Root and beyond

1. msimoens

msimoens Active Member

I'm not taking any responsibilty for bricked phones or data. Follow these steps exactly and be patient. If you don't, it can brick your phone and sometimes there is no way to fix it. If you can't get by the T-Mobile G1 screen try starting using Home and Power button to get into the recovery mode. If you can get there, it's fixable. If nothing will show except the G1 screen, your screwed and there is no fix. Just be patient and follow step by step!

Step 1 - Downloading EVERYTHING!
    Steps 2 thru 27 - Root your device and update to cupcake
    Steps 28 thru 60 - Update to Hero and Rosie
    Step 61 - Able to go to the original Home screen

1: On your computer, download everything:
    -RC29 (USA) or RC7 (UK)
    -recovery.img
    -Hard SPL
    -RC33 (USA) or RC8 (UK) or ADP1 (Dev)
    -Latest Radio
    -Haykuro's Spl
    -Hero Beta v4
    -Official Hero with Rosie UI
    -app_s for Hero
    -Paragon Partition Manager or something to partition your SD card to FAT32 and ext2 like Ubunto or another Linux distro

2: Format your card to the FAT32 format
    3: Copy DREAMING.nbh from the RC29 or RC7 zip file to the root of your SD card.
    4: Turn your phone off.
    5: Hold Camera button and Power button to boot into the boot loader mode. You should see a colored screen turn to gray. If it turns back to the colored, start over.
    6: As the screen instructs, press the Power button to start the process. DO NOT INTERRUPT!!!!!
    7 Once finished, restart your phone.
    8: Delete DREAMING.nbh off your SD card.
    9: Copy recovery.img and the Hard SPL update.zip file to the root of your SD card.
    10: At your home screen, hit the enter key twice, type "telnetd" and press enter. Do not worry about it starting a contact search, it's suppose to look like that. There will be no confirmation that you did this right until Step 12.
    11: Download a Telnet app from the Market and let it download and install fully.
    12: Launch the Telnet app and connect to "localhost". If you did Step 10 correctly, you should see a "#". If not, start back over at beginning at Step 10.
    13: Since you see "#", type this (<enter> means push the Enter button):
    - mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system <enter>
    - cd sdcard <enter>
    - flash_image recovery recovery.img <enter>
    - cat recovery.img > /system/recovery.img <enter>
    - exit <enter>
    14: Turn your phone off.
    15: Hold Home button and Power button until you see the T-Mobile G1 Screen. This will get you into the recovery mode screen. You should see a chip icon with an exclamation point over it.
    16: Press Alt + L to see the menu (if you don't already).
    17: Press Alt + S to apply the update. DO NOT INTERRUPT!!!!!
    18: Once finished, press Home button and Back button to restart your phone.
    19: Delete recovery.img and update.zip file off your SD card.
    20: Copy your RC33 or RC8 or ADP1 zip file to the root of your SD card and rename it to update.zip.
    21: Turn your phone off.
    22: Hold Home button and Power button until you see the T-Mobile G1 Screen. This will get you into the recovery mode screen. You should see a chip icon with an exclamation point over it.
    23: Press Alt + L to see the menu (if you don't already).
    24: Press Alt + W to wipe the user data. No other data will be touched.
    25: Press Alt + S to apply the update.
    26: Once finished, press Home button and Back button to restart your phone. It may take a while so just be patient!
    27: Delete update.zip off your SD card.

You could stop here if you are happy with normal Android build with root access. You can download JF Updater from the Market and it will keep your build up to date. It's free and idiot proof to apply a new update.

28: Copy the latest radio zip file to the root of your SD card and rename it to update.zip.
    29: Turn your phone off.
    30: Hold Home button and Power button until you see the T-Mobile G1 Screen. This will get you into the recovery mode screen. You should see a chip icon with an exclamation point over it.
    31: Press Alt + L to see the menu (if you don't already).
    32: Press Alt + S to apply the update. DO NOT INTERRUPT!!!!!
    33: Once finished, press Home button and Back button to restart your phone. It may take a while so just be patient!
    34: Delete update.zip file off your SD card.
    35: Copy Haykuro's Spl zip file to your SD card and rename it to update.zip.
    36: Turn your phone off.
    37: Hold Home button and Power button until you see the T-Mobile G1 Screen. This will get you into the recovery mode screen. You should see a chip icon with an exclamation point over it.
    38: Press Alt + L to see the menu (if you don't already).
    39: Press Alt + S to apply the update. DO NOT INTERRUPT!!!!!
    40: Once finished, press Home button and Back button to restart your phone. It may take a while so just be patient!
    41: Delete update.zip file off your SD card.
    42: Copy the Hero Beta v4 zip file to your SD card and rename it to update.zip.
    43: Turn your phone off.
    44: Hold Home button and Power button until you see the T-Mobile G1 Screen. This will get you into the recovery mode screen. You should see a chip icon with an exclamation point over it.
    45: Press Alt + L to see the menu (if you don't already).
    46: Press Alt + W to wipe the user data. No other data will be touched.
    47: Press Alt + S to apply the update. DO NOT INTERRUPT!!!!!
    48: Once finished, press Home button and Back button to restart your phone. It may take a while so just be patient!
    49: Delete update.zip file off your SD card.
    50: Now you have to partition your SD card. You can do this by using Paragon Partition Manager (or Ubuntu or other Linux distro) by either using a card reader on your computer or mount your phone and do it this way.
    51: Make 2 partitions, the first FAT32 and the second ext2. Make ext2 about 1GB and the rest on the FAT32. I'm not going step by step because Paragon is super easy to use.
    52: Copy the Official Hero with Rosie UI zip file to the root of your SD card's FAT32 partition and rename it to update.zip.
    53: Unzip app_s zip file to the root of your SD card's FAT32 partition. This should put a folder named app_s there.
    54: Open up the Terminal Emulator on your phone and type this (<enter> means push the Enter button):
    - su <enter>
    - busybox cp -a /sdcard/app_s /system/sd <enter>
    - exit <enter>
    - exit <enter>
    55: Turn your phone off.
    56: Hold Home button and Power button until you see the T-Mobile G1 Screen. This will get you into the recovery mode screen. You should see a chip icon with an exclamation point over it.
    57: Press Alt + L to see the menu (if you don't already).
    58: Press Alt + W to wipe the user data. No other data will be touched.
    59: Press Alt + S to apply the update. DO NOT INTERRUPT!!!!!
    60: Once finished, press Home button and Back button to restart your phone. It may take a while so just be patient!

Now you should have the Hero build with the new Rosie UI. If you get a blank screen or it keeps looping then you need to start over at partitioning your SD card. If you want, since you have the latest Radio and Haykuro's Spl, you can now update your build to many new builds. Just copy it to your SD card as update.zip and Alt + L Alt + W Alt + S and it will update it.

The only bad thing with Rosie UI is that on the G1 it takes a while to render and it renders often. Rosie UI is just a home alternative like aHome and openHome. To go back to the regular Home do this:

61: Open Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Rosie and click on Clear Defaults.

Now when you push the Home button you have 2 options, Home and Rosie. Your choice if you want to set a default. I didn't so now I can show Rosie off real fast and easy.

Advertisement
    :
  2. msimoens

msimoens Active Member

If you ever need help, the XDA Developers forums are a great place. More builds are listed under the "Dream" phone section.
  3. screwthe49ers

screwthe49ers Active Member

Great post, glad to see step-by-step instructions clear and concisely written for new rooters!
  4. msimoens

msimoens Active Member

Yeah, when I first did it this is what I wanted. I bricked my first phone when I tried going for the Hero build. Rooting was a breeze. Not sure if I like Rosie, on the G1 it's really slow and rerenders itself everytime I close an app and it takes like 15 seconds.
  5. Cuore_alfa

Cuore_alfa New Member

I follow this thead and now my G1 do not book afther installed the SPL update, HELP please!!
  6. Cuore_alfa

Cuore_alfa New Member

40: Once finished, press Home button and Back button to restart your phone. It may take a while so just be patient!

And now the T-Mobile G1 screen stay for ever, any tip?
  7. Cuore_alfa

Cuore_alfa New Member

Please DO NOT FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTIONS, your phone will be useless BRICKED and there is no solution for now.
  8. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

after installing the new SPL which you should NEVER do if you have a DVT board in your phone instead of PVT... If you can get your phone to the recovery hold home+power on boot or fastboot hold camera+power then you phone can be saved... you will need a card reader to put a working build back on your phone or fastboot to restore images.... if you can get to the recovery or fastboot and still need help beyond this send me an email and ill walk you through the steps....
  9. Cuore_alfa

Cuore_alfa New Member

I can`t make it to the recovery or fastboot screen. HOME + END or CAMERA + END looks like there is no solution, any input will be welcome.
  10. msimoens

msimoens Active Member

When something was taking a while, I let the phone sit for 10 minutes or so and then proceeded.

But do you have insurance on your phone as you should do? If so, dunk it in water and claim it out. That's what I did.
  11. rubensun

rubensun New Member

hey folks
    wanted to emphasize the importance of updating your radio before installing the new spl.
    at the same time here's a note from a thread in xda-developers:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=522076
    this is to say... if you find yourself stuck at the g1 screen try rebooting (send + menu + end/power) and either accessing your recovery screen (home + end/power), or your bootloader (camera + end/power). If you can access either of these, you're still in good shape.