• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs & Rooting: Magic vs myTouch vs myTouch 1.2 vs ION

kwanbis

Lurker
May 11, 2010
I'm looking for a myTouch phone.

The Magic is the better of the 3, because of the more memory, and because it uses the same 3G that is used on my country. But there are not that many of them.

Second best are the myTouch 3G v1.2, because of the more memory, and there are a lot of NEW myTouch 3G v1.2s.

So basically, this is the information I have:

HTC Magic Rogers ---- PVT 32A - 288MB RAM - SW Root - Many ROMs --- USB Jack --- 3G AT&T, Bell, & Telus ---- Other Models???
myTouch 3G ORIGINAL - PVT 32B - 192MB RAM - SW Root - Many ROMs --- USB Jack --- 3G T-Mobile/WIND Canada --- Google ION and Vodafone Magic
myTouch 3G v1.2 NEW - PVT 32A - 288MB RAM - SW Root - FEW ROMs ---- 3.5mm Jack - 3G T-Mobile/WIND Canada --- FENDER and LE

Assuming my table is correct, my questions are:

1) are ALL myTouch/Magics somehow "soft" rootable, meaning NO jtag, at least with a Gold Card?
2) are the MAIN/MAJOR ROMs ported/developed to the myTouch 3G v1.2? (I do not want to buy a myTouch 3G v1.2, and then all the main ROMs not be available, cause devs are not interested)
3) are the MAIN/MAJOR ROMs on the myTouch 3G v1.2 as stable as they are on the others?
4) I do not have a data plan, so, starting from a NEW, unrooted, virging myTouch 3G v1.2, can i go root with any software method?

The last question is related to my experience with the G1, where when I got it, it asked me to connect with my GMAIL account, but since i have no data plan, i couldn't connect. Luckily there is a way using ADB to bring up the wireless config screen, and then connect to gmail. But i understand that since there is NO keyboard on the myTouchs/Magics, there is no way to do that. So, unless the stock ROM has a "skip registration" button, like most of the new/hacked ROMs, i do not see if that is possible.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones