• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROMs Thread

confed

Android Expert
Apr 9, 2011
Philly
I believe this All Things Root forum should be a lot more active than it is. This phone will not void your warranty when you root or unlock the bootloader. That, along with OnePlus reaching out to many development teams has allowed us to have a bevy of available ROMs. As more of these units are being delivered, I wanted to allow you to see some options in one place before choosing one.

This is not a complete list but it should give you a good amount of choice.

Please click the SHOW button to see a short description or introduction for each ROM.

ROM][4.4.4][OFFICIAL & NIGHTLIES][OnePlus One] MoKee OpenSource Project - ROM][4.4.4][OFFICIAL & NIGHTLIES][OnePlus On

Color OS is turning out to be quite nice too. I LOVE the camera! Easy install too. Few bugs to work around, but I have high standards for usability and I can deal. Reminds me a lot of MIUI. But that camera....
:congrats::rock::thrasher::flowers:

OnePlus One Color OS ROM [Update Links] -- Currently 2.0.11 Beta

I may try that out.
I was running a rooted/stock COLOR OS 1.2.0 (ANDROID 4.2.2) on my N1 & COLOR OS 1.2.6 (ANDROID 4.3) on my FIND7.

Which recovery are you using for this?

Upvote 0
I may try that out.
I was running a rooted/stock COLOR OS 1.2.0 (ANDROID 4.2.2) on my N1 & COLOR OS 1.2.6 (ANDROID 4.3) on my FIND7.

Which recovery are you using for this?

Just TWRP. I followed the instructions to a "t" in the op, and only had the problem of paid apps not showing up paid in the play store. Thankfully I had titanium backups of all of them.
Still on it now, and don't have any reason to move away from it really. 4.4 would be nice, but the camera on this is too good to give up for that.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I've glanced over the thread & saw some posts regarding partitions/etc...

Did you have to modify anything like that,or,just flash like most AOSP ROMS ?

Since I'm using TWRP, I modified the script as instructed in the first post and flashed it like any other ROM. I still have a 64gb phone, TWRP, and NAND backups work.

Very simple. Just follow the instructions carefully :D

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Sounds good,running TWRP here as well.

I saw the script mod,not too much,or,anything like a one-way street,in case you want to revert back to the stock ROM.

As long as it's ANDROID 4.3 or above (which it is),I'm good,so that I can use a BLINKFEED MOD & my SAMSUNG GEAR 2 watch,both of which require 4.3 & above.

Upvote 0
Cool, let us know what you think!

While I actually like COLOR O/S,I guess I'm stuck in my ways,partial to CYANOGEN.

I was able to flash the ROM & GAPPS simultaneously (without any script mods),but,had to skip over a persistent error pop-up (via notification pull-down bar) to sign-in to GOOGLE.

Afterwards,there was a COLOR O/S update immediately available,but,wasn't able to flash it unless I unrooted.

I'm sure it would have been relatively painless to do so & re-root,but,I'd run COLOR O/S on my other phones before,so,there (probably) wasn't much new,if anything to see here,so,I just flashed back to stock/rooted CM11S.

Upvote 0
It's nice to have the option to backup & take a look around w/so many options.
Might give MADHI ROM a look in a day or so......

I was thinking about that one. The saber modded ones are getting good feedback so I am torn between one of them and Mahdi

Just loaded up MAHDI ROM after trying out the COLOR O/S ROM:

[ROM] [4.4.4] [BACON] Mahdi-Rom 2.7 [08/23] | OnePlus One | XDA Forums

Quite a contrast in U/I's,liking it quite a bit so far.
Best I can describe is a cross of CYANOGEN and PARANOID ANDROID.

One kinda cool feature in the ROM update settings:
There's a link to a SLIM GAPPS provided,should you wanna go that route.
I already have a super slimmed-down GAPPS link/zip that I use,but,having the link to a GAPPS in the settings is still a nice touch.

Very smooth/responsive,gonna run this for a few days....................

Reactions: confed
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I had been holding off on trying MULTI ROM/Recovery until after I seen/heard more details on what it actually is.

[MOD] MultiROM v28d | OnePlus One | XDA Forums

[MOD] MultiROM v28d - Post #855 - XDA Forums

While I have a healthy appreciation & respect for all ANDROID development,I'm not seeing any advantages from this vs having a typical TWRP/CWM Recovery & switching out ROMS/back-ups on the fly.
I do it all the time w/stock TWRP.

Am I missing something here?

Reactions: confed
Upvote 0
I wonder why M10 is still not out for bacon.

In any case, went WAY outside the box and installed my first non-stock ROM on my 1+1... running CM11 nightlies :D.

:ditto:

I started out the same way,made a back-up of CM11S & put it on the back burner until M10 arrives.Having the Torch spontaneously launching while in-pocket spurred me to this decision.

Not having any issues w/CM11 nightlies at all,AFAICT.
Currently rotating between this,MAHDI & CARBON,the latter of which I just loaded up last night.
Lookin' real good so far,very smooth,a lot of performance tweak options,some of which I don't exactly have a clue,may start another thread on the subject.

Upvote 0
Currently on the latest Mahdi w/Franco r21. Phone is running nice and smooth. So far I've tried Liquid, PA, Slim, cm nightlies, and crdroid. Keep coming back to Mahdi though...😎

Does Mahdi have the ability to change the DPI? I have always loved Slim because, to me, you get the most out of the screen real estate and it has always been very stable for me. Battery life is great as well. I want to test out a new ROM within the next week or so. Mahdi might be it.

Nice to see you using the franco kernel as well, it's great and pretty damn universal. This phone has a ton of solid development. If I get bored this weekend, I'll clean up the top post. Good to see people finally getting use of the thread.

Upvote 0
This phone has a ton of solid development. If I get bored this weekend, I'll clean up the top post. Good to see people finally getting use of the thread.

I'm currently up to three phones,about one too many.

Was thinking about selling the 1+1 again until a few days ago,when it hit me that this phone has just about as much development behind it as a NEXUS.

Even though my OPPO FIND 7 may technically be just slightly better hardware-wise,it doesn't come close to matching the 1+1 on the development side.

If nothing else,this is a good phone to see some features via ROMS that you may never see otherwise.

Other than the NOTE EDGE,I don't see anything noteworthy :tomato: hardware-wise to "move-up" to in the immediate future.

With that phone being in limited availability & likely ridiculous pricing,I think I'll be taking a pass on the EDGE & holding on to the 1+1 for the foreseeable future (Q3 2014-Q2 2015).

Upvote 0
Anyone running the CM11 ROM Nightlies (not the stock ROM that shipped w/the phone) will want to skip the 093014 update & continue running whatever nightly you're running ATM:

Today's update is broke & has persistent system errors/etc....
Also doing the same on other phones I have running CM11 Nightlies.

I'm sure it's prolly nothing more than a fat-finger/typo error in the programming/etc....

I'll update as soon as the nightlies are back on-track. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones