• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROMs and Kernels Download Page

do you like aosp or sense?

• aosp

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • sense

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • both

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters

stevcha

Android Expert
Nov 6, 2009
ocnbrze said:
i just want to first say thanx to stevcha for creating a place for us to have easy access to all these great things for our beloved evo 4g. so please if you can show your appreciation and give thanx to stevcha. he deserves it though others have now taken over the thread. once again stevcha, THANX

Wanted to put together a thread for information and download links for the widely used ROMs and Kernels. If you have any links for various downloads you would like to share just post them and I'll add to the OP.

Useful Tools:

Scripts and Tools

[SCRIPT/TWEAKS] Smurfed Out V 6.5 (ultimate build.prop/init.d tweaks) Updated 4-12
[SCRIPT/TWEAKS] Smurfed Out V 6.5 (ultimate build.prop/init.d tweaks) Updated 4-12 - xda-developers

Direct Download:
http://classictomatoe.net/android/smurfland/DOWNLOAD/Smurfed_Out.sh

[scripts] Unvisible TweaksF
(This script includes the following: sd card speed booster increases the read/write speed of the sd card to 4096kbps, juwes ram script increases your ram by killing unused background processes and such, and sick tweeks just increases general speed of general android processes).

Direct Download:
unvisible.org - The unvisible army

Mirror Link:
http://www.grayn0de.com/files/unvisibletweaks.zip

Calkulin's Format All: Flash prior to flashing ROM. It will wipe everything for you including /system, which normal data wipes skip (they only wipe /data and /cache)

Direct Download:
Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip

Calkulin's Clear Temp: Clears temp files from cache, data & SD card partitions (Good to do before backup)

Direct Download:
Calkulin's_ClearTemp.zip

VR Superwipe:This will run Calkulin's ClearTemp and Calkulin's Format All three times
Superwipe Download

SetCPU:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mhuang.overclocking&feature=top-paid

Recoveries:

Amon Ra 2.3 and other older recoveries
Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

Amon Ra Style Recovery (Restores both Amon RA and CW backups!!!)
Amon Ra Style Recovery for Supersonic - xda-developers

Direct Download (Make sure you choose the file named "recovery-ra-supersonic"):
Free File Sharing Made Simple - MediaFire

[RECOVERY][EVO4G][NOBRICKS] TWRP 2.2.1 with on-screen keyboard! [2012-07-28]
[RECOVERY][EVO4G][NOBRICKS] TWRP 2.2.1 with on-screen keyboard! [2012-07-28] - xda-developers

[RECOVERY][MOD][1-June-2012] RA-supersonic-v4.3-smelkusMOD
[RECOVERY][MOD][1-June-2012] RA-supersonic-v4.3-smelkusMOD - xda-developers

Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions:

[ Radios ][ 9-5 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions

CM-EVO_Radio-2.15.00.12.19_PRI-2.33_WiMax_NV.zip

ROMS:

If you guys appreciate the work of the developers please make a donation to show your appreciation. They give a lot of their own time to develop and support these ROMs and Kernels for the community. Thanks!!!

Staff Picks
these are roms that are stable, with everything working and they just rock. you can't go wrong with these roms. the list will be a mix of sense and aosp. I highly recommend that you check them out. the list is just a list and the order means nothing.

Upvote 0
The problem with all (or most) of the flashable stock kernels you'll find is that they are provided as a boot.img. Pretty much every custom ROM out there has a modified boot.img. Unless the ROM is stock or meant to be stock with very, very few changes, you should not flash a kernel packaged this way, or you will undo some changes. For example, if a custom ROM supports a2sd, even if it comes with the stock kernel, there are modifications done to the boot.img to support a2sd. If you flash a custom kernel, then flash a stock kernel that is just packaged in a boot.img, you'll break a2sd. That being said, if you happen to find any stock kernels out there, I highly recommend you not suggest people flash them unless they are on a completely stock ROM. I do remember myn providing a flashable version of HTC #17 in modular format (what you want; not packaged in a boot.img), but I can't seem to find it now. Anyway, you can tell pretty easily if a flashable zip is just a boot.img or not. Just open it. If there is just a zip file at the top level, and in that zip is a boot.img file, then it's going to flash a whole boot.img. If you open the flashable zip, and it has just a directory named kernel or something like that, and in that directory are other files, but no boot.img to be found, you should be fine.

All that being said, what users need to do is just flash their current ROM without wiping data to get the stock kernel (or whatever came with the ROM) back. That will undo all other mods, but it's the easiest way. Another option would be to take the boot.img out of the flashable zip of your current ROM, package it in a flashable zip, then just flash it. That would certainly do the trick, but it would be really impractical to make flashable zips for all ROMs and versions.

In any case, it's not impossible to make a flashable zip that has just the stock kernel, but someone with more knowledge than me would have to make it, and I haven't seen any others out there beyond HTC #17. Those that know how to do it always just suggest to reflash your current ROM, anyway.

Upvote 0
can i add a vote to add kings ultra froyo unleashed to the mix? i have tried a few other roms of late and i keep coming back to this one. it is a great rom.

and by the way i'm glad you added caulkin's format all zip. i just started using to wipe everything and have no issues and super easy to do.

Added Kings

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones