1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

rom toolbox

1. swampymc8

swampymc8 Well-Known Member

Hi all

Has anyone used this or is it just like rom manager
    do we not use

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

I've heard of it. That's as much as I know
    swampymc8 likes this.
  3. swampymc8

Ok
    Will give a miss till more is known
  4. swampymc8

hi
    anyone used this yet ?
  5. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

hi,
    sorry no - just heard about it today myself actually - sounds a bit too much like rom manager to me :/

cheers
    dan
  6. swampymc8

That's what I was thinking. Have download it but not used it will uninstall

Cheers
  7. alshop

alshop Member

I've been using it for a few months now. Great app with loads of features such as built in rom manager, root browser, auto start manager, memory manager, sd boost, custom boot & font manager all within one app. I've removed several other apps that were doing these features for me so hence have saved a good bit of space. However you pretty much need the pro version ($5) to unlock all the good stuff as the lite version is a bit limited.

More info here on the features etc:
    JRummy's ROM Toolbox Loses Liberty ROM Exclusivity, Now Available For All Rooted Devices
  8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

exactly why we dont use it and its not needed.
    you dont need a rom manager built in, this often causes issues with desire as it can flash and backup roms in a different recovery to what is flashed on the phone. if the phone cannot boot for whatever reason and you try and restore you will get a usb brick

esfile explorer does root now
    memory management is pretty good by default and autokiller improves on it perfectly
    sdboost is in nearly all roms

sorry i dont think things like rom manager and the like are ever needed for desire problems.
    the amount of effort needed to sort and configure them you might as well do it the proper way anyway.
    its for the lazy.
    does it check md5 of each download before flashing it?
  9. alshop

alshop Member

Ok, I take your point about the rom manager. But I still like having the features in apps such as auto-starts, autokiller memory, sd maid, root explorer, terminal emulator, setcpu as well as the ability to change your boot animation & fonts from within the app (no need for uot kitchen) all in one app and yes I am lazy :)
  10. MelodyMan

MelodyMan Well-Known Member

I tried this one with Dell Streak 5. It won't uninstall system apps. Should I use root explorer instead? But I don't want to brick my phone. Any advice?
  11. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member

Can't say anything about the Streak specifically, as I've never even seen one (this is a Desire forum). But on a Desire you could only use Root Explorer to delete system apps if you are S-Off (i.e. NAND security disabled). Otherwise when running the Android OS you only have read access to the system area, not write. I suspect that the Dell might be similar, because I can't imagine them wanting to deal with owners breaking their phones by deleting critical apps (whereas if you have to perform a warranty-voiding unlock first then you aren't their problem if you go on to mess the phone up ;)).
  12. MelodyMan

MelodyMan Well-Known Member

Hadron,

I've used Root Explorer before on 7" tablet and it's a pretty useful tool. I bricked the device though after deleting maps. :eek: Thankfully I was able to restore it.

I've visited Dell site and I would rather help myself than ask help there. There's no real help at all. Users are the ones solving their problems not Dell (most of the time). So I'm not worried about warranty but I'm worried if I'm going to brick the phone. I just want to delete the ff. apps installed as system app:

* Facebook
    * Twitter
    * Zinio
    * Pageonce
    * CoPilot
    * Amazon
    * Dell Sync

The problem is that Zinio won't even load. I don't use the rest.

Thanks man!

13. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I wasn't expecting Dell to help :D. But there are Dell Streak forums here as well, Dell Streak (Mini 5) - Android Forums and Mini 5 - All Things Root - Android Forums, so I was thinking that maybe someone there could give better advice with your device.

I guess that if Root Explorer can just remove system apps that rooting the Streak unlocks the system area as well (similar to CDMA Desires, but a separate process with GSM ones).

I'd have thought that most of those apps could be removed safely. The risk is whether anything else depends on the app, but that might also depend on what other changes Dell have made, which is why advice from a Streak user would be desirable. On a Desire the advice I give people is to take a nandroid (recovery) backup first, so that you can recover if the thing you removed did turn out to be critical. Also Titanium Backup can "freeze" an app (disabling it), which is a more easily reversible way of testing whether it is safe to remove (though if it really bricked the phone you'd still need the nandroid).
  14. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

hi - was thinking of using this app to alter my notification icons to stop em going grey due to google services etc (ala UOT style) but unfortunately this feature is locked unless you get pro version - so cant test if it works - anyone tried this feature ?

cheers
    dan

...mailed the dev and they said it cant do this yet