• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP] BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme

I've been dying to flash the new rom even more so now with the UI improvements. Was wondering if there would be complications trying to use data2ext over app2sd. I was curious to the differences and if it would be possible to continue to use data2ext since I believe app2sd is already implemented on the build / Bob's kernel. :D

And to my understanding its one or the other but I wasn't 100%

Any feedback???

Upvote 0
I wondered why that would happen. It's especially visible in Pulse newsreader. I use this app everyday and sometimes I can barely tell what the headlines say. Hopefully, you'll find the culprit soon. :D

uG7Pe.png

Yes, I have the exact same problem, and it only happens in Pulse.

Upvote 0
Hmm that iskinda strange, well strange that I don't have this issue, I'll post a screenshot of my pulse in a second. And yes I'm running this rom as well.
Try installing the latest version of this rom, I noticed that you don't have the centered clock, that's what tipped me that you aren't running the latest version. That could be your issue.

297754_295886817094085_100000183072586_1451656_1659393752_n.jpg

Upvote 0
Hmm that iskinda strange, well strange that I don't have this issue, I'll post a screenshot of my pulse in a second. And yes I'm running this rom as well.
Try installing the latest version of this rom, I noticed that you don't have the centered clock, that's what tipped me that you aren't running the latest version. That could be your issue.

Actually, you have it too if you look closely at the first espn headline, but thanks for the tip. The newest update did somehow fix it a bit. Try finding a source (reddit is a good example) or post with a white background, scroll through (vital step :)), and I bet you will start to see the glitch. I think it's ultimately the transparency effect, as 83thomas has found, that is the source of the problem so a big thanks to him for pointing that out.

Reactions: 83thomas
Upvote 0
Actually, you have it too if you look closely at the first espn headline, but thanks for the tip. The newest update did somehow fix it a bit. Try finding a source (reddit is a good example) or post with a white background, scroll through (vital step :)), and I bet you will start to see the glitch. I think it's ultimately the transparency effect, as 83thomas has found, that is the source of the problem so a big thanks to him for pointing that out.

I am glad I am not the only one has this issue.

I put my phone in debug mode last night, and examined the debug log a little bit further, and found out the really cause of this bug is the Pulse app tries to set the background color to Dark, and it issues a setDark() method call, unfortunately, for some reason, the method is undefined, and the app. throws an exception. Based on all the images I saw, it only happened when the image font is white and the setDark could not set the background to dark or black, therefore, all the white fonts got messed up.

I tried to get the some .so files from an previous working ROM and replaced them in the latest Jerry's ROM, but nothing changed. So I am thinking maybe there are some Java drawing classes missing the required setDark method got removed or something.

Just hope someone with access to the ROM source could look into this, someone like Jerry or BobZ? :D

Thanks

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
I am glad I am not the only one has this issue.

I put my phone in debug mode last night, and examined the debug log a little bit further, and found out the really cause of this bug is the Pulse app tries to set the background color to Dark, and it issues a setDark() method call, unfortunately, for some reason, the method is undefined, and the app. throws an exception. Based on all the images I saw, it only happened when the image font is white and the setDark could not set the background to dark or black, therefore, all the white fonts got messed up.

I tried to get the some .so files from an previous working ROM and replaced them in the latest Jerry's ROM, but nothing changed. So I am thinking maybe there are some Java drawing classes missing the required setDark method got removed or something.

Just hope someone with access to the ROM source could look into this, someone like Jerry or BobZ? :D

Thanks

If someone can do a file search from the source codes and put a try...catch block around this single setDark() method call, whenever an exception happens just set background color to black or some other color so we can at least see what the white fonts are, then I am happy.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Yea I failed to notice that small glitched part, but that's the only time I've seen it on my phone with this build, in a previous build I noticed it in the bookmarks section in the browser, but didn't really mind it too much since it was just a minor glitch. I've haven't had any where it is so bad I can read, it has only been a small piece in the corner of the bbookmarks "add" selection. And this is the second time I've seen it (in pulse) but then again, its not nearly as bad as the others. Even in facebooke, for Mr it shows how it is intended to be. And I have Widgets that use transparency and they are completely fine. I'm sure Jerry would find a way to fix this in the next build. Till then, we just gotta wait.

Upvote 0
:thinking: Just wondering if anybody knew the answer to my previous question regarding app2sd vs data2ext on the new builds of this rom. Any feedback is highly appreciated. :thinking:

*Edit*

Well seeing as bobs roms has the newest version of android (2.3.7) I think I'll just bite the bullet and play with app2sd.
You are fast at noticing the new release :eek:

Anyway, try wiping/formatting everything EXCEPT SDcard.
I never upgrade when testing my ROM's, I always start with everything fresh, to make sure things are working correctly. I haven't had any issue's with a2sd, I'm not sure what your having for a problem...I'll have to read back.

The reason for me coming here:
We now have Android version 2.3.7

New build posted https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary

Please don't thank me, instead donate to Blarf for all the great work he has done.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
I've been dying to flash the new rom even more so now with the UI improvements. Was wondering if there would be complications trying to use data2ext over app2sd. I was curious to the differences and if it would be possible to continue to use data2ext since I believe app2sd is already implemented on the build / Bob's kernel. :D

And to my understanding its one or the other but I wasn't 100%
Both programs do basically the same thing...in that they enable you to move/run apps from your SDcard.

Reactions: Kirurus
Upvote 0
Ya I'm always checking into forums, doing research before I go flashing new roms. I still have the 8/31 version of backside and have been waiting for more major changes to happen before flashing something new. I haven't tried flashing any new roms as of yet because setting up data2ext after flashing is a HUGE pain. I've never played around with app2sd so I'm unfamiliar with how it works. Now I've done a bit of resarch on it and from what I understand is that it allows you to place whichever apps you want onto your sd cards partition where data2ext makes your phone think the partition on ur sd is the internal memory, and no apps besides what are considered the system apps get moved to the partition. correct me if i'm wrong here. Are they basically the same thing or is app2sd more like the app2sd app on the market or what is already implemented in CM7 where it moves a piece of the app to your sd card / partition? I'm just really curious as to the differences.

Sorry about the long post... Just trying to get my facts straight here.

*Edit*

Found this post on my search for knowledge

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1061141.html

*Edit #2*

I'm thinking I'm just going to test out the new builds, probably Bob's, (no offense to you Jerry, been using your rom for quite a while and don't think I can pass up 2.3.7) and see how app2sd compares to data2ext, since I believe they shouldn't be implemented together or you'll run into issues. I don't think I'd be having such a hard time deciding what I should do if things like the V6 supercharger and app2sd were already implemented into the build. Not saying that its a bad thing, since it makes it much easier so you don't have to deal with adding those things on yourself. But those types of things I feel should be left to the discretion of the user.

Again sorry about the long post. And again many thanks to all you devs out there. If I wasn't so poor I would donate to all those responsible for the Gingerbread greatness on the Optimus V. :D

Upvote 0
You are fast at noticing the new release :eek:

Anyway, try wiping/formatting everything EXCEPT SDcard.
I never upgrade when testing my ROM's, I always start with everything fresh, to make sure things are working correctly. I haven't had any issue's with a2sd, I'm not sure what your having for a problem...I'll have to read back.

The reason for me coming here:
We now have Android version 2.3.7

New build posted https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary

Please don't thank me, instead donate to Blarf for all the great work he has done.

Enjoy!

Hi Bobz,
been rocking your 9/26 rom an tried to update to 9/29 but get stuck on the LG screen. Any hints besides wipes?

Upvote 0
i noticed in the differences log mgr666 rom has the smart ass governer fix by bob. Do we have that as well?

I didn't fix smartass(it gone)...I switched to smartassV2:D

Hi Bobz,
been rocking your 9/26 rom an tried to update to 9/29 but get stuck on the LG screen. Any hints besides wipes?
For you my son :cool:, It's either restore your backup or do the unthinkable with a full wipe :rolleyes:

Bob

Reactions: cunhamv
Upvote 0
---Updating from a previous BACKside-IHO build

1) Download the newest build, and GreenMachineTheme zip if you like, and place them on your sdcard

2) Boot into recovery and make a backup (imho, not optional ;))

3) Wipe cache and dalvik cache

4) Flash the BACKside-IHO zip file

5) Flash the GreenMachineTheme (optional)

6) Flash gapps

7) Reboot and enjoy
First time updating a ROM and feeling like a n00b all over again (thanks!). I understand these steps, that isn't my question. It is once I do this, is my phone going to be in the state I first booted after the first install of CM7? Or will it be like it was before I flash the update, but with the update?

Just want to know what to expect after I boot my phone (and to know exactly how much time I need to devote to spending setting everything up again).

Upvote 0
First time updating a ROM and feeling like a n00b all over again (thanks!). I understand these steps, that isn't my question. It is once I do this, is my phone going to be in the state I first booted after the first install of CM7? Or will it be like it was before I flash the update, but with the update?

Just want to know what to expect after I boot my phone (and to know exactly how much time I need to devote to spending setting everything up again).
When you only wipe cache partition and Dalvik cache you don't loose your apps or anything else you downloaded(including all apps data). You won't even notice a difference right at first,might take a while to use something that the update affected in a positive way. The only thing that changed on me was a few apps that were on the sd card would not show there respective info in the task bar like before I updated. I just moved them to the phone side and fixed that.

You might also think about overclocking to 768 or 787Mhz max - and 480MHz min as this seems to be the best CPU setting for the BACkside ROM. You/your wife will get the best battery off charge time,and the battery will actually run cooler.

If you want an even smoother feel to the phone try V6 supercharger. It's really easy to set up and run. Go here [Script][U9 Beta 6.1] V6 SuperCharger! The ONLY Android MEMORY FIXER! 3G & KAK! - xda-developers
When you have it set up and have chosen a scroll speed,next select option 9. Then select option 17(exit). Then exit and reboot your phone. Go back and select the scroll speed again! Then choose option number 12, then option 17 again. Exit and smooth operating. This info was originally posted By JerryScript . I just filled in the blanks.

Reactions: yogi-4 and MacFett
Upvote 0
Hi all,

I actually have BobZHome's build, but I imagine the problems might be the same. I'm trying to port my old sprint number to my new VM plan, and I'm now at the part where I have to enter ##VIRGIN# to program the phone with the new MDN and MSID. The problem is nothing happens when I enter that key combo. It just stays there and doesn't enter the Service Program menu that it's supposed to. Is there an alternate way to get to this menu or is my only to choice to flash back to stock android?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones