• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROMs Froyo] Upgrade your Xperia X8 to Froyo 2.2

gabeyong

Android Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2011
Hi,

There quite a number of Froyo Custom ROMs that are quite good. racht's Floyo ROM or Doixanh's FroyoBread Custom ROM.

Floyo-1.0
FroyoBread

This is a guide to upgrade their Xperia X8 to Froyo 2.2 and probably the last one I will update.

DISCLAIMER / WARNING: Please use the info below at your own risk with no warranty of any kind. This 2.2.9 ROM install is UNOFFICIAL and is a breach of your Xperia X8 android phone warranty.

Prelude:
The most stable and complete ROM you can find for the Xperia X8 is the Floyo-1.0 ROM by racht OR Doixanh's FroyoBread ROM @ XDA-developers. Everything works. It is certainty the most efficient of the Android 2.2.9 ROMs I have used on my Xperia X8 on a daily basis. You can ditch your stock Android Eclair 2.1.1 and upgrade to Floyo 2.2.9 without reservation.

================================================

QUOTE:

from racht's post @ XDA-Developers
Updated 5-July-2011:

Floyo (2.2.5) v1.0 HACKDROID

Download : Floyo 1.0 <-- here
Bugs: None?
Notes: shares code with FroyoBread-18; undervolt,pinch-to-zoom,theme chooser,DSP,FM,edgeglow etc.
Themes included : Buuf,NTSense,Xperia,GingerSystem,RetroDroid
Update: all the google-apps are back (including maps).

from Doixanh's FroyoBread post @ XDA-Developers
Final Version 27 July - v023b:

Download : FloyoBread <-- here

Install instructions:
1. Download
2. Copy to sdcard
3. Reboot to xRecovery
4. Install custom zip
5. Reboot

UNQUOTE:

=================================================

Prerequisites:
1) Make sure you have Rooted and xRecovery installed on your Xperia X8.
2) Make sure you have new baseband xxxxxxx15 - check <settings><About phone>

If your baseband ends with 006 and you install this custom ROM your phone will hang/boot loop at Hackdroid Logo

If you have not Rooted and installed xRecovery hit the link below:
Root, Install and Use xRecovery on your Xperia X8 <-- here

METHOD:

A) BACKUP STOCK ANDROID ECLAIR 2.1.1

Step 1: Make a backup copy of your Android Eclair 2.1.1 using xRecovery
- check that your phone's SD Card has at least 650MB of free space
[SD card free space is to hold both your phone original backup ROM and the Froyo ROM of your choice]
- shutdown your X8 and wait 5 seconds -> <reboot> your phone.
- when you see the words [Sony Ericsson] on the phone screen -> start pressing the back button on your phone multiple times and you will enter the xRecovery Menu.
- select <backup and restore><backup> from the menu

NOTE:
- This will create a backup file of your stock android 2.1.1 in your SD Card <SD/xRecovery/backup>
- After you have completed the backup using xRecovery, it will return to the menu screen.
- Now select <reboot> - your X8 phone will <restart>

B) DOWNLOADING 2.2.9 Floyo ROM

Step 2: Go to the XDA Website and hit the download for the <floyo-1.0>
- unzip the <floyo-1.0.rar> file you have downloaded to your desktop
- what you need is 4 files (cache.img, data.img, nandroid.md5 and system.img)
- put them into the floyo-1.0 folder.
- <mount> your Xpedia X8
- copy the <floyo-1.0> folder into /SD/xRecovery/backup
- <unmount> and shutdown your Xpedia X8

C) RESTORING THE 2.2.9 floyo-1.0 ROM

Step 3: Installing the 2.2.9 floyo-1.0 ROM on your Xpedia X8
- <boot> Xpedia X8
- when you see the words [Sony Ericsson] on the phone screen -> start pressing the back button on your phone multiple times and you will enter the xRecovery Menu.
- scroll down and hit <backup/restore><restore>
- you should see two [folders] (your original 2.1 backup ROM & floyo-1.0 ROM)
- choose <floyo-1.0><restore>
- xRecovery will start to install the 2.2.9 Floyo-1.0 ROM on your phone.
- when it is done, xRecovey will go back to the startup menu
- <click><reboot>

And that's it... Enjoy your Xperia X8 running Android Floyo 2.2.9

For Xperia X8 first time users of Froyo ROM who want to read the User Guide [hit the link]
It is generic but it provides the basic information when using Android Froyo.

Note when reading the User Guide: For Xperia X8 there are only 3 command buttons on the front
(i) the right button = back (ii) the middle button = home (iii) the left button = menu

Basic Navigation using Buttons:
1) home or power button = wake from sleep mode
2) power button = enable sleep mode
3) menu button in app = access app menu functions
4) back button (navigation) = backup a level
5) back button (in app) = exit app
6) back button (typing) = close keyboard

The Official Android Froyo User Guide <-- here

Going back to Eclair 2.1.1?
I don't think you will... but just in case you want to

D) RESTORING THE Stock Android Eclair 2.1.1 ROM

Step 4: Reinstalling your original Eclair 2.1.1 ROM
- <shutdown> wait 5 seconds <reboot> Xpedia X8
- scroll down and hit <backup/restore><restore>
- you should see two <folders>
- choose <2011-09-xx.xx.xx.xx><restore> [xx=2 digit number]
- xRecovery will start to install the stock 2.1.1 ROM [the ROM you've backed up in Step 1] from your phone's SD Card.
- when it is done xRecovey will go back to the startup menu
- <click><reboot>

And you are back to stock Eclair 2.1.1

UPGRADES:

DO NOT update to the new "BusyBox" from the Android Market after you have setup your Xperia X8 with the 2.2.9 Floyo-1.0 ROM or you will BRICK your Xperia X8 phone.

If you have bricked your Xperia phone... follow this guide to recover to stock Eclair 2.1.1.A.0.6

[GUIDE] How to rescue our bricked phone by Graveir @ XDA-Developers <-- here

App Updates:
To install app updates you need to install a file manager --> Astro File Manager or File Manager (its free from Android market)

Note:
Optional = install to update apps... does not affect stability of the 2.2.9 ROM
Recommended = recommended install/update for stability of the 2.2.9 ROM

Android Market v3.1.3 <-- here [Recommended]
Instructions: Download and install/upgrade using File Manager

System v1.0.9 <-- here [Recommended]

LauncherPro v0.8.4.1 <-- here [Recommended]

Quadrant Advanced v1.1.6 <-- here [Optional]

Root Explorer v2.16 <--- here [Recommended]

Troubleshooting Tips:

2.2.9 ROM setup:
(i) unrar/unzip errors (check error unzip logs causing corrupted files usually 3% error depending on which application you use) causes MD5 Mismatch.
(ii) copying files to SD card with USB Debugging on also might cause errors (switch off <USB Debugging> when copying to SD Card)

SD card format:
NOT <FAT> and NOT <FAT16> SHOULD BE <SD single partition/no name partition - FAT32>

SD card settings for APPS2SD+LINK2SD:
go to <settings><CyanogenMod settings><Application> select <Allow application moving>
go to <settings><CyanogenMod settings><Application><Install location><automatic>
Note: Some apps do not support APPS2SD

Hard Reset / Soft Reset

Functions:
Hard Reset
<xRecovery><Factory reset (full wipe)> will clean /data and /cache = clean install of ROM on android phone

Soft Reset
<Settings><Privacy><Factory data reset> will clean/wipe all user data off your android phone = restore to factory settings

Usage:
switching ROMs => hard reset+re-flash
switching user => soft reset

- if you are changing ROMs = hard reset and then restore the custom ROM

- if you only have one SD card --> need to wipe your SD card... /sdcard/Android/data folder & /sdcard/.android_secure folder should be empty... because your old google account data is stored in these 2 folders

Cheers :)

hi gabeyong..

sign in error for my floyo..

unable to sign into google accounts.. what to do.. tried to factory reset, but dint work..

which factory reset?
hard reset = <xRecovery><factory reset (full wipe)>
or
soft reset = <settings><privacy><factory data reset)

Functions:
<xRecovery><Factory reset (full wipe)> will clean /data and /cache = clean install of android phone
<Settings><Privacy><Factory data reset> will clean/wipe all user data off your android phone = restore to factory settings

Usage:
switching ROMs => hard reset

- if you are changing ROMs = hard reset
- if you only have one SD card --> need to wipe your SD card... /sdcard/Android/data folder should be empty... because your old google account data is stored in the sdcard/Android/data folder

cheers :)

Reactions: gombalmukiyo
Upvote 0
heloo... i need ur opinion witch rom is better.. 2.3.3 CM X8 J005 HACKDROID or this Floyo 2.2..

i tired to install all my game n app after install new rom...TT

Hi,

there is not much of a difference between the two ROMs in terms of usage.
speed is almost the same.
both ROMs are stable.

2.3.3 is not complete... some apps are broken.
2.2.1 is the most complete - only video (recording) and ANT+ broken

Upvote 0
hi gabeyong thanks to your guide but after i update to Floyo 2.2.1 i cant install new application every time i install a new apps my phone reboot and sometimes when i normaly use my phone it reboot again

WHY?

Hi,

Troubleshooting Tips

2.2.1 ROM setup:
(i) unrar/unzip errors (check error unzip logs causing corrupted files usually 3% error depending on which application you use)
(ii) copying files to SD card with USB Debugging on also might cause errors (switch off <USB Debugging> when copying to SD Card)

SD card format:
NOT <FAT> or <FAT16> SHOULD BE <SD single partition/no name partition - FAT32>

SD card settings for APPS2SD+LINK2SD:
go to <settings><CyanogenMod settings><Application> select <Allow application moving>
go to <settings><CyanogenMod settings><Application><Install location><automatic>

2.2.1 Floyo-0.15 known issue:
Using Root Explorer app to install applications will cause Xperia X8 to crash/reboot.

Solutions:
1) Use WinRar to unzip floyo-0.15.rar & look out for unpacking errors
2) SD card should be formated 1 partition - FAT32 - no name (<unmount><re-formated> by Xperia X8 under <settings> for stock android folders created in SD card i.e. <Android><.android_secure><DCIM><LOST.DIR> folders must be present in SD card - create sd/xRecovery/backup folders
3) Switch off <USB Debugging> when copying files to SD Card
4) Re-flash Floyo-0.15 ROM and update.zip
5) setup SD card settings under <CyanogenMod settings> to <enable> Apps2SD+Link2SD compatibility
6) DO not use Root Explorer unless it is absolutely necessary and expect crash/reboot if you do
7) Apps compatibility... remember you are using 2.2.1 any app that requires 2.3 cannot be used.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS: NUKE and Re-Flash

Hard Reset / Soft Reset

Functions:
<xRecovery><Factory reset (full wipe)> will clean /data and /cache = clean install of ROM on android phone

Usage:
switching ROMs => hard reset

- if you are changing ROMs = hard reset
- if you only have one SD card --> need to wipe your SD card... /sdcard/Android/data folder & /sdcard/.android_secure folder should be empty... because your old google account data is stored in these 2 folders

Upvote 0
hi
gabeyong.. thanks..

actually when i signed into my gmail thru my pc, it detected some suspicious activity,, changed d password.. it worked with that password...:)

anyhow thanks..:)

ya n in this floyo... unable to search available networks.. der is some error,..when i click network operators in settings it says error while searching networks... :thinking:

also suggest me a good videoplayer,, tried all arcmedia, vplayer, n others.. however floyo rockplayer force closes all d times..
need ur valuable advice...:)

Upvote 0
Hello there!
I'm a new user, I got my first Android phone yesterday. Thanks to this post I managed to root, install xRecovery and later install the 2.2.1 ROM.
I'm having problem with App2sd, I've downloaded it from the market and tried to moved several apps but it's not working, it always fails.
Also I had problems installing a few apps from the market such as Angry Birds Seasons and Mapdroyd.. it fails while trying to install. Both this apps, I tried them when I just got the phone with 2.1.1 and worked perfect. Other apps than were working ok back then with 2.1.1, are still working with no problems.

I formatted my sd several times to FAT32, with no name. Also I did a clean wipe from Xrecovery menu.. I tried different SDs, 2gb and 4gb.

Does anyone has any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
hi
gabeyong.. thanks..

actually when i signed into my gmail thru my pc, it detected some suspicious activity,, changed d password.. it worked with that password...:)

anyhow thanks..:)

ya n in this floyo... unable to search available networks.. der is some error,..when i click network operators in settings it says error while searching networks... :thinking:

also suggest me a good videoplayer,, tried all arcmedia, vplayer, n others.. however floyo rockplayer force closes all d times..
need ur valuable advice...:)

Hi,

I have not encountered network problems with this Floyo-0.15 build. So I do not know what happened. strange... <factory reset> with xRecovery?

I use VPlayer v1.0.2 for my video player because it will play any video media without conversion.

Upvote 0
Hello there!
I'm a new user, I got my first Android phone yesterday. Thanks to this post I managed to root, install xRecovery and later install the 2.2.1 ROM.
I'm having problem with App2sd, I've downloaded it from the market and tried to moved several apps but it's not working, it always fails.
Also I had problems installing a few apps from the market such as Angry Birds Seasons and Mapdroyd.. it fails while trying to install. Both this apps, I tried them when I just got the phone with 2.1.1 and worked perfect. Other apps than were working ok back then with 2.1.1, are still working with no problems.

I formatted my sd several times to FAT32, with no name. Also I did a clean wipe from Xrecovery menu.. I tried different SDs, 2gb and 4gb.

Does anyone has any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!

APP2SD App Problem:

You don't have to use this app. APP2SD is built-in to the Floyo-0.15 ROM.

To use the APP2SD function...

Now you can move apps you have installed previously to your SD card.
go to <Settings><Manage applications><select app><Move to SD Card>

Note: there will be system apps that require installation in phone's memory (i.e. cannot be move to SD Card or app crash/reboot after you have move it to SD card). Some apps cannot be moved because it does not support APP2SD function. Check the developer's apps details for more information (usually says app supports APP2SD). This is a app programming inherent issue.

Android Market Problem:
Yes, I have encountered that problem before.
I downloaded the latest Android Market App and updated it.
Shutdown/Reboot my phone and everything works.

Android Market 2.3.4 <-- here

You might want to update some of the older apps as well.

Upvote 0
APP2SD App Problem:

You don't have to use this app. APP2SD is built-in to the Floyo-0.15 ROM.

Now you can move apps you have installed previously to your SD card.
go to <Settings><Manage applications><select app><Move to SD Card>

Note: there will be system apps that require installation in phone's memory (i.e. cannot be move to SD Card or app crash/reboot after you have move it to SD card). Some apps cannot be moved because it does not support APP2SD function. Check the developer's apps details for more information (usually says app supports APP2SD). This is a app programming inherent issue.

Android Market Problem:
Yes, I have encountered that problem before.
I downloaded the latest Android Market App and updated it.
Shutdown/Reboot my phone and everything works.

Android Market 2.3.4 <-- here

You might want to update some of the older apps as well.

Thanks gabeyong!!
I've tried moving the apps with the <CyanogenMod settings> but it's not working either. Also I tried to update the Market with that file, but after trying to install it AppInstaller or Astro it gives the error: Application not installed.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Thanks gabeyong!!
I've tried moving the apps with the <CyanogenMod settings> but it's not working either. Also I tried to update the Market with that file, but after trying to install it AppInstaller or Astro it gives the error: Application not installed.

Any ideas?

Hi

If your Android Market is working do not update... it will update by itself.
Only if your Android Market is not working and you have rebooted your phone at least 5 times... you can use Root Explorer (installed by the ROM) to install Android Market 2.3.4

Have you tried..
go to <settings><CyanogenMod settings><Application><Install location><external>

then try to move an app... like an app you have installed from Android Market?

I know ALL the Apps that have been installed by the ROM CANNOT be moved to SD card. e.g. GMail, Facebook, LauncherPro, Maps, Quadrant Advanced, Root Explorer, System Panel...

p/s

If all else fails NUKE
<xRecovery> Full Wipe
<SD Card> Repartition FAT32 > No Name > Format SD Card with Xperia X8

and RE-FLASH... re-boot [skip setup wizard]
go to <Settings><Privacy><Factory data reset>

Upvote 0
Hi

If your Android Market is working do not update... it will update by itself.
Only if your Android Market is not working and you have rebooted your phone at least 5 times... you can use Root Explorer (installed by the ROM) to install.

Have you tried..
go to <settings><CyanogenMod settings><Application><Install location><external>

then try to move an app... like an app you have installed from Android Market?

I know ALL the Apps that have been installed by the ROM CANNOT be moved to SD card. e.g. GMail, Facebook, LauncherPro, Maps, Quadrant Avdanced, Root Explorer, System Panel...

Thanks, so I won't update the Market, It works with almost all apps, just 2 are failing (that I know of..)

Activating <settings><CyanogenMod settings><Application><Install location><external> doesn't work either. I tried to move some apps like ebuddy, foursquare, abduction and none moves, it always fails.

Should I load the ROM again? and another factory wipe from xRecovery? Could that resolve the app2sd thing?

Upvote 0
Thanks, so I won't update the Market, It works with almost all apps, just 2 are failing (that I know of..)

Activating <settings><CyanogenMod settings><Application><Install location><external> doesn't work either. I tried to move some apps like ebuddy, foursquare, abduction and none moves, it always fails.

Should I load the ROM again? and another factory wipe from xRecovery? Could that resolve the app2sd thing?

Hi,

ok... those apps should move to sd card. I have tried them on my phone.

try... nuke and re-flash option

xRecovery <Full Wipe> + xRecovery <Partition Tools> Format SD Card
<backup/restore><restore><floyo-0.15> + <install update.zip from SD Card><update.zip>

<skip setup wizard>

go to <settings><privacy><factory reset>

<login google account>

update <Root Explorer 2.14.2> <-- stable - can be use to manually install Apps

then try to download apps from Android Market and move to SD Card

Upvote 0
Hi,

ok... those apps should move to sd card. I have tried them on my phone.

try... nuke and re-flash option

xRecovery <Full Wipe> + xRecovery <Partition Tools> Format SD Card
<backup/restore><restore><floyo-0.15> + <install update.zip from SD Card><update.zip>

<skip setup wizard>

go to <settings><privacy><factory reset>

<login google account>

update <Root Explorer 2.14.2> <-- stable - can be use to manually install Apps

then try to download apps from Android Market and move to SD Card

Did all that.. no luck, it keeps having the same problems :(

Upvote 0
@ luchiolb maybe you should try this! back to start, Re-flash Floyo-0.15 ROM and update.zip but before you Re-flash Floyo-0.15

do this

2) SD card should be formated 1 partition - FAT32 - no name (note: i use MiniTool Partition Wizard Professional Edition for this)(<unmount><re-formated> by Xperia X8 under <settings> for stock android folders created in SD card i.e. <Android><.android_secure><DCIM><LOST.DIR> folders must be present in SD card - create sd/xRecovery/backup folders
3) Switch off <USB Debugging> when copying files to SD Card
4) Re-flash Floyo-0.15 ROM and update.zip
5) setup SD card settings under <CyanogenMod settings> to <enable> Apps2SD+Link2SD compatibility

and this

this what i did and it works i can now install apps and move my new installed to SD card

Upvote 0
Just by logic and elimination process...

If all the steps are done correctly &
Apps are installed in your phone memory but cannot be moved to SD Card.

I think your phone is on baseband 006 or you might have a faulty SD card.

You got that one right!! my baseband is 006, I just checked that.
So what's up with that? I never read about the baseband before? What baseband I'm supposed to have? How do I change it? :thinking:

P.S: It's not de SD I tried different ones..

Thanks!

Upvote 0
You got that one right!! my baseband is 006, I just checked that.
So what's up with that? I never read about the baseband before? What baseband I'm supposed to have? How do I change it? :thinking:

P.S: It's not de SD I tried different ones..

Thanks!

Hi,

I have assumed wrongly that you have met the prerequisites to upgrade your Xperia X8.
Your phone has not met the prerequisites to use this 2.2.1 Floyo ROM.

My post above states...

Prerequisites:
1) Make sure you have Rooted and xRecovery installed on your Xperia X8.
2) Make sure you have new baseband xxxxxxx15 - check <settings><About phone>

App2sd+Link2sd will not work on basband 006.

go to racht's XDA Post (linked above) and download tool to flash your phone's baseband if you want to use the Floyo-0.15 ROM.

Read carefully (at least 5 times) and make sure you have the correct firmware (check 10 times) before you flash your phone.

Reactions: luchiolb
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot! sorry for all the trouble before.

So I just downloaded the tool to flash the baseband and this baseband:
"Baseband 15 - kernel 2.1.1.A.0.6" from the post.

I'm currently on 2.2.1, so to flash the baseband I need to have 2.1.1.A.0.6??

If that's the case, I should downgrade to 2.1.1 before, then flash the baseband and then go back to 2.2.1? right?

I've found on that post too this: "X8i_2.1.1.A.0.6_1241-4091-Customized_RU_World"

So I'll probably use it.

Thanks man! you're helping a lot!

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot! sorry for all the trouble before.

So I just downloaded the tool to flash the baseband and this baseband:
"Baseband 15 - kernel 2.1.1.A.0.6" from the post.

I'm currently on 2.2.1, so to flash the baseband I need to have 2.1.1.A.0.6??

If that's the case, I should downgrade to 2.1.1 before, then flash the baseband and then go back to 2.2.1? right?

I've found on that post too this: "X8i_2.1.1.A.0.6_1241-4091-Customized_RU_World"

So I'll probably use it.

Thanks man! you're helping a lot!

Hi,

If you have time and willing to start from zero.

Just update your phone using PC Companion to Android Eclair 2.1.1.A.0.6 first. It will also automatically update your baseband 015.

then <Root>
then <install><xRecovery>
then using xRecovery <flash><Floyo-0.15>

Long method... but it is easier to work from stock Android if anything goes wrong.

p/s beware: there are 2 different models of Xperia X8 - E15a and E15i

Reactions: luchiolb
Upvote 0
Hi,

If you have time and willing to start from zero.

Just update your phone using PC Companion to Android Eclair 2.1.1.A.0.6 first. It will also automatically update your baseband 015.

then <Root>
then <install><xRecovery>
then using xRecovery <flash><Floyo-0.15>

Long method... but it is easier to work from stock Android if anything goes wrong.

p/s beware: there are 2 different models of Xperia X8 - E15a and E15i

Ok, I just did a repair from PC Companion an installed from scratch. By the way, I have a E15i.

The thing is that it just installed 2.1.1 firmware with 006 baseband. The build number is 2.0.1.A.0.47. I didn't installed the 15 baseband.

Should I root, flash baseband with that tool, installed xRecovery and then install 2.2.1?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones