• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM] - Themed ICS Venture Update - Jan. 22 2013

gotta cut curtis some slack man. he has a lot on his plate. he doesnt even own a venture, he is just helpin us out. if u need a copy of the first ICS release, i can help u out with that. also, i will go ahead and fix up the problems in this new ics release and re-release it for u. curtis has previously expressed to me that he wanted to collab on this release, and has given me permission to change whatever i see fit. so, ill fix up all the issues for u guys and hopefully put out a working release late night tonight.

Reactions: varenHjames
Upvote 0
Alright guys... So i replaced the corrupt framework with the ics v1 til further notice. fixed searchbar (still on every screen, but working now). fixed keyboard FC's. fixed quickpic gallery. added my own speed tweaks (u guys r gonna love how zippy the framework is!!). uploading now! plz dont forget that little "thanks" button if this helps u out!!!

Upvote 0
Reactions: varenHjames
Upvote 0
okay, i found a new bug, which i assume wasnt addressed in this update, tho with the NEW AND AWESOME OC KERNEL (thanks drac) out now....im going to guess this will go for a while.
the TTS (text to speech) sub-menu in the voice input and output setting menu force closes. Thus, making it impossible for me to set my tts engine to svox or anything for that matter. ive tried all i can think of to resolve this, no luck.
thanks again for the prompt update to this, it was much appreciated. i havent gotten it yet, but i will tonight, lol....i really dont know why i keep setting up my phone completely, just to find another bug and have to re-flash all over again.

Upvote 0
thanks for all your input with this phone thus far Curtis

also, having tts service in the system/app does not resolve my issue :( wap wah....im not sure what the issue is, but im sure its something to do with having a custom rom...
could anyone else with this rom verify its not just a bad download for me? i mean, i restored a working tts service backup, i will try to pull from the stock rom and see if i can get that to work.
otherwise, when i reflash this when *hopes* the oc kernel is included, i will just add tts service to the mix before flashing. eh, its any body's ball game
also, i noticed not many people change the rom name when rebuilding it with dex's kitchen. just something i noticed. always reads "change_me"

Upvote 0
well, i somewhat was able to combine the two...somewhat...i added the tts service and pico tts before flashing and that did the trick with the settings menu.
but, it's not stable....im assuming there is not a cookie cutter way of doing this...
i used dex's kitchen to change out the zImage, which allowed me to over clock, but now i have a problem with start-up....sometimes, it hangs at hello, sometimes it goes thru *shrugs*

Upvote 0
well, the hang at boot can b a multitude of things. what cpu management tool r u using to overclock, and to what speed? also, are u using any kind of "set at boot" option to get the overclock settings to stick on reboot?

it hung at boot even before i set the cpu with set cpu for root users.
like the first boot went thru, but everytime i reboot, it hangs at least once. have to take out the battery, power cycle, replace battery, turn on...which usually but not always works then.
is there anything i have to do after replacing the zimage?

EDIT: just a question, how do you change the default background to that 1x1 pixel black deal he had on the v2.0 original he put out? i dont want to use the sd card for my back ground, because in my experience that forces an sd card read alot, and uses up precious battery space?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
do u have a cpu manager app installed? if so, what do u have it overclocked to?

i use set cpu, and its clocked to
729max
98min
ondemand
CFQ

also, i noticed, its when the screen shuts off. almost every time the screen shuts off, the power button does not turn it back on.
i am using no profiles, also, i think 748 is a bit high for the cpu default max....as this caused problems until i turned it down....such as freezing with the screen on.
i really should be testing this kernel on my only working cell phone, from which i make and receive all calls.
eh, im going back to the original hades...or something else till all this gets squared away...i cant afford to mess up this phone and wait for VM to send me a replacement....which i fear i may have to do in the near future anyway.

Upvote 0
well, i havent had any other complaints about the kernel at my default setting. maybe its just your device, or corruption somewhere (bad download or packaging of the rom/kernel). i havent heard of any issues at 768 either (next notch up). the only issues ive heard of is when u push past the 768 notch. if u wanna dump ur boot.img, upload it, and PM me the link, ill check it out for u and repackage the kernel to make sure its working correct.
also, ive had great performance from turning the min freq up a couple notches too.

Upvote 0
well, i havent had any other complaints about the kernel at my default setting. maybe its just your device, or corruption somewhere (bad download or packaging of the rom/kernel). i havent heard of any issues at 768 either (next notch up). the only issues ive heard of is when u push past the 768 notch. if u wanna dump ur boot.img, upload it, and PM me the link, ill check it out for u and repackage the kernel to make sure its working correct.
also, ive had great performance from turning the min freq up a couple notches too.

ill just test out black-rock shooter till the ics rom gets properly updated with the kernel....
like i said, i dont want to fubar my phone...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones