• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root roms/root ally/axis

lol, your phone is a knock off of LG Ally, refer to there for rooting techniques.

Axis may be a "knock off" of the Ally, but the techniques for the Ally DO NOT work correctly for the Axis. I learned this the hard way. Attempted Trident's method to update to 2.2 and then to Velocity. BAD IDEA!!!! This not only bricked my phone, but it SUPERBRICKED my phone. The update worked to about 70% and then................

Nothing. Phone won't even turn on now. Tried several methods to get it to turn on, but the file system is officially FRIED. So, don't just assume that because one phone is a "knock off" of another that the same programs will work for both.

As far as rooting, I rooted the Axis VERY easily with Z4Root. Absolutely no problems, very easy, quick way to root and unroot. I also used the LONG method to root and it worked fine as well.

DON'T TRY TO USE THE ALLY METHOD OF UPDATING TO 2.2 ON AN AXIS!!!! YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE IF YOU KEEP TRYING.

Upvote 0
Ive scoured the ineternet. There are absolutely NO working Roms for the the Axis. You can root your phone... but i dont see the point.

Working on these as we speak (and have been for a few weeks):

Froyo (2.2.1)
Velocity 1.0
Frunisher 1.0

and some other customs.....

As I have posted before, the Ally and Axis are not the exact same thing. It's a tedious process getting things for the Ally to work on the Axis, but I'm slowly getting there.

***If anyone has an Ally (VS740) that they wouldn't mind copying all the system files from and emailing them to me, it would help A LOT!!***

PM me or email at mjp2365@gmail.com

Semper Fi

Upvote 0
.......You can root your phone... but i dont see the point.

There are many other things you can do after rooting the phone........ modify file system, delete system junk apps, change notification sounds, run apps requiring su permissions, etc. Flashing custom ROMs is not the only reason we root phones. In order to modify anything with your phone that you can't do without rooting, you must root.

Semper Fi

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I really need a ROM for my LG Axis. I have found a lot of stuff for the Ally, but nothing for the axis. I am looking for the sbf file, a recovery that works, some rom's. I really like the cyanogen roms. Also, would love to have froyo, gingerbread or honeycomb. Please let me know if anyone can find anything. I can't find anything for this phone, because it is the apex/ally, but not the ally/apex. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I really need a ROM for my LG Axis. I have found a lot of stuff for the Ally, but nothing for the axis. I am looking for the sbf file, a recovery that works, some rom's. I really like the cyanogen roms. Also, would love to have froyo, gingerbread or honeycomb. Please let me know if anyone can find anything. I can't find anything for this phone, because it is the apex/ally, but not the ally/apex. Thanks.

Woohoo!! Look what i found today!
http://inlandcellular.com/Content/Axis-Upgrade-Install-Guide.pdf

I am still at work but mean to try it out as SOON as I get home! I can't wait!

Upvote 0
So now that 2.2 is out for the axis, is it safe to use same rooting methods used for 2.1 on this phone?

Never mind, my Axis easily rooted after the update to 2.2 via SuperOneClick. It wasn't as easy as when I used z4root when it was on 2.1, however i already had the usb driver for my Axis so the root process was probably easier for me than most who will attempt this way. :p

I never realized how much i missed having it rooted. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones