Root an American HTC Desire?

Last Updated:

1. TheGrayson

TheGrayson New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I'm new here, and I am in urgent need of help.

I have an HTC Desire under U.S. Cellular, obviously American, and I've used up all of the internal memory, and I know that Android 2.2 can install Apps to the SD card, which is a real godsend.

I love HTC Sense UI, and I also want to make sure this won't interfere with the carrier and the phone and all that, you know, so if I can root this thing somehow, and go to 2.2 while maintaining the HTC Sense UI, I'd be very happy.

So the question is, how do I do this??

Thank you all very much for your assistance.

Advertisement
  2. PastorOfMuppetzQ

PastorOfMuppetzQ Member

i have the same problem, i have had to delete apps to get new ones.... best i can figure out from reading the htc desire root section no one has rooted our version yet due to cdma and slcd its different than euro versions.... i've been digging around trying to find out if when we'll get froyo officially and best i have gotten is sept oct maybe.... and we may have to go into the store for the update.... because if you go into about phone the option to look for updates isnt there like it is on vzw's incredible for example....

3. PastorOfMuppetzQ

PastorOfMuppetzQ Member

Also i worry with the smaller user base of us cellular htc desire users there may not even be somoene who roots it and develops for it, i hope thats not the case so anyone out there working on it?

4. TheGrayson

I wish there was a way to install to the SD in 2.1. Also, where did you read that? I've been digging around for the answer to that for a while now and haven't found anything.

Nevertheless, I do hope it is soon. I would really really like to have 2.2 on my phone.

I also don't understand why we may have to go into the store?? I thought Android updates were over the air

5. PastorOfMuppetzQ

PastorOfMuppetzQ Member

thats just something some else told me, but it wouldnt shock me because every other htc phone i've played with for other companies has a check for updates in the about phone section but its not there on this one, i wouldnt put it past us cellular to make us go in so they can make sure to lock us out of everything fun and make sure they load enough bloat ware...

6. TheGrayson

Great... sounds like fun already. Two things l'd like on my phone Skype Mobile, and Android 2.2.

I wouldn't be surprised either, I wish someone would at least make a simple hack to move programs to the SD card.

The lack of "Check for updates" is a very very ominous thing to me, I really hope we get 2.2

7. Stinky Stinky

Stinky Stinky Well-Known Member

Try this to save apps to transflash:

AppSaver Android App Review by AndroidTapp.com | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews

Hmm, if you guys want 2.2 (froyo) then yes you might need root.

Here:

How To: Root the HTC Desire | TheUnlockr

However, i think the 2.2 port is unstable at the moment.... anywayz you can give it a try here:

How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Desire | TheUnlockr

Stinky Stinky

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello, grayson.

I've moved this thread for you to the Desire rooting area where more users with similar issues will view your questions about this.

TheGrayson likes this.
  9. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

Have any of you US Cellular people rooted yet? My i'm looking to find the stock RUU file so I can have a home base to start attempting to root her phone.

Haven't found the RUU yet for US Cellular (just verizon).