ROM Update

Last Updated:

1. jamjen

jamjen Member This Topic's Starter

OK - So I heard there is a ROM update to 2.1 that was supposed to go OTA a few weeks ago. I have a rooted phone and was wondering - a) is it worth going to the 2.1 ROM and b) how does one get there hand on this ROM, I heard that rooted phone's won't take the OTA upgrade and, and c)has anyone rooted the 2.1?

Thanks Much
    JJ

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

In answer to your questions:

1. If you're rooted, it's probably more worthwhile for you to use a custom ROM rather than taking the OTA update to 2.1.

2. I believe there is a dump over on Alldroid, but I don't know if the actual update.zip is available to install just yet.

3. Rooted phones do not automatically block OTA updates. If you have a custom ROM installed, or SPRecovery 0.99.2b and above, then they should be blocked.

4. 2.1 has not been rooted officially for the Droid yet, I don't believe, but it won't take long.

Hope this helps.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I'll try to give you a good mix of fact and opinion. ;)

a) I wouldn't recommend any 2.1 ROM yet, until the official release. The latest 2.1 "leak" is only the system partition and still doesn't contain the kernel and other system files. Thus, it is not truly optimized for our DROID, as far as I can tell.

b) Rooted phones can still received the OTA, once it is released. Unless the dev of the ROM one is using has deleted or changed the name of the otacerts.zip file, or you have done this. An assortment of 2.1 and/or 2.0.1 ROMs are available at many of the other DROID forums on the net. Using Google can find you these forums.

c) I have installed 2.1 ROMs on my DROID, and frankly, I'm not impressed. Sure they were cool to play with for a minute. But once the novelty wore off, I was more than ready to go back to an over-clocked 2.0.1-based ROM.

4. jamjen

jamjen Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info guys!