• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root after i updated eris to 2.1

surf4u2

Jan 10, 2010
I know that there are threads on this however i am looking for an official and "safe" answer to the question can i, and if so how do i root my 2.1droid eris. Im just an average joe when it comes to this kind of thing, so sorry if this has already been asked. Im primarily looking to overclock my eris to make it faster. Thanks

i rooted my 2.1 Eris yesterday with that method, and it's really easy.
although, i didn't follow the steps from that topic exactly. i used steps
1 thru 3 in it, but then i went over to the dummies tutorial and picked
up at the "Finishing up" step. the reason i did this is because the one
click method doesn't mention backing up, which is something you always
want to do before flashing/installing a new ROM. also, step 5 on it is
unnecessary, as when you root, it's like reinstalling an OS, so the app
isn't there anymore.

Reactions: surf4u2
Upvote 0
how do i put a custom rom there?

You'll need to download a rom from the xda forums (there's a bunch to choose from depending on what you want). Mount the phone to your PC and transfer the zip file to the "root" (top level not in a folder) of your sd card. Once there, the phone will see the zip file and let you choose it to flash.

Upvote 0
Your not sol, but it is nice to have nand immediately after rooting and before installing a custom rom, so you can easily go back to stock (with root).

And if you forgot to backup before trying a custom ROM? how does one get back to the official 2.1 sense w/ Root?

I have tried all the custom ROMS out there and I must say, they all leave a lot to be desired.

I would love to just go back to 2.1 Sense / eris and delete all the stuff I don't want.

I realize the developers put a lot of time into their ROMS, though they are, for all Intents and purposes basically Identical to each other IMO. They all "Fix" one feature only to "break" another. Endlessly.

Why somebody would include Amazon MP3 on a custom ROM is beyond my grasp. The Same Goes for Twitter, Facebook and all the other Children Apps.

Is there a Totally Stripped ROM, where everything works just like stock?

I Like 2.2 but cant live with all the things that run in the background, sucking down my already horrible "ACTUAL USE TIME" battery life. Googles decision, in 2.2 to Not allow apps to be killed IMO is worst feature.
You are stuck in a Lose / Lose situation. Let them run and they will kill your battery and lag the phone down to a crawl or you can Constantly go into the App & Running services menus and Force Close them yourself. But in doing so, will Kill Your battery just as fast.

Upvote 0
And if you forgot to backup before trying a custom ROM? how does one get back to the official 2.1 sense w/ Root?

I have tried all the custom ROMS out there and I must say, they all leave a lot to be desired.

I would love to just go back to 2.1 Sense / eris and delete all the stuff I don't want.

I realize the developers put a lot of time into their ROMS, though they are, for all Intents and purposes basically Identical to each other IMO. They all "Fix" one feature only to "break" another. Endlessly.

Why somebody would include Amazon MP3 on a custom ROM is beyond my grasp. The Same Goes for Twitter, Facebook and all the other Children Apps.

I Like 2.2 but cant live with all the things that run in the background, sucking down my already horrible "ACTUAL USE TIME" battery life. Googles decision, in 2.2 to Not allow apps to be killed IMO is worst feature.
You are stuck in a Lose / Lose situation. Let them run and they will kill your battery and lag the phone down to a crawl or you can Constantly go into the App & Running services menus and Force Close them yourself. But in doing so, will Kill Your battery just as fast.

heaha,

You are correct that most ROMs have made some compromises that farther they "stray" from base/stock. That being said, many have reported that PlainJaneT2 and xtrSense are very close to stock (especially PlainJaneT2) and would give you the stock experience with root sprinkled in. We used to recommend Ivan's Eris Official 1.0, but it doesn't have the July 2010 OTA updates in it.

If you truly want to return to stock, take a peek at erisuser1's new threads (both here on AF and over at XDA):

AF: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...2010-flashback15-v1-return-factory-stock.html

XDA (which the AF link will point you to): [ROM][9/25/2010]FlashBack15 v1 -Return to Factory Stock - xda-developers

Cheers!

Upvote 0

There is no question that I get much better battery life, all other things being equal (i.e., running the same background apps, using the phone the same amount of time actively), with Froyo ROMs that with 2.1 custom ROMs and stock (for sure better than stock!) For me, Froyo ROMs > 2.1 custom ROMs > stock Eris 2.1, if battery life is the measure.

Anyway, I am the first to say that everybody should run the ROM that they love, and Froyo on the Eris is not for everybody, just for completeness I will say that there is an app in the market called Autokiller that allows you to set specific memory threshold parameters used by Android to close apps in the background. In other words, you are not running a manual task manager, you are not running an automatic task killer - you just change the parameters that Android uses natively to manage free memory. By setting higher thresholds (presets come with the app called "Strict" and "Aggressive"), you can make Android keep very few apps active in the background.

[EDIT] Oh, and as far as I can tell, Nonsensikal Froyo Vanilla comes pretty stripped when it comes to the fluff that you do not like. No Twitter, no Amazon MP3, no Facebook. I think the only additions I see are Launcher Pro, Spare Parts, and Wired Tether.

Upvote 0

xtrSense is 100% stable, has 100% working stock functionality, and all of the added features are very stable.

The whole idea is stable, every-day reliable performance improvements.

It's what xtrSense is all about.

EXCELLENT and comprehensive use instructions and write-up by the ROM's author too.

I put EVERY technical AND non-technical friend of mine (including my girlfriend whose I put on Cricket), on xtrSense that has an Eris.

0 complaints from anyone.

Fastest, cleanest, best working, 100% stock functionality, and all the reliably added extras possible.

You won't be disappointed. I wouldn't waste my time writing this up ranting and raving about it if I weren't personally guaranteeing it. Get 4.2 (or 4.6 once he releases it), not 4.5.

[ROM][9/21/2010][GPL] xtrSENSE4.2 & 4.5[cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit,flash10]-HTC Sense - xda-developers

P.S.

Don't mess with Autokiller too much unless you read a whole lot about what you're doing. You can make your phone act pretty funny (including make your alarm clock not go off in the morning, which I did), by changing the memory settings for Android.

Upvote 0
I tried AutoKiller, using all it's presets on several versions of KaosFroyo and found, IMO, that it did absolutely Nothing as far as Battery life improvement. In fact I would argue that it, being just Another Running Program actually decreased Battery life.

This Task killer disguised as a memory manager is a lame attempt at a work around to 2.2's No Task killer Policy, Though in time maybe it or something similar to it will solve the No Task Killer Policy.
Whats funny, to me and anyone else with a memory. Is how many of the "Don't use a Task killer Crowd" are the one praising this app. But that is a whole other argument.

Not to turn this into a Task killer thread but, Obviously, I am of the crowd that believes this phone absolutely requires a task killer. And that all the Good intended, Google "B/S" of how the O.S. will automatically manage memory is just a Crock!
When my phone grinds to a halt or close to it, because an endless list of previously used and more importantly - NOT USED apps Won't close and or keep auto starting on their own. That tells me, the phone is basically out of Memory.

That this design fault is so easily proven and then remedied by simply killing the apps the OS can't or Won't. And in doing so, Instantly bringing the phone back to life. Leaves me wondering why Google won't admit defeat on their System Managed approach to memory management. But Anyway...

Back to my Original Question, Is there no way to reinstall 2.1? I read the Links, but I am uncertain if they are installing a factory version or some Dev. Modified OS? With all the bugs associated with them.

When I rooted, I was on 2.1 leak 3. This along with Launcher pro and Root Explorer to delete a lot of the Crap and Children's apps Footprints Amazon mp3, Facebook and twitter I found the phone ran much better Then before root.

I tried xtrasense but I didn't wipe before switching from kaosfroyo, so it just kept crashing on me. Which caused me to go back, again, to KaosFroyo.

P.S. I finally did a Nand backup but it is with KaosFroyo 35.1 , Which I will live with, under protest ( Battery life / no Task Killer) if I cant get back to Stock, Rooted 2.1

Thanks for all the replys

Upvote 0
Back to my Original Question, Is there no way to reinstall 2.1? I read the Links, but I am uncertain if they are installing a factory version or some Dev. Modified OS? With all the bugs associated with them.

...snip...

Which I will live with, under protest ( Battery life / no Task Killer) if I cant get back to Stock, Rooted 2.1

heaha,

My reply above (http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...t-after-i-updated-eris-2-1-a.html#post1658477) includes links to eu1's very new threads about how to return to stock (non dev-modified):

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...2010-flashback15-v1-return-factory-stock.html

[ROM][9/25/2010]FlashBack15 v1 -Return to Factory Stock - xda-developers

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Yes, I saw those, Thanks.

That method will put me back to 1.5, Correct? Then, if all goes according to the Op I will get an OTA for 2.1

But if I do it and it works, I lose Root, Correct?
Will I then be able to Re-Root? If so, How?

Upvote 0
Yes, I saw those, Thanks.

That method will put me back to 1.5, Correct? Then, if all goes according to the Op I will get an OTA for 2.1

But if I do it and it works, I lose Root, Correct?
Will I then be able to Re-Root? If so, How?

The answer to all of your questions: yes :D.

Here's a couple of quotes from eu1's thread on XDA:

"Used by itself, the ROM initially boots up as a stock 1.5 phone. Because it is a stock phone, it will immediately recognize (if it is in cell range) that it is eligible for an OTA upgrade to 2.1"

"So, this ROM unroots your phone, installs 1.5, patches the misc partition, and replaces the Amon_RA recovery boot with the HTC/VZW Stock 1.5 (1.17.605.1) recovery boot. That makes your phone both a stock phone, and, because of the "misc" patch - also easier to re-root or reflash the phone using any RUU version or the HBOOT+PB00IMG.zip method with any HTC ROM. (This would including installing the S-OFF bootloader, should you want to do that at some later time)."

You would re-root in any manner that you would like (old-school, new-school (i.e.,, the one-click / most recent rooting methods)). You should not be precluded from re-rooting this phone after doing this, in fact, quite the contrary.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones