[ROM]Vanilla Captivate (Fast, AOSP, Vanilla, Signed)

Last Updated:

1. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer This Topic's Starter

It's Here!!! Get it Now​

Vanilla Captivate 0.1​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Download Vanilla Captivate 0.1

Features:Root, Superuser, Terminal Emulator, Launcher Pro 0.7.7.2
    Problems:
    ToDo: Data, GPS, Bluetooth, Camera
    Credits:
    Changelog:

All Credit And Thanks Goes to: Hansmrtn over at XDA-Devs

Stay tuned for themes as well. Vanilla Android is the easiest firmware to theme. I'll definitely be working on a few in the coming weeks. Give the developer of this wonderful ROM time to progress.

Advertisement
  2. ronaldramsayii

Reserved.....

3. ronaldramsayii

This one to just in case.....you never know lol.

4. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Are you planning on Vanilla Captivate being 2.1 or 2.2 Froyo at release?

5. ronaldramsayii

It's not my build, but I know it'll be a 2.1 build from start, but since Vanilla Android 2.1 is running on Captivate now, I know 2.2 Froyo will be coming soon. I know a developer is already working on Froyo, possibly CyanogenMod is working on one as well...

6. vapor311

vapor311 Well-Known Member

please tell me the bene's of going to this vanilla build.

7. ronaldramsayii

What do you mean?

8. vapor311

im asking whats the purpose of putting this on there, im already rooted, side load enabled, can install apks directly on the phone, have full market access...

whats the advantage to putting this on it?

9. ronaldramsayii

Oh....Ok....Well since that's what you're asking....

This will be a Vanilla Android ROM.....every developers dream. Vanilla meaning plain Android, no Touchwiz or anything. You'll have to use an alternative launcher....which will probably be Launcher Pro, by default. Notice the framework, the keyboard, the notification bar....it's completely stock....No themes or anything, at least not yet.

Running a Vanilla ROM instead of a ROM that has Touchwiz or Sense UI will make the phone way more faster. A lot more options can be worked in also. This is just the tip of the iceberg. This doesn't root your phone, or provide a lag fix, this gets rid of Touchwiz...and provide users like me the Vanilla Android experience.

10. whitenerj

whitenerj Active Member

Will I be able to install this simply using ROM MANAGER? What is the ETA on the firmware?

11. ronaldramsayii

Yep this will work with ROM Manager and Clockworkmod Recovery. It'll only be compatible with it.

ETA.....Tomorrow lol

12. whitenerj

whitenerj Active Member

Cool so will this fix some of the issues in the Vibrant hybrid like GPS not working and contact sim card initializing?

Jason

13. ronaldramsayii

I know GPS is still an issue. As for the sim card issue, I believe that is worked out. I will test and see, it'll be released tomorrow evening....well.....this evening. As far as I know though, the four issues with this ROM are the ones listed above, which is why this is just an Alpha build....

14. whitenerj

whitenerj Active Member

So are there any other ROMS for the Captivate that run 100% well? I know of the I897UCJH3 firmwares and such but are there any others that are vanilla enclair?

15. ronaldramsayii

Not at this point. Everyone is trying their hardest to get those features working. It's ironic the 4 major features are the ones that we are having issues with. Sucks, but it'll be working real soon. I assure you....

16. vapor311

ah so this is basically to give you a blank canvas in which to work with. I get it. Thats pretty slick. At this point its taken me so long to learn how to do the other shit I did all by manual command in pac terminal, im gonna pass, wait for att to butcher my froyo update then do it all over again as I imagine they will find a way to bork my phone in the update.

Br extremely cool that you can do this and bsaically strip the phone to raw essentials and make a blank canvas to do as you please and develop with.

I might do it to my wifes for shits and giggles. :)

17. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

What sucks to me is that every phone maker doesn't include vanilla as an option. It is great that Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc., have all made their own UIs, however, vanilla should always be an option.

18. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Ronald, I have a question about this (and any other custom rom). Is it possible to flash this rom and then reinstall the puzzle pieces from the stock captivate rom or is there an addon that mimics it? Honestly, that is the only thing that I really like about touchwiz (at least I assume it is a feature of touchwiz). Overall, I would vastly prefer vanilla but hate losing my puzzle pieces for texts/calls missed.

19. ronaldramsayii

Unfortunately it's a part of the framework. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it'll take some time since it's implemented in missed calls as well as text messaging. I'll give it a try and see what I can do, although this isn't my ROM, I will be theming this, so I'll try to implement it. I do realize a lot of people like that feature, heck I even like the feature.

myrv likes this.
  20. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Honestly, Google just needs to steal that feature or have it as an option for Gingerbread. Whichever team member over at Samsung came up with that idea, they need a raise as it is possibly one of the best features I have seen in a non-stock Android release.

21. ronaldramsayii

Hansmrtn doesn't have the time to fix the issues that's present with this build. I'm trying to adopt his build and try and figure things out. If it happens where I can work with this build, I will do what i can to get things working.