• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM] Velocity V1.2 | LG Ally | Android 2.2.2 Froyo | Sexy | Sleek | Stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently having an issue..not really so much a major one. When i open up the terminal emulator, it says it cannot create directory /system/etc/velocity that it is read only file system. I also noticed there is no files in the velocity folder on my sd card. Any suggestions?

Pretty sure I've seen this before but at the moment I can't find the post. I think it was solved by re-flashing the ROM. Remember to clear the caches and user data and to flash the 1.21 update immediately after flashing the ROM.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I may have found a much better keyboard alternative, and I wanted to try out here on the forum. I'm using TouchPal. It seems to address all the annoyances being overlooked by the other 2 I mentioned trying. Plus it has some really nice editing features too, like arrow keys to move the cursor when desired. :)

My wife has been running Smart Keyboard Trial on her Ally and really likes it.

I don't remember if it offers arrow keys. The big feature we both liked about it (her on the Ally, me on D1) was it enabled text prediction/spell check with the physical keyboard.

Upvote 0
My wife has been running Smart Keyboard Trial on her Ally and really likes it.

I don't remember if it offers arrow keys. The big feature we both liked about it (her on the Ally, me on D1) was it enabled text prediction/spell check with the physical keyboard.

Text prediction can be a love-hate relationship. ;) Its great when it picks the right word, but annoying if it gets the wrong words incessantly. That's what shoved me away from Swype. That, and also ignoring when I tried to turn OFF auto correction.

Upvote 0
:D

I'm getting a replacement in less than a week. And I'm going to torture myself with the stock ROM for a couple weeks before flashing Velocity, just in case there are any hardware issues. I should be able to use the nandroid I made just prior to flashing back to stock, right?

That's good to hear! As I understand it, yes you can flash that nandroid and be right back to Velocity again. :) BUT..... You can't flash a nandroid until you are rooted again. AND.... there may be an issue with rooting and ever being able to get into Fastboot depending upon how new the ROM in the replacement phone they send you actually is. So you probably should talk to someone like Savoxis just to make sure on these details.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't imagine that rooting would be a problem. The Ally I'm replacing is only a few months old, and I rooted it flawlessly, twice (once for bloatware removal and once when I finally got tired of the stock ROM). Being that the Ally is pretty much an end of life device these days, I wouldn't expect the ROM in the replacement to be very different from the ROM my original one shipped with.

Upvote 0
I no longer remember the exact details, but it had something to do with whether or not you rooted the Ally before updating to Froyo. IIRC, if the phone already has Froyo, and you want to ever be able to load FastBoot (which you probably would only need if you bricked the Ally trying to flash a ROM) then you would have to root it, perform a procedure that takes it back to pre-Froyo status, then flash a ROM that can be downloaded from this site which enables Fastboot if needed. Then after all that move back up to the Froyo ROM, likely by way of your nandroid. But as I said, I may not be remembering all this correctly.

Upvote 0
Interesting, though I only ever rooted my phone after the 2.2.2 update. I have pretty much no experience with fastboot, and I've really never heard of such procedures, probably because I didn't end up bricking my phone. The rooting method I ended up using was the one-click GingerBreak apk built around the exploit of the same name, which (from what I hear) nearly always works flawlessly with Froyo and some earlier versions of Gingerbread (hence the name GingerBreak).

At any rate, being that I had no problems with GingerBreak and Froyo 2.2.2 the two times I rooted my original Ally, I don't foresee any problems with the replacement.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear you got it. I can't imagine going back to the way the Ally worked (barely) before Velocity. I never was able to keep installed all the apps I wanted because I didn't have anywhere near the room.

I have to say I am spoiled with the amount of memory and 16GB SD together on the Droid X. I don't think I could ever fill this thing up. :D

Upvote 0
Hey guys just went from 1.1 on my girlfriends Ally to 1.2.1. Did a full wipe before installing and now all the market apps are gone. They do not show up in my apps in the market. Did all the quick fix stuff I could find while searching google and have had no luck. Any way to get them back?

Well you kinda answerd yourself. You did a full wipe therefore im guessing you wiped data which deletes all you downloaded apps so your going to have to redownload them.

Upvote 0
Well, as you can see from my profile summary next to all my posts, I've moved over to Bionic Zer0 as my main ROM. Much as I love Velocity, Bionic Zer0 just gets it better for me I guess. Also, there's the fact that it's new and will continue to receive support from its dev.

At any rate, I had a good - albeit short - run with Velocity and I'll be checking in on this thread periodically just to see if anything new comes up.

Upvote 0
Just thought velocity's creators should see this. I didn't see any well deserved credit given here..... velocity 1.2.1 rolled out .

That looks kind of fishy. There is just a direct download link, without any kind of description, or credit to 'anyone' for making it. I PM'd Savoxis to see if it is legit? If it is, it would have been nice for someone to mention the support was moving from this forum. But I am going to bet something isn't kosher.

Upvote 0
Doesnt the droid x have excellent gingerbread ports? You should go snoop through the x threads over at xda im sure youll find something equivalent

I'm running CM7 on Gingerbread 650. It is nice and stable, and this arrangement totally FIXES the problem with calendar alarms not sounding due to Motorola screwing up their last stock OS release to this phone. :D

Upvote 0
That looks kind of fishy. There is just a direct download link, without any kind of description, or credit to 'anyone' for making it. I PM'd Savoxis to see if it is legit? If it is, it would have been nice for someone to mention the support was moving from this forum. But I am going to bet something isn't kosher.

Different forums
Different rules

Just the excitement of new android software for your device will get to yah. we host it with our rules while they lead people here. As long as they dont post any of the above over there than i believe its fine. (Going by rules of moderation at atf)

Upvote 0
Different forums
Different rules

Just the excitement of new android software for your device will get to yah. we host it with our rules while they lead people here. As long as they dont post any of the above over there than i believe its fine. (Going by rules of moderation at atf)

Oh, so it is actually you same devs that are doing it over there? I didn't realize that. I thought something untoward was happening behind your backs. (Wouldn't be the first time that happened with Velocity.) Just wanted you guys to know. But I'm glad it's all legit. :)

Upvote 0
Everythings fine, i tend to be everywhere monitoring (0.0 im watching you <_<)
But yes, things like this happen alot and its taken care of correctly. Sometimes people have been known to post software for a device just to sit back and watch a mass brick warefare and laugh at the people who attempted to flash it. (Happened at android tablet forums)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones