• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM/.zip compatible with CWM3 work with CWM2 as well?

Tried it out.. running clockworkmod recovery 2.5.0.5 and installed Super-Z_Enhanced_V5.0_Final which is suppose to be updated for CWM3 and up and it installed just fine. so I hope this helps others, and hopefully I'm not misguiding anymore.. so if anyone has more knowledge on the subject that would be great.

Upvote 0
I saw that, I think that's because if u have CWM3 you can't use files for CWM2 but you can vice versa.

CWM2 will attempt to install CWM3 ROM's because it does not know it is a later script since some commands look the same. However, you can have some real funny results because it could execute new commands wrong.

CWM3 will not even attempt to install a CWM2 script and tell you so.

Upvote 0
What the Hell's the deal with all this anyway? I'm surprised Unrevoked would release a build that causes such a PIA for so many users. Anybody know the inside scoop as to the rationale?

Not really complaining...Unrevoked has done a HUGE amount of work for our community and for that I'm greatful, just can't help but wonder WTF.

Upvote 0
What the Hell's the deal with all this anyway? I'm surprised Unrevoked would release a build that causes such a PIA for so many users. Anybody know the inside scoop as to the rationale?

Not really complaining...Unrevoked has done a HUGE amount of work for our community and for that I'm greatful, just can't help but wonder WTF.
Android has dropped support for update-script (Amend) and is moving forward with updater-script & bin (Edify) scripting.

Because of that ClockWorkMod recovery (Koush) has dropped support for Amend in v3+ and is encouraging the ROM builders to upgrade to Edify but all ROM dev's has not caught up yet.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explination, Nills. My question to you or anyone else who knows, is there a way to update to CWM 3 and still be able to use my backups that were made using 2.5.0.5? I'm assuming I won't, but how would I make the 2.5 backups work on 3? I've been debating on upgrading for a while now and I've always decided against it. Should I even both upgrading? Or just wait till it's an absolute necessity? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones