1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

roms & kernals we can try to port from replennish

Last Updated:

1. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

i assure you none of those would turn out well...
    b_randon14 likes this.
  2. slutyman

slutyman Well-Known Member

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

You can't really "port" a kernal.
  4. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

kernel

sorry, its a mild misspelling but its everywhere and i try to educate people on it so that they can spread it on kinda like pay it forward :D
  5. slutyman

slutyman Well-Known Member

so what would happen if i flash one of these roms?
  6. Rxpert83

Don't flash things that aren't for your device
  7. b_randon14

b_randon14 Well-Known Member Developer

Yeah once you start looking at the code behind the roms and kernels( I learned alot messing with cm7 for the triumph) you realize how much work goes into getting things to work with certain hardware. And there is alot going on in a rom so getting everything to work right from a rom made for a different phone with different hardware would be somewhat of a miricle.

Even if a phone uses the same qualcom SoC (system on a chip) three is a chance it has different cameras or touchscreens or Bluetooth radios. So porting roms from different devices is very improbable. The best thing to do is find out what all features are added to the custom rom and try to port as many over to a custom rom built off of a stock rom for this phone.
  8. Rxpert83

People port ROMs from other devices all the time. Its very common.

On my evo 4g we had ROMs ported from many other HTC devices

You just shouldn't flash ROMs designed for other phones
  9. b_randon14

b_randon14 Well-Known Member Developer

Yes it is common however HTC phones are very similiar as they all run htcs sense interface and alot of them have very similiar hardware.

As for this phone, it is an acatel running a close to aosp butchered by alcatel version of gingerbread. The replinush is a Samsung phone so chances we porting a rom would be quite difficult to do.
    Rxpert83 likes this.