• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP] BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme

I asked Jerry about this earlier in this thread. IIRC, he said it is a problem with the cyanogenmod port and he does not like to mess with the actual phone script.

In other words, a fix is not in the works.

I've learned to just do the volume trick. Doesn't bug me anymore.

Just to clarify this issue. It is a known issue on Gerrit, the code review system for CyanogenMod. It is unknown when it will be resolved.

Reactions: Petrah
Upvote 0
This ROM is great however with all the Bloatware the bat life sucks balls LOL. I am using Reborn ROM with the Bumblebee Kernel and my bat life is 1% drain every 3 hours "just power on, no talk". I have tried this ROM and my bat is about 5% drain per 1 hour. Also everything works on Reborn including the new market unlike a lot of the other froyo Roms. Don't get me wrong, this is a beautifull ROM it is just a bat pig!!! I would be happy with 1% per hour but 5% per hour just does not cut it when when your phone is doing nothing more then just being powered on. Anyway, please remove the Bloatware and fix the power button so it does not kill a call when you press it to kill the screen to save bat power. I know you can remap the keys and I have but it would be nice if you didn't have to, I tried all the options to fix this but it is for sure a bug and a key remap is the only fix... :cool:

Something is wrong with your phone and/or settings if you're only getting 20 hours of idle battery life. My phone will typically last 24 hours with medium to heavy usage. Days if I rarely use it. I have the stock battery and run backside cm7.

Upvote 0
This ROM is great however with all the Bloatware the bat life sucks balls LOL. I am using Reborn ROM with the Bumblebee Kernel and my bat life is 1% drain every 3 hours "just power on, no talk". I have tried this ROM and my bat is about 5% drain per 1 hour. Also everything works on Reborn including the new market unlike a lot of the other froyo Roms. Don't get me wrong, this is a beautifull ROM it is just a bat pig!!! I would be happy with 1% per hour but 5% per hour just does not cut it when when your phone is doing nothing more then just being powered on. Anyway, please remove the Bloatware and fix the power button so it does not kill a call when you press it to kill the screen to save bat power. I know you can remap the keys and I have but it would be nice if you didn't have to, I tried all the options to fix this but it is for sure a bug and a key remap is the only fix... :cool:

There is not any useless boat ware in this rom everything it comes with is there to make your phone better and none of it keeps running in the background and all the Google apps you choose what you want so if you're choosing to much junk that's on you. Battery life is great and comparing the two rom is rediculous seeing as they are two operating systems as Jerry said.

Reactions: robali911
Upvote 0
Reborn ROM is a hacked down version of the stock Froyo VirginMobile OS. It was designed for maximum battery life, among other things.

CyanogenMod is a hacked up version of Gingerbread. It is not designed for maximum battery life, but instead for maximum options. There is a bloatware removal file available on the wiki, and you can follow the barebones cyanogenmod link I posted in the OP if you would like to trim it down even more. ;)

If you don't want/need the extras that CM offers, feel free to stick with Reborn, it's a fine ROM itself! If you think you can squeeze more battery life out of CM7, submit your changes via gerrit. ;)

Nice, thank you JerryScript for getting back to me so fast :) BTW, your ROM was the first ROM I flashed "I loved it then and I love it now". I am so glad to see you are always working and making your ROM even better. I have noticed a lot of the other ROM makers seem to just stop working on their ROMs, I am so glad you are sticking with it "Good Job". I will be switching back to your ROM later today and look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
Thanks again and keep up the great work...:)

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
I have a total of 3 batteries for my phone, maybe a month or 2 ago, I would utilize all three in a 24+ hr period, with extremely heavy usage, towards the end of October, I only had to use 2 of my batteries for the same usage, and time frame, but up till recently, I last a full day, same usage and everything, on just one battery, and it lasts nearly 30 hours or so. So if that's not a lot of improvement for an UPGRADE to stock, then idk what is.. you shouldn't have to DOWNGRADE your phone to make it better.. that's just wrong.I guess what I'm tryin to say is, I'm a BACKside user till BACKside dies.... and I highly doubt that I will find any better rom, unless its also made by jerryscript.

Upvote 0
Jerry is working on ics ;)
We all are working on it:
IMG_20111125_110336.jpg

more pic's here: ics pictures by BobZhome - Photobucket

Not much works, yet!

Upvote 0
My battery does not seem to last too long. I can get maybe 20-24 hours out of it but the display is on maybe 3 or 4 hrs total. On 3g though my battery gets slaughtered. I drove somewhere with the 3g on and my battery fell from 100-88 in about 20 minutes.

Ah, there it is. I don't use bluetooth, and only use gps on rare occasion. Above and beyond that, I never turn any of the radios in phone off. I suppose I'm too lazy. :D Not a huge deal, though. I'm never more than twenty feet from an electrical source. What can I say? I'm old school nerd!

Upvote 0
Wow! Mine must have some real issues. I've had to charge it twice a day since I bought it in February. I average about 10% an hour, regardlessof which ROM I'm on. Hmmm, I might have look into that.

My battery does not seem to last too long. I can get maybe 20-24 hours out of it but the display is on maybe 3 or 4 hrs total. On 3g though my battery gets slaughtered. I drove somewhere with the 3g on and my battery fell from 100-88 in about 20 minutes.

Hey, so I used to run about a 10% drain per day, but after doing a battery calibration, I have much more reasonable drain (1-2%/hour but that's if I don't touch my phone which is pretty rare).

As far as the whole thing about 3g battery problems, for me, it seems to be that whenever I have bad reception my battery takes a nosedive. Once it gets to the point that it's switching between 3g and 1x or going between 1 bar and none then there's a huge difference battery drain. I think the best option is either to turn on wifi (seems to help at least) or just turn off all radios and go into airplane mode altogether. Take a look at Battery Use in Settings-> About Phone -> Battery Use. If the biggest drops in charge level comes when your signal is bright yellow or red, then the problem is poor reception. Otherwise, I don't really know although I do see random little drops on that graphs that I can't figure out.

Anyways, I hope all of that helps.

Upvote 0
Bob is leading the way for ICS on the OV. I hope to help out, but I work holidays, so I haven't had much time to dig into things this week ;)

Your still very helpful though Jerry lol. I had my CM port on my wildfire working, but nothing worked, it only booted lol. Then power outage. had to reinstall ubuntu, and am currently re-repoing CM. When i get this ported over im going to come to the OV again and try to help with ICS, then Move ICS to the WFS.:cool: Also i looket on github at CM's Ics sources. There getting ready to have an open beta. all they have is touchscreen issues to correct before they do so

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
Any progress on fixing the gps when using any nav apps

I'm looking into using a different gps module, but I'm stuck on the shim, so no true progress to report yet. I've been busy this weekend with work and holiday guests, and what little time I did have I spent working on ICS. ;)

Reactions: benslgdroid
Upvote 0
Hi there.
Got it all installed and working and have a few quick questions.
Sorry if some of these have been taken care of already but im a noob.

1. I watch alot of netflix on wireless. With the latest of backdoor the audio and video are off in netflix. Is there a fix to this?

2. The AWD launcher is great and all but I have had my problems with it in the past and since I flashed have lost the bottom launch bar at least 4 times randomly. I have tried to find what I can do to make it do it to try to solve the problem myself. If I uninstall it will it just leave me the default gingerbread launcher?

3. I Backed up my orignial vm OS while flashing. If for any reason I decide i want to go back I should be able to flash back and unroot correct? Say if they come out with the gingerbread update and I want to try it out?

4. The voice button on the side of the phone seems non opt now that I flashed is there somthing i might be able to do to get it back?

It is a awsome OS as a noob I have fuigured out how to set my phone back to where I was with the stock rom. I had 20mb left on stock always switching out apps and now I have 130mb free to play with. I accidently purchased SetCPU then found out 10 mins later it was in the os. O well.

Any help with this would be great Thank you

O and P.S. When i plug it back into my computer i cannot get it to reconise the phone anymore is there a diffrent driver i need to install?

Upvote 0
Hi there.
Got it all installed and working and have a few quick questions.
Sorry if some of these have been taken care of already but im a noob.

1. I watch alot of netflix on wireless. With the latest of backdoor the audio and video are off in netflix. Is there a fix to this?

Not certain, I'll let someone else help with this...

2. The AWD launcher is great and all but I have had my problems with it in the past and since I flashed have lost the bottom launch bar at least 4 times randomly. I have tried to find what I can do to make it do it to try to solve the problem myself. If I uninstall it will it just leave me the default gingerbread launcher?

I've noticed that too. Try this menu-add-launcher actions-open/close dock bar. This will give you a handy method of restoring it. Also Go Launcher works quite well too.

3. I Backed up my orignial vm OS while flashing. If for any reason I decide i want to go back I should be able to flash back and unroot correct? Say if they come out with the gingerbread update and I want to try it out?

Yes, you can flash back. Also, you can flash the almost stock rom for the same results.

4. The voice button on the side of the phone seems non opt now that I flashed is there somthing i might be able to do to get it back?

Most people don't use this, so Jerry unmapped it (listed in op) but you can use Button Remapper to restore it.

It is a awsome OS as a noob I have fuigured out how to set my phone back to where I was with the stock rom. I had 20mb left on stock always switching out apps and now I have 130mb free to play with. I accidently purchased SetCPU then found out 10 mins later it was in the os. O well.

Any help with this would be great Thank you
Happy to help, and welcome aboard!

Nope, same driver. You need to toggle USB debugging.

Upvote 0
I did not disable the Voice Search button, we cannot find the hooks due to LGE never releasing their full source, so we are left with just the option of remapping the button to other use. I personally use the long press on the search button to activate Voice Search, which gives you the same functionality as the original Voice Search button. ;)

The hidden dock bar in ADW launcher can be configured to show in many different ways. I use gestures. I keep my status bar and the extra dock bar hidden, then enable swipe down gestures to hide/show the status bar, and swipe up gestures to hide/show the hidden dock bar. ;)

For Netflix, do a google search on "netflix xda", try the various apks available, I believe they have at least one version that works well. If you need to bypass the upgrade requirements, quick timing on the back button after pressing OK works for me. ;)

@13oilerup: I just tested MMS and SMS, and they both worked fine. Be sure you have an active 3G connection when attempting to send MMS. ;)

Upvote 0
Actually that longpress to bring up the voice feature does not work the way the original button did. The one you use searches online. The voice button on the side of the phone is supposed to use the Google Voice features (dialing numbers and opening menus and applications). Using the one that's on the search button, if I said "open sms" then it will search in the browser for those words instead of opening the sms application.

I too had issues with ADW and the dockbar. Normally I use LauncherPro Plus, I was searching the options in ADW to check on that transparent statusbar option Sadie was talking about (I changed nothing in the options), and when I came back out of the options the entire dockbar was just gone. I went back in to the settings and reset ADW back to default (was already on default as I normally never touch ADW) and it brought the dockbar back. Then it disappeared again right when I was looking at it. I didn't even touch my screen or any of the buttons lol. Definite bug me thinks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones