• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROM upgrade on canadian Hero

FlipRocket

Lurker
Nov 1, 2009
Hi, it is my first time posting.. I hope im in the right category!

So im planning on buying the Hero with Telus in Canada, releasing november 5th. Assuming it doesn't already have the ROM firmware upgrade and that it is not released on the canadian HTC website by the 5th, is it safe to download it from the Europe HTC website?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would assume, with a launch date so long after the latest ROMs were released elsewhere, that the Telus devices will be using the current build as their base. No way of knowing for sure until you can actually check the build number. I certainly wouldn't advise attempting an update with a European ROM, just in case of 'adverse reactions'.

Your assumption did not pan out, unfortunately. I picked up the Hero last week, and the firmware version on it is 1.5

I assume this version is still the laggy one from before. I went to the HTC Canada site, and there's no obvious upgrade. Does this mean that I cannot, or rather should not, upgrade the phone until an official HTC-sanctioned release for Telus comes out?

If not, then how does one go about installing the updated firmware?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
m.

Upvote 0
I have the Telus Hero as well, and it IS up to date.

The 1.5 is the android version, which is correct, our build # is the latest, you can confirm this by going to settings, and about phone.

Build Number: 2.73.661.46

This is the latest.

The only thing you should have to do to have your Hero working optimally is replace the built in sms app, following many instructions found here to do this.

Your assumption did not pan out, unfortunately. I picked up the Hero last week, and the firmware version on it is 1.5

I assume this version is still the laggy one from before. I went to the HTC Canada site, and there's no obvious upgrade. Does this mean that I cannot, or rather should not, upgrade the phone until an official HTC-sanctioned release for Telus comes out?

If not, then how does one go about installing the updated firmware?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
m.

Upvote 0
I have the Telus Hero as well, and it IS up to date.

The 1.5 is the android version, which is correct, our build # is the latest, you can confirm this by going to settings, and about phone.

Build Number: 2.73.661.46

This is the latest.

The only thing you should have to do to have your Hero working optimally is replace the built in sms app, following many instructions found here to do this.

Good to know. I thought the firmware was the number to look at, not the build number. I have the number you indicated. Thank you for setting me straight. :)

m.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones