• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP] BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme

Is there a trick to charging the phone when it's powered off ? I think I am missing something. I've tried booting into recovery but the screen stays on and I have no indication that the phone is actually charging. I have the latest build of IHO inastalled and running smoothly. What did I miss ??
If you are running the 01102012 build, then you just turn off your phone and plug it in. Or you can plug it in and then turn off your phone. Either way, it should boot into charging mode, where you will see a greyish background with a large battery icon that has a charging animation.

To power up your phone while it is charging this way, long press your power button. ;)

Upvote 0
When you turn the phone off with it charging, does it go to a screen that shows a battery? That's what mine does after the last update. It is supposed to be charging there.

Thanks for the response mazz ... uh uh ! It reboots the phone. Not sure why but it does. Just checked the build on my phone and it is 20120109.15418

I've been running these builds since August and they are the best thing I ever did to my V. I wonder if I have a bad flash. I hate to mess with it since everything else is working so well. If ya got any other ideas let me know. It's certainly not a deal breaker for me .. that's for sure.

Upvote 0
From what I understand the reboot while charging issue has been a bug since the beginning. I see you are running 109. The reboot/charging thing was fixed in 110 (the very latest).

Thanks Mazz ... just realized that I am a build behind !!!!!! Pretty embarassed at the moment. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time here. I swear I'm better than this.

Sheeeeesh !!!!

Upvote 0
I noticed something, when you reboot while plugged in it will just go into charging mode. If you try to power on while plugged in it will just go back to the power screen. If it's already on it stays on no problem.

Yeah when I reboot I have to long press the power button to get out of the charging screen. Jerry posted he didn't think the reboot thing was intentional and was looking into it.

Reactions: benslgdroid
Upvote 0
i hope you installed a compatible recovery after rooting

After rooting, I did:

Install custom recovery image

The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

4. Download and copy the recovery image VM670NH_recovery.img (works with new & old OV screens) onto your /sdcard.
5. Install the Flash Image GUI app (save the .apk to a /sdcard directory, then open it with file manager). Run the app & select 'Recovery Image' option with the file above.

I followed instructions posted by Whyzor on August 2nd, 2011 at http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-how-simplified-root-recovery-custom-rom.html and the instructions on the first page of this thread.

Now a few questions:
What apps should I install to make this rooting useful?
How do I remove some of the bloatware that I don't use or want?
How do I move everything else to the SD card?
If you could point me to the right threads...

Thanks,
Gerald

Upvote 0
After rooting, I did:

Install custom recovery image

The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

4. Download and copy the recovery image VM670NH_recovery.img (works with new & old OV screens) onto your /sdcard.
5. Install the Flash Image GUI app (save the .apk to a /sdcard directory, then open it with file manager). Run the app & select 'Recovery Image' option with the file above.

I followed instructions posted by Whyzor on August 2nd, 2011 at http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-how-simplified-root-recovery-custom-rom.html and the instructions on the first page of this thread.

Now a few questions:
What apps should I install to make this rooting useful?
How do I remove some of the bloatware that I don't use or want?
How do I move everything else to the SD card?
If you could point me to the right threads...

Thanks,
Gerald

This thread is about BACKside-IHO, not about rooting and recovery, those are steps you should be comfortable with before flashing a new ROM. Once you have installed BACKside-IHO, we will be happy to help you with any issues you may have in this thread.

For now, please start a new thread, or post your questions in a thread related to your questions. ;)

Upvote 0
Just rooted my friends new V, I was suprised that he managed to get the older, better models, instead of the newer one. 3 phone I've managed rom root successfully, and installed a fresh copy of BACKside to it, so now I can have him test out battery life, as well as any bugs, as well as myself, and report back with issues that either of us come across and can't resolve on purty own. Hopefully I can find a newer v to see if issues vary among the older models and newer ones.

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
Does anybody have any thoughts on my previously mentioned issue with the new Google Music not being able to install? http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...m-cm7-green-machine-theme-53.html#post3792645 I have renamed the music.apk to music,apk.bak. I have also cleared out cache and dalvik cache.

I've always restored my backup, only Google item I do, because this was an issue before but I've never had it. A little bit back on the thread they discuss it but I don't know if they figured it out

Upvote 0
Does anybody have any thoughts on my previously mentioned issue with the new Google Music not being able to install? http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...m-cm7-green-machine-theme-53.html#post3792645 I have renamed the music.apk to music,apk.bak. I have also cleared out cache and dalvik cache.

There was a post here in this thread somewhere by Jerry that had instructions on how to get it to install, but I couldn't get that to work for me. I ended up having to do a completely clean install (clean install meaning the second set of flash instructions Jerry gives when coming from another rom). Once I did that, Google Music installed without issue. I hated wiping everything but it got the app installed, so was worth it for me.

Upvote 0
I used TiB to unistall music.apk, then the newer one installed without issue.
For me when I uninstall the stock music app with Titanium Backup I get an apk not found error. I then restore my google music beta, it will go on restoring for ever, but after about 10 minutes I can use music and it is fine. Once I restore after the restore the app shortcut is fixed.

Upvote 0
Did I have a bad flash, or does the latest BACKside build install the original Optimus V startup graphics? When I power up the phone I see first the IHO splash, then what looks like the stock OV "Hello" graphic and animation, and then the Virgin Mobile logo until the lock screen comes up.

Is that the default for BACKside-IHO-VM670-01102012 ? I wiped the cache and Dalvik cache before updating from 12212011. I have no other themes installed. Boot animations are turned off in Cyanomod performance settings, but this doesn't seem to affect what I describe above.

Upvote 0
Yes, the VM first bootanimation is back, for now. It's part of the excellent work tdm (aka Tom Marshall) did getting the charging-while-powered-off bug fixed. We had to grab two binaries from initrd and all the battery charging and first bootanimation graphics, modify the init.thunderc.rc to use them appropriately, and then have you guys all test it out for bugs.

Now that it has been out for the better part of a week, with no bug reports, I'll be creating my own first bootanimation to replace the stock VM one. ;)

Note- wait till you see what I have cooking for April Fools Day!

Upvote 0
@ Germitty and norwoodsteel:

I want to apologize for my post #2636, I was confused and didn't realize all the posts related to your discussion. Please accept my apology, I didn't intend to be rude. I myself am one of the biggest offenders when it comes to posting something outside the thread's subject matter. I was wrong to chastise you for helping each other out!

AndyOpie let me know I misunderstood what was going on, thanks Andy! ;)

Upvote 0
@ Germitty and norwoodsteel:

I want to apologize for my post #2636, I was confused and didn't realize all the posts related to your discussion. Please accept my apology, I didn't intend to be rude. I myself am one of the biggest offenders when it comes to posting something outside the thread's subject matter. I was wrong to chastise you for helping each other out!

AndyOpie let me know I misunderstood what was going on, thanks Andy! ;)

No big deal [or little deal]. The patience that you show with others is something we all need to strive for.

If you build it the noobs will come.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones