• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Roms pros & cons

Pros and Cons.... hmm... Well here goes my ... erm... 2cents? It might not be Pros and Cons really, but atleast you get the jist, sorta... lol

DamageControl::
- My opinion, could be one of the best ROMs out, but heading in the ways of AOSP-like, theres lots of bug fixes (as well as other ROMs below, which are heading in the same direction, same bugs, etc...) EIther way, great ROM, fast, great battery life. Has ability to enable JIT. Also comes in 2 versions, odexed and deodexed versions. I personally had a few problems backing up my apps using Titanium Backup, but im sure it will get fixed in later versions.

EVOlution::
- Basically, this ROM runs "Froyo-life" due to the launcher and OverClock capabilities. You can flash a custom kernel to boost the performance. Bad thing is the cameras break when you OC. Otherwise, good, and fast. Cant say much for battery life, IMO.

BuglessBeast::
- The ROM im personally using at me moment. And to be honest, i LOVE it. SUPER fast loading time (after restarts and shut offs etc...) LOVE the new boot screen, and the CPU-hogless-custom-Nexus-like-Live Wall paper is awesome! I use ADW Launcher on top of it, but I love it. The lockscreen is great. Battery life is VERY usable. Snappy, and cant wait for the updates. (Oh and, loving the AOSP elements that were implemented. ^_^ )

EVO-NonSense::
- Kinda weird, actually. I Flashed this one to try it out, and I didnt get far. I got myself stuck on the "Setup Screen" so I reflashed bugless Beast ON TOP of this one, and it works great. Not quite sure if my phone would run any different, but combining both seemed to work just fine. ~.~

Fresh Evo::
- Another champ here. fast, snappy, loving the Fresh SenseUI. (Yes Im a fan of BOTH SenseUI and Vanilla Android) Very smooth, and good battery life. Had a few glitch restarts, but im sure those will be ironed out. All in all, Fresh is always a great route to go for stability and responsiveness.

Calkulin's ROM::
- Havent tried this one yet, but doesnt seem like TOO much has been added to it yet. Im sure people will look forward to this one as well.

Aloysius::
- Again, not 100% sure about this one, but I believe this one, like Bugless Beast, can run on top of other ROMs, but this one gives your ROM a make over, changing ICONS and Status Bar, etc... very nice tho, I must say.

BakedSnack::
- Tried this one for a few hours. I noticed my battery was draining quite quickly, and I had random reboots everyonce and a while. Again, could possibly just be a bad flash, but remember, these are my opinions. :) Looking forward to future updates on this one!

OMJ's HTC Evo ROM::
- Havent tried this one, but apparently VERY popular. You should try it yourself, if you havent already. ^_^

Im sure I missed one or 2, or more... lol but those are the main ones, I believe that are out so far.

Upvote 0
Pros and Cons.... hmm... Well here goes my ... erm... 2cents? It might not be Pros and Cons really, but atleast you get the jist, sorta... lol

Im sure I missed one or 2, or more... lol but those are the main ones, I believe that are out so far.

Excellent well put response. One thing that I been looking at trying to select a ROM is a list of the items they remoed (sprint stuff, etc) and not all have such a list. This is important to me because I want to know what am I losing.

I personally only need sprints NAV, TV and most definetly love the voicemail (which rom keeps this feature), other than that the rest can go, I don't use friendstream, but do like the pinch to see all home screens, I definelty have to have the speech to text this is a must have, and the speech search function....do you happen to know which of these roms still keeps these features?

Thanks for your response.

Upvote 0
DamageControl::
- My opinion, could be one of the best ROMs out, but heading in the ways of AOSP-like, theres lots of bug fixes (as well as other ROMs below, which are heading in the same direction, same bugs, etc...) EIther way, great ROM, fast, great battery life. Has ability to enable JIT. Also comes in 2 versions, odexed and deodexed versions. I personally had a few problems backing up my apps using Titanium Backup, but im sure it will get fixed in later versions.

I still haven't figured out what is JIT or hat its for, can you give explain a bit?

Also what is odexed and deodexed, and how do I know which one I should use?[/QUOTE]

BuglessBeast::
- The ROM im personally using at me moment. And to be honest, i LOVE it. SUPER fast loading time (after restarts and shut offs etc...) LOVE the new boot screen, and the CPU-hogless-custom-Nexus-like-Live Wall paper is awesome! I use ADW Launcher on top of it, but I love it. The lockscreen is great. Battery life is VERY usable. Snappy, and cant wait for the updates. (Oh and, loving the AOSP elements that were implemented. ^_^ )

Why did you personally choose this one over Damage or Fresh?

Aloysius::
- Again, not 100% sure about this one, but I believe this one, like Bugless Beast, can run on top of other ROMs, but this one gives your ROM a make over, changing ICONS and Status Bar, etc... very nice tho, I must say.

With regard to installing a rom over another, so far I have ROM Manager installed, yesterday was my 1st experience working on the phone when I rooted with the awesome tutorial thats posted, and I recall he says that steps 30-34 would be how one would install roms...so my question here is:
1) If I use rom manager, is this "self installing" or just adding the zip to my SD card Root for me to then follow steps 30-34?

2) say right now I was running fresh, but decide I want to try bugless, are you suppose to do a wipe, and a Dalvic wipe before installing another rom? And what type of backup am I doing?

Just wonderinng since you mention how you may still keep the benefit of a previous rom even when installing over it.

Upvote 0
I personally use BuglessBeast and so far no problems and even helped me with the battery issue.

TS

I should've waited, I went ahead and installed bugless, and I don't like it, its definetly not bugless, its bugfull: in settings everytime I would click certain things to change I would get an error or force close, when i took a picture and clicked the small thumnail on the corner, error.

And as much as I hate all the sprint junk, it was missing Sprint Nav, thats a must have, and Sprint voicemail, and Sprint TV....not sure why they would remove Sprint Nav and leave Google Nav.

But, unless I can find out in the next few minutes if those items are available, then I'm deleting it.....didnt see this as an improvement at all.

Upvote 0
My answers in BOLD::

I still haven't figured out what is JIT or hat its for, can you give explain a bit? Basically, in a nut shell, its a specific file compiler... makes things run faster. ^_^ kinda like... hmm. cache.

Also what is odexed and deodexed, and how do I know which one I should use? If I remember from another post... odexed is apps with attached file settings, and deodexed well... without. (Correct me if im wrong ^_^)

Why did you personally choose this one over Damage or Fresh?
To be honest, I thought I was going to stick with Fresh, due to the great amount of stability. But once I got Bugless 0.4 running pretty well. (with only one FC randomly happening, but not affecting me at all) I switched until further ROM updates. Other than that, theres really no specific reason I chose it, but I do have NAND backups of Fresh and Damage. (incase I want to switch / upgrade that specific ROM :D)

1) If I use rom manager, is this "self installing" or just adding the zip to my SD card Root for me to then follow steps 30-34? What ROM Manager does, if you download a ROM from the RM, it was save to a folder on your sdcard called "clockworkmod" then follow into download>>whatever file dev etc... (you'll find it xD ) But what it automatically does, is assume you want to flash it RIGHT after its done downloading. You dont have to, but it gives you the choice to nand backup before you flash it or not. *Not sure if that answered your question, but let me know if I didnt.*

2) say right now I was running fresh, but decide I want to try bugless, are you suppose to do a wipe, and a Dalvic wipe before installing another rom? And what type of backup am I doing? Usually the Dev will say something like "OMG REQUIRES WIPE BEFORE FLASH WARNING WARNING" LOL ok so I exaggerated a little bit... xD but no really, the Dev usually says something like "Will require wipe and cache wipe etc.." ALWAYS boot into recovery mode, and make a Nandroid Backup. Its the best way and safest to know you can always revert back to what you had last. (also do it before wiping.)

Just wonderinng since you mention how you may still keep the benefit of a previous rom even when installing over it.
Usually its probably not a good idea to install OVER another ROM, but I did it just for the heck of it really. Doing that usually causes lots of FCs and such. So usually only if your told its possible or not, dont do it, unless you want to see what happens. :p But I wouldnt suggest it.

Upvote 0
NovaFox238, thanks for the answers, I did install bugless through RM, the latest bugless, and seemed to be bugfull as it kept FC on several of the phone settings options, after taking pictures, etc., plus 3 of the Sprint apps I needed were gone, so I installed DC (awesome), when I got the pop up from RM if I wanted to backup current ROM I didnt check it as I didnt want to store unecessary files from bugless on my phone, and also my phone doesnt have really anything to backup yet.

DC is what I was looking for, I like that it kept Sense, and has another launcher, plus I added Launcher Pro, this way I can switch it up once in a while and not get bored.

Thanks for al your help.

Upvote 0
I can't comment on any of the other ROMs, but I'm very happy with Fresh 0.3. My battery life has improved by about 50%, especially when the screen is off. I like the fact that 90% of the Sprint/HTC bloatware is removed, and most of the remaining 10% is stuff I would have chosen to keep anyway. I haven't used Apps2sd yet. I've yet to encounter any bugs/crashing whatsoever.

Looking forward to 0.4, whenever that lands.

Upvote 0
just curious, have you tried google nav? makes sprint nav look like the crap it is. i was always a proponent of sprint nav too until i actually tried google nav. google nav can give you ground level lane guidance, sat view, street view of destination and ability to littereally look around at any point. so say you are going to a friends house you have never been to, you can go to the destination in google nav, switch to street view and look if there are places to park on the street or a lot for instance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones