• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] [V20B] jparasite+karendar Custom Shine Plus ROM w/ OC kernel [R4.5] [2013/05/14]

jparasite

Nov 29, 2011
DISCLAIMER:

I am not responsible if you brick your phone or lose all your data. This is all experimental, throwing-science-at-the-wall type of software. Flash at your own risk and only if you know what you are doing.

Introduction:
This is a modification of karendar's R4 ROM found here: [ROM][JULY 25TH 2012][V20B]Karendar's custom Shine Plus ROM R4 with OC Kernel!

I noticed as I was building TWRP and testing it with karendar's ROM, that it was using an older update-binary. Upon fixing that, I had to modify the updater-script to support a slightly different edify script.

Finally, upon fixing that, installing would error out at certain set_perms() on files that didn't exist. Because of this, the install would bomb out early and not finish setting permissions. This would cause problems later down the road, notably with busybox not getting installed.

Thus, I've fixed the set_perms() and now the ROM installs correctly without any issues. Further testing is needed to determine if this solves other peoples reported problems.

Features:
- exactly the same as karendar's R4 release.

Changelist:

R4.5 [2013/05/14]
- update-binary upgraded to a newer version (pulled from a known working p500h 4.1.2 rom)
- updater-script: changed to use new edify format in new update-binary; fixed set_perm() errors.

Downloads:
V20_R4.5_Custom_Stock.zip

Prerequisites:
You must have a custom recovery installed. This involves gaining root on your stock phone if you don't have it already.

I have only tested installing this ROM with my new, recently compiled and built custom recovery: TWRP 2.5.0.0. If you have any success with my ALSO recently compiled CWM please let me know.

Instructions:
1) Copy ROM to your sdcard.
2) Boot into TWRP recovery.
3) Do a backup of /system, /data, and /boot as installing this ROM will do a complete wipe.
4) THIS ROM WILL WIPE /system and /data/local SO BE SURE YOUR DATA IS BACKED UP TO YOUR COMPUTER.
5) Install the ROM. Wait awhile.
6) Reboot and wait several minutes as it does alot of first-time things.
7) Enjoy.

Thanks! I'll be sure to try it out later.

Thanks, please let me know if anything is wrong. This isn't my main phone so my testing is limited to making sure it turns on LOL.

On a side note, I've been able to compile the ROM from LG sources, but I'm stuck on where/how to add the proprietary libs. If anyone reading this knows how, please feel free to message/post in here.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately the same problems seem to still exist :(. I wish I could help you with this but I have no experience with coding/compiling/anything beyond flashing roms and wiping my recovery.

Thanks for your effort though, we're keeping this forum from dying by posting and I appreciate your efforts in making new things.

Upvote 0
When it FCs are you presented with a chance to view the error report and subsequently the log/raw data? I'm interested in the actual stack trace if possible as that would narrow down how/why the error was occurring.

If it is possible, screenshots would work and I could give you a better understanding of why it FCs.

Have you also tried doing a "Fix Permissions" under recovery?

Upvote 0
Fix permissions usually only lasts for one boot, and the phone also slows down a lot... It's a really frustrating and persistant issue. I think I posted what types of FC's I got it Karendar's thread, but I may be mistaken. I won't have the opportunity to try it out again for a while (maybe the next two or three days), but I will respond as soon as I do.

I'm just curious as to how it's running on other phones, is the rom working fine on your end?

Upvote 0
Fix permissions usually only lasts for one boot, and the phone also slows down a lot... It's a really frustrating and persistant issue. I think I posted what types of FC's I got it Karendar's thread, but I may be mistaken. I won't have the opportunity to try it out again for a while (maybe the next two or three days), but I will respond as soon as I do.

I'm just curious as to how it's running on other phones, is the rom working fine on your end?

Are you using Darktremor's App2SD? Switching to that seems to have fixed the random reboot then force close issues i had. I have not tried this new rom yet but may next week.

Reactions: karendar
Upvote 0
I really have a tendency to believe the FC issues are just related to the Dalvik folder not being detected/created properly with the ROM... I can't really provide any further input, but installing Darktremor's APP2SD did solve the issue as mentionned above. I think I wrote a procedure to get it running a while back...

I would basically create a 2GB partition on the SD card in ext4, install app2sd, use it to move dalvik cache to the SD card and then everything was perfect again.

Could it be folder permissions for Dalvik folder not being created properly? Or a symlink not working? Dalvik is usually located in /data/dalvik-cache, but I know LG in all its glory sometimes symlinks to /cache/dalvik-cache (Which is a HUUUUUGE mistake)

Androidwkim: http://androidforums.com/shine-all-things-root/642129-benefits-running-sd.html#post5175505

Full procedure on app2sd... And to be honest, this feature is the only way to use this phone. :D

Upvote 0
Thank you for the suggestion Cjmaniac and Karendar, I finally have some free time tonight so I will be trying that out later.

Jparasite, I'll try to get a list of the exact force closes that happen. Usually they all come at a bunch and you're unable to do anything because they keep on coming everytime I cancel. And it does not offer me any option to view logs or anything of that sort, just "Ok" the message and close it.

I'll edit this post later after I have double-checked which kinds of force closes I get, but checking my previous posts they seem to be contact, services framework and messages that first go bad and then cause all of the other fc's. Contacts/services/messages all seem to go bad when downloading apps that require SIM storage or Phone/Contacts permissions. I also had issues with saving contacts to SIM.

Edit: I checked the link given, but there seem to be weird some weird symbols. For example, one of the lines has:
Block Device - [ԣ

Upvote 0
It's been too long so I can't remember, but there is some bloat apps on the phone that can be safely deleted. I was down to around 83MB in file size compared to the 97MB of the original rom. Try not to delete apps that seem important (obviously leave system apps like settings alone), but apps like Music and Browser can be safely deleted. Don't add apps, it seems like the rom doesn't auto-install apps that have been manually added to the zip file.

Upvote 0
It's been too long so I can't remember, but there is some bloat apps on the phone that can be safely deleted. I was down to around 83MB in file size compared to the 97MB of the original rom. Try not to delete apps that seem important (obviously leave system apps like settings alone), but apps like Music and Browser can be safely deleted. Don't add apps, it seems like the rom doesn't auto-install apps that have been manually added to the zip file.

Thanks.

Since I posted this I played around with it a bit and got it down somewhat. Now I'm trying to learn how to build Android so I can port something to this phone, but I have a long way to go :)

Let me ask the experts here, it seems to me that the ZTE Blade has very similar specs, and I found some CyanogenMod ports for it, going up to Android 4.3. Do you guys think it might be possible to port a ROM like that to the Shine Plus?

This is more of a hobby right now, but I'm very eager to see if I can breathe new life into this old device.

I tried using dsixda's kitchen porting feature, but I understand that trying to port from LG stock 2.3 to CM 4.3 is a real long shot :D (it didn't work).

Upvote 0
Haha well this has been a long time... I might be going in to Telus today for their trade in deal that offers $100 of credit for a new phone. If so, this will be the last time I hold on to this phone, which is slightly weird. I hated it at most times, but with a custom rom and oc+seeder, it was pretty nice to use. Hopefully they'll accept the other junk phone and I get to keep this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones