• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] UD 3.0.0 Alpha Gingerbread

kujayhawks77

Aug 23, 2010
Conroe, TX
UD 3.0.0 Alpha is out with Gingerbread goodness.

This is a REAL GINGERBREAD ROM. NOT A THEME. These builds are simply just to give you guys a peak at where we are in our development of gingerbread.

WHATS WORKING/WHATS NOT:

- Usb - Working
- Adb - Working
- Camera - Working (Slightly In-stable)
- Camcorder - Not Working
- Accelerometer - Not Working
- Proximity Sensor/Backlighting - Not Working
- GPS - Working but not 100%

The Ultimate Droid 3.0.0 Alpha Changelog:

- GRH78 Build
- Multi-Language Support
- New Theming System (T-Mobile - One theme, all phones, all builds, all without rebooting, graphical user interface - Theme Chooser App)
- Working Gingerbread Gapps (Nexus S)
- Ultimate Droid Settings (Quick Commands, UD Extras, Backup/Restore, Input Settings, Spare Parts) Modified Apps Switching is NOT functional
- Added Working Gapps (blackdroid)
- Added Lockscreen Gestures (mtwebster)
- Made Contacts Translucent (blackdroid)
- Added Modified Deskclock (cyanogenmod)
- Added Modified Gallery App (cyanogenmod)
- Added Three-Way Lockscreen Status Toggle - (blackdroid)
- Added Phone and Messaging Tab (rhurta/mtwebster)
- Added Three-Way Volume Control (blackdroid/cyanogenmod)

---Tools---
- Added Bash (cvpcs)
- Added Nano (cvpcs)
- Added Rsync (dylex)
- Added BusyBox (cvpcs)

I'm usually one of the first ones to try a new ROM. But I think I'm going to watch from the sidelines for a few days on this one.

I'm with you on this one. There's lots of issues being discussed over at DF. I'm sure with a little more time BlackDroid will get a stable GB ROM up and running. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with v2.5.

Upvote 0
I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I'm going to give my opinion based on my experience with UD roms anyway...

Perhaps the team at UD should focus on releasing a UD rom without bugs instead of a non-fully functional gingerbread rom. I love some of the features in UD, but the rom has had bugs since 1.0, which is a deal breaker for me. Blackdroid releases a new version every couple weeks, or so it seems. I wish they'd focus on putting together a completely stable rom instead of putting out new (buggy) versions/un-practical gingerbread roms.

Just my $0.02.

Upvote 0
I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I'm going to give my opinion based on my experience with UD roms anyway...

Perhaps the team at UD should focus on releasing a UD rom without bugs instead of a non-fully functional gingerbread rom. I love some of the features in UD, but the rom has had bugs since 1.0, which is a deal breaker for me. Blackdroid releases a new version every couple weeks, or so it seems. I wish they'd focus on putting together a completely stable rom instead of putting out new (buggy) versions/un-practical gingerbread roms.

Just my $0.02.

I understand your point of view, but the great thing is that we have so many ROMs to choose from! And I think that UD really does help cover the entire field of ROM types. Bugless Beast is generally the most stable and gets updated the least. UD is somewhat bleeding edge, and CyanogenMod is a compromise between the two.

Upvote 0
I think I'm with all of you'se. I want to try Gingerbread, but I'm not going to until every aspect is addressed and functioning. I just want something to work any time and every time.

I also am not sure of the bugs Nuance is reporting, but we know how diff Droids go. Bout the only thing that doesn't work for me is the 3D app drawer (which seems to work on most other ROMs), but that's as minute a detail as possible. Otherwise, UD2.5 has been one of the finest ROMs I've put on my Droid.

And I agree with bdal1, Sourcery is a wonderful ROM that is helping me pass the time. Very similar feel to UD, not all the features, but some features unique to itself. I highly recommend it to anyone who's a bit of a flash addict like me and need a fix.

Upvote 0
I didn't like the releases of UD between 8.0 and the current one, 2.5. I always encountered lag after extended use (over the course of a few days of not restarting the phone). 8.0 and then 2.5 have been flawless, though.

I may give this a shot as if I screw something up on my phone, I have Google Voice for text and GMail for placing VoIP calls if something really bad were to happen. I guess that's just one of the perks of winter break. :D

I'll give it a shot and see how it is. My Droid is like my beater phone now.

Upvote 0
I'm not seeing all of these bugs you talk about. I Agree with the sidelines comment. Sorcery is giving me plenty to play with in the meantime.

21 pages man, 21 pages. If you're not having issues - great! But don't assume others aren't because of that.

Bug Thread for 2.5.0 - OP UPDATED - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

What bugs have you found in 2.5.0? I have found nothing wrong with it. :thinking:

The rom still runs sluggish (I've tried different kernels), major redraws, a few force closes (I used GLD's method of restoration, and I always wipe), the emergency only lock screen, new market not working, &amp on keyboard...basically most of the stuff in the bug threads over at droid forums. Like I said, I like the features, but I think BlackDroid rushes things. If he and his team would take more time to get it "right" out of the gate his roms could be elite, perhaps in a league of their own. I really WANT to like UD's roms, but...

Upvote 0
I understand your point of view, but the great thing is that we have so many ROMs to choose from! And I think that UD really does help cover the entire field of ROM types. Bugless Beast is generally the most stable and gets updated the least. UD is somewhat bleeding edge, and CyanogenMod is a compromise between the two.

I completely agree with this. Thanks for being civil in response to my post, rather than just bash me or claim you don't have issues. I respect that. In fact, everyone has been very civil.

Upvote 0
Yeah, there are enough Mods, Guides, and even regular users here that are quick to report shenanigans here. So it's usually smooth sailing.

We like it like that.

Plus, Mods are really really quick to take care of BS posts - we like that too.
What's this "we" stuff? you have a mouse in your pocket or are you French?

J/K - but a good joke now and then hits the spot.

I can't wait for UD to be stable, I'm having itchy trigger finger syndrome going on here!!!!!

Upvote 0
Per BlackDroid on facebook:

"Update: Blackdroid has been able to narrow down a few of the issues that caused the boot looping in the rom. Preliminary tests went well with 6 of the phones. He is working hard today on a few more updates. Currently, Blackdroid is hoping to have a new batch of tests out within the next 24 hours. Please be patient as he is only 1 man tackling this by himself. He appreciates your support."

AND:

"gps, usb, adb, and camera have all been fixed since the tech release."

WOO HOO - we're getting so close! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones