[ROM] Viper 4G 2.0.0 and beyond

1. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

Not sure, I didn't delve to deep, just closed running apps but was still having the drain. I am guessing it was stuck checking location or syncing with its server.
  2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

today i did a full install of v2.0.2 that I gave a little bit of brain damage to. Custom Ringtones work and so far so does everything else.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Have you seen the other CleanRom? By newboy I think?

I'm pondering a little brain salad surgery between its apps and this base...
  4. argedion

no i haven't. that sounds like a fun project. pm me and I'll join in on it with you we'll see what we can create from them. that is if you want the extra set of hands :)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  5. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

So I'm looking at the changelog on this version, and I don't see anything that really jumps out at me as making a big difference. I haven't Lazy Panda's yet, and it seems necessary for this ROM (since I have been reading that there are issues otherwise). So I don't care to take the time, jump through the hoops, and subject my phone to the risk (though minor), if there's nothing really wonderful in the upgrade.

Maybe I'm missing something.... Can anyone tell me what the big deal is with 2.0.2 over 1.0.0?
  6. argedion

yes it a difference of 1.0.2 :D
  7. ckholladay21

ckholladay21 Member

I flashed viper 4G 2.0.1 from 1.0 after doing a full wipe. Upon the setup I noticed that my people app took forever to load. Any app that pulled info from people also loaded slow. Sms, email, etc.
    I did an ota to viper 4G 2.0.2 hoping that would fix it. It did not, and I even tried doing a full flash of 2.0.2 using twrp. Still no luck... Any advice?
  8. argedion

try to wipe dalvic and cache and see if that helps if not see if it does it with another ROM. If it doesn't then try to do a full wipe x 3 and then install 2.0.2 see if it does it then
    ckholladay21 likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

This rev is far more responsive and hands down better on multitasking.

S-off isn't required, just fastboot flash the stock kernel boot.img first to avoid bootloops from a kernel / rom mismatch.

Ditto on the new radios, you really need those here.

The only downside is that you lose your Apple linkify fix, as do all roms on the new base.

Go into app management and clear data from People and any apps that feed it for you such as Facebook and Twitter.

Then re-sync everything.

There's talk at XDA that the lag is caused by fragmentation in the sql database for that stuff.
    CriticalCritic likes this.
  10. SamuraiBigEd

Maybe the spiders from Mars can do something about that.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  11. nullspace

nullspace Well-Known Member

They were still wondering why not everybody seemed to be affected by it though. The one person posted that the lag went away after clearing the data then restoring it back, but the lag came back...or something along those lines.

Do you notice any difference after de-Sensing?
  12. EarlyMon

Ah, figures. I haven't been over there today or since that last tidbit. :(

No changes to my rom or the tests I wanted to do, stuff came up on the site, and poof went my time, so I am still stock with Nova on top.
  13. argedion

from my perspective desensed is really just derosie its nova laucher or apex your choice or if you prefer ssLauncher :D yes i did

there are still a ton of htc apps in the "Desensed" version of the ROM.
    nullspace likes this.
  14. EarlyMon

Guess I didn't post this here -

Tre Lawrence and argedion like this.
  15. spdkilz02

spdkilz02 Well-Known Member

Does anyone on here use the Handcent app for texting? Mine seems to lag a lot when trying to open it up.
  16. argedion

try EM's suggestion its sounds like its a people thing do any other apps seem laggy that use People? Facebook for instance? or it uses them what ever :D
  17. SamuraiBigEd

I quit using Handcent with my 3D, I was having the same and other problems then.

I think I did briefly load it on the ElTevo but still noticed the problems and that was stock unrooted.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  18. argedion

I had lots of lag problems with it back then been using Go SMS ever since.
    jackie08 and EarlyMon like this.
  19. spdkilz02

spdkilz02 Well-Known Member

Ok I dumped the handcent app and installed the go sms app. That one seems to be a lot better.
  20. EarlyMon

Fwiw, if you go menu, settings, Basic tab, running mode, normal, you'll find it doesn't babble at you to use their other services.

I use the ICS theme and then instead of its wallpaper, just black. Looks pretty sharp to me. :)
  21. ckholladay21

ckholladay21 Member

I tried wiping cache and dalvic, but it didn't do anything. After a full wipe and re-flash of the ROM things seem to be working fine. :)

Thanks!
    argedion likes this.
  22. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Well-Known Member

I've found a great solution for many things is to do a dirty flash. Clear cache and dalvik cache then flash the ROM over itself. This way you don't have to back everything up just to stay on the same ROM.
  23. nullspace

Is the Sprint hotspot unlocked in this ROM?
  24. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

I believe so, yup just tested, it fired right up. :)

On another note:

I've seen quite a few random reboots, mostly at night while the phone is asleep. Notice when I get up, up time is only a few hours. Might have to back everything up and flash the full Rom outright.

I like the OTA option for the ROM, but it goes agensed my better judgement.
    nullspace and argedion like this.
  25. nullspace

Hmm, why aren't people using the hotspot when they are having trouble getting wifi tethering working?