable USB debugging so I could use adb while Android was running. For reference, here is how I did it:
after flashing Oma's CM10.1
rebooted into recovery (CWM)
mounted /system as read/write
mount -o remount,rw /system
and enabled USB debugging by editing a few lines in system files by running these commands:
echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> default.prop
echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> default.prop
echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> default.prop
echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> /system/build.prop
echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> /system/build.prop
echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> /system/build.prop
reboot
Then once I rebooted back into the lockscreen, I used several different adb commands to swipe and unlock the screen and also to make a few selections.
for reference, I used commands similar to these:
adb shell sendevent /dev/input/event2 3 57 29
adb shell sendevent /dev/input/event2 3 53 240
adb shell sendevent /dev/input/event2 3 54 400
adb shell sendevent /dev/input/event2 3 48 29
adb shell sendevent /dev/input/event2 3 58 2
adb shell sendevent /dev/input/event2 0 0 0
adb shell sendevent /dev/input/event2 3 57 4294967295
adb shell sendevent /dev/input/event2 0 0 0
In which, I was able to unlock and make a few selections inside the OS

My conclusion so far:
Seems that the only thing missing is a responce to touch which can only be that the digitizer is defective..
My next step is to swap screens with a screen that I know works only to confirm my findings.

Thanks to another user in our community, Dan L Smith, has confirmed a work-around if you have one of these tablets that won't respond to touch. He plugged in a USB mouse to the mini port on the tablet and was able to control it just fine that way. I'm sure a Bluetooth dongle with a Bluetooth mouse would also work too.

12/07/2013
I ended up swapping the screens on the two tablets and the tablet with the screen issue works just fine with the screen from my daughter's tablet.

So it is confirmed that it is in fact that the screen is defective/broken beyond repair for whatever reason.
I don't really understand why it only happened when the firmware was updated but my theory is that flashing was only the trigger to make the digitizer go out. I'm pretty sure it's a manufacturer defect and they were going to go out at some point anyways but that is just theory. I suspect that it could also be a problem with the windows driver that people are using for the device when they are flashing the update. That could certainly cause the screen to be broken during the flash.

In my opinion, Curtis International should be sued for selling so many people defective screens that were probably made in some child abusing sweat-shop in china somewhere. I would be happy to sign that petition and also submit my findings.

If any other person or developer would like to do any testing for themselves, just about everything I used and all info is posted here but if I can help in any way, please feel free to post here or send me a PM and I would be happy to help

Upvote 0
I have 2 of these things that I attempted to update with the new firmware and it seems that I hit the common problem of the digitizer not working after-it boots to the main screen, but I can't unlock it as the device is unresponsive to touch now. I found this link and tried to update to your rom (2x each), but the end results are the same. Everything seems to work right with the bootloader.

Can this be fixed? Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm actually not sure to be honest if its a software issue or that its defective touch screens. I'm trying to figure it out to help you all who have this problem.

Some more info would help maybe.

Is the screen just black?
Can you see the Klu boot screen?
Exact details of the boot process and what you see.
Also can you get into clockworkmod recovery and factory reset it (instructions in first post) and then reboot to see if that changes anything?

Upvote 0
Ahh thank you.. that does shed some light...
that does point me to a software problem. Seems maybe the /data /sdcard partitions are messed up somehow.

Please understand that the device i have works just fine so i dont have a one with the problem to test. SuperNoober is gonna send me his wich does have the screen issue so I can maybe see if I can do anything to fix it. That said, it depends on two things.

If its a software problem that can be re written or patched I absolutely can fix it and share with you all.

If it turns out to be a defective touchscreen, then obviously there is nothing I can do about that. But I promise I will devote whatever spare time I can to finding out. I hate to see people stuck with useless devices they spent hard earned money for.

Reactions: laboy
Upvote 0
I also had a simpler problem upgraded firmware from Curtis for my klu 7033 tablet didn't back anything up , I should have don't just a factor reset to get ride of the just on it but I didn't, when it booted NO TOUCH SCREEN DID"T WORK. found your img thought that my bring it back but no go .. had to flash 2 times first time failed , then 2nd time it worked but still cant get any further the the first page that wonts me to agree to let google well you no any help thank you

It boots up KLU image to android image to the home/default unlock screen.

Upvote 0
I also had a simpler problem upgraded firmware from Curtis for my klu 7033 tablet didn't back anything up , I should have don't just a factor reset to get ride of the just on it but I didn't, when it booted NO TOUCH SCREEN DID"T WORK. found your img thought that my bring it back but no go .. had to flash 2 times first time failed , then 2nd time it worked but still cant get any further the the first page that wonts me to agree to let google well you no any help thank you

It boots up KLU image to android image to the home/default unlock screen.

Unfortunately, I don't have a fix yet for the screen issue. Yours is the same that other people are reporting after updating from Curtis. Another user is sending me his with the same problem so I can test it and come up with a fix. I will get to the bottom of it but I don't have one with this problem so I can't test anything until I receive the one with the same issue.

For now just keep checking back in to this forum thread and I will update it as I progress. I wil find out why this happens and fix it if it can be fixed. Just gonna take some time.

Reactions: laboy
Upvote 0
just a question , if I had another Curtis klu 7033 tablet could I not get a img from it and put on this one ?

Yes you could.

You would need a linux OS, some tools/scripts to pull all the images in the proper way and then another tool/script to pack it all up into a firmware.img in the proper way by inserting the proper headers to all the images.

This takes alot of reading, research and testing. It took me months of scouring the internet to find all the proper tools and learning how rockchip systems work.

Completely different from any other android manufacturer samsung, lg, moto, zte, htc, and so on...

Upvote 0
Uhmmm hey folks,
I know that I'm coming from way out in left field here... But I had the exact same problem with my Chinese FOCU_77jb phablet.
I got frustrated with it and did exactly what I knew I shouldn't do... Hit the volume down+power.... Hard reset.
To my amazement it went well..... was kinda neat watching the little android feller with the spinning gizmo in his belly but expecting the dreaded red triangle to popup at any moment..... until it booted to the lockscreen and I tried to swipe the little padlock. Nuthin! No response from the touchscreen... ARRRRR!
BUT I'm writing this on that same phablet. What did I do? Well I read that someone had the same problem with a phone (after flashing something i think) and all they did was remove the battery and and put it back in and the screen worked again.
What the hey I gave it a shot. Pried open my brick with the pretty blue dolphin on the lock screen... cut the black battery wire and spliced it back together again and here I am... Back in business. PLEASE don't laugh too hard at me for suggesting something so simple to folks who obviously know a lot more than I do about fiddling with these devices but I had to share what worked for me.

Reactions: mavrikmeercat
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones