• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rom update, or wait for Android 2?

hi all,

I have the latest Rom update as my phone came with it, but my partner has the old version and its very sluggish - when android 2 gets released will you have to go on the HTC website and do it from there???

is there a way this phone does updates from the handset without using a PC etc???

i dont want to update it to get the latest rom and then do it again

any advice will be good.

Ade

when android 2 gets released will you have to go on the HTC website and do it from there???

Nobody knows, so best answer right now is "maybe".

is there a way this phone does updates from the handset without using a PC etc???

The handset can receive 'Over The Air' updates, tests have apparantly been done with OTA updates, but whether it will actually get OTA updates is again right now a "maybe".

Upvote 0
HTC haven't announced a release date for the 2.0 update yet. Do you have an unlcoked Hero or a carrier branded one (such as the G2)? If you have a carrier branded one, you will have to wait for them to release it.

The OTA updates are for 'Google Experiance' phones, such as the G1. These are phones where the software is stock Android, and haven't been altered in anyway. As the Hero has HTC senese, we won't be getting the OTA updates.

I would personally update, the differance is huge and theres no definative date of when the 2.0 update will come out. Hopefully it will be this side of christmas, but if there are delay, the laggyness of the phone may dissapoint you

Upvote 0
If ive rooted my G2 and put the modaco rom on it previously does that mean ill be able to put the android 2.0 on from htcs website when released? Or have i misunderstood what rooting does?

Rooting just allows you to put custom ROM's on the phone, it doesn't stop you for using official ones as well. So yes, you will be able to ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones