Root after M100 update?

1. dodgef25

dodgef25 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any luck with rooting or even un-rooting after the latest update?
    I un-rooted right before the M100 update, now I still have superuser installed, but no root. I verified with root checker. Now I'm unable to uninstall super user if that helps with rooting ect.
    I tried to root and un-root with SuperOneClick 2.3.2 and the upated 2.3.3. It freezes. I can provide a screen shot right at the freeze over if that helps.
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
  2. paxchristos

paxchristos Well-Known Member

Nope, no current way to root M100
  3. rjglenn

rjglenn Well-Known Member

Unfortunately until some more "mainstream" devices receive the security patch there wont be a solution. With the push for newer more popular devices to go to ICS, it might be a while.
  4. paxchristos

I'd have to disagree with you on that one. Exploits are very hard to discover, and once they are, it's a race to see how long it's left open. Due to the nature of the Commando, every effort is made to keep it from being rooted, I'm actually surprised it was rootable as long as it was ...
  5. tmcdonal

tmcdonal Member

Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean based on the way it blocks updates after post-root modifications?

-Tom
  6. packm3

packm3 New Member

you make it sound as though there will never be an exploit for M100, if this is true I will be very upset. M100 is more reason than ever to want to root. Is it possible for there to be a completely unrootable phone?
  7. paxchristos

Sure,

The commando is targeting a niche audience, not very many people cross-specialize in outdoors-man-ship/jobs where a rugged smartphone is a plus/necessary and computer technology. As such, Casio (Nec) made the device to be as rugged as possible, while sacrificing the option of customizability (as opposed to either the Google Nexus Line or the GeeksPhone Line) as a way to entice users who just want the smartphone experience without the ability to royally screw up your phone (yes, root with doing different things can screw up your phone, where as a partially unlocked bootloader + screwing up is a guaranteed brick.)

All providers want to block root, because there is the possibility that someone will root their phone, and screw it up, and ask for a warranty replacement, which ends up costing the provider more money.

The zergRush exploit has been plugged since november (source: Issue 21681 - android - CVE-2011-3874 - libsysutils rooting vulnerability ("zergRush") - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting) It took a while for the patch to be made available, but I know that it has been sent out to the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (R800i, firmware .62), the HTC Rezound, (newest update killed it) and of course, the Casio Commando.
  8. rjglenn

rjglenn Well-Known Member

Not sure how you are disagreeing with me...

All the previous root methods were developed for other phones and then found to work on the commando. When enough other more popular phones receive this patch then someone or someones will develop a root method and with any luck it will work with the M100 build. I don't believe that a hacker/developer is going spend any time at all working on an exploit for the commando itself.

I just have to wonder how much more support these Gingerbread based devices are going to get as the more popular and cutting edge devices move on to Ice Cream Sandwich.
  9. Rafael

Rafael Well-Known Member

The commando is targeting a niche audience, not very many people cross-specialize in outdoors-man-ship/jobs where a rugged smartphone is a plus/necessary and computer technology.

Funny. A retired military guy and avid gun enthusiast....who happens to know more than anyone I know about these devices, telling a Farmer and avid rooter that this phone is going to attract more outdoorsmen than geeks or hybrids. :)

Me....I am an 8th grade dropout who loves technology as well as many mouth-breather activities.....just so you know I am niether offended nor judging anyone here. :)
  10. paxchristos

Actually not retired, I just did one enlistment (I'm 24) and and got out, now i'm going to college for Computer Science :p

When you look at it, let's say this device sold 10,000 units and let's say that there are 100 active forum members here. Overall it's a very small group who are actively involved compared to the whole (in short, you guys are the outliers)...

@rjglenn -- The trend is rooting has always been towards unlocking the kernel because once you have that done, you don't have to worry about different exploits. Many devices (mainstream) devices have the patch, it's just that so far, there have been three really big exploits that worked cross-device (gingerbreak, z4root (rageagainstthecage), and zergRush.)
  11. Rafael

Rafael Well-Known Member

I was being generous....I figured you were too young for retirement. :)
    Outlier? Watch who you call a lier! :)

Glad you are around, man!
  12. dodgef25

dodgef25 Well-Known Member

Most people are willing to pay for a custom Rom. Well I will pay for someone to work on the M100 Root.
  13. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

so i'd been lurking in other device forums and the ones that can't be rooted, they just do a temp root, and downgrade to froyo, which is rootable. but this won't work for us. but interesting how others have found workarounds on their devices.

is temp root achievable on our device?
  14. Spike G

Spike G Well-Known Member

link do said forums? i'm interested as well just to explore
  15. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

16. paxchristos

17. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

so is there a way to achieve temp root on our device?
  18. paxchristos

Temp root is an HTC specific issue, due to the security flag they have in nand memory, unless that is turned off, every time reboot occurs the security flag resets whether or not you have root...
  19. Spike G

Spike G Well-Known Member

To whom it may concern; The source code for the m100 update is released on Casio's website. Perhaps this will help with future rooting.
  20. paxchristos

Thanks, but that's not where the exploits (normally) are...

It just means that M100 is running a (hopefully slightly) different kernel than M80/previous 2.3 versions

Edit: Just looked at it... 5mbs different is a whole lotta source code changes... dammit... and something tells me it wasn't due to make the code more efficient...
  21. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Any luck on this?
  22. paxchristos

still no dice...
  23. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got two replacement devices. One off Ebay and one from asurion. Asurion sent me a brand spanking new commando, not CPO, but its M100 updated. I want to keep it, but I think its going to have to go on Ebay. It can fetch me 350 there.
  24. ChadWilliam1

ChadWilliam1 Well-Known Member

Any updates? I really want to root my phone.
  25. paxchristos

See my post from 2 1/2 hours ago....
    (Note: you guys are probably looking at weeks before a new exploit is found, not to be a downer, but that's the truth)

(Also, if anybody links to this thread on XDA I will find you and punch you in the balls ... The exploit is made for linux kernel 2.6.39+ ... that means that the exploit (unless something has changed that I didn't see in M100) WILL NOT WORK.)
    (source: Linux Local Privilege Escalation via SUID /proc/pid/mem Write | Nerdling Sapple )