Root and install Kernel only?

Last Updated:

1. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all, new to the eris forum, but I own a droid and know a lot about rooting, kernals, and themes for it.

My wife has an Eris, and the battery life isn't even 12 hours lately. I'd like to root her Eris and install a kernel to allow it to run slower while in standby. I searched this forum, and didn't see many if any threads dedicated to only kernels. Am I missing something? I saw the guide to rooting, and installing new roms, I want to leave everything in tact, just allow underclocking. Thanks for your time.

Advertisement
  2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

then use plain jane. its exactly the same as the OTA but with a new kernel

Branndon likes this.
  3. Branndon

Thanks for the start! I don't want to install a new rom if I don't have to. I don't want to reconfigure her phone, apps, screens, accounts, etc. I know that's a part of life with rom flashing, and I've done it dozens of times on my Droid, but I want this to be her original OS with just a new kernel. Is it possible on the eris, or do I have to flash a rom to get the kernels?

4. andrizoid

your going to need to flash a rooted rom.
    to use a new kernel it has to be combined with your ramdisk into a boot.img and im not sure if theres a way to get it if you dont flash a custom rom.
    flash plain jane, you will need to rest all your stuff but its EXACTLY the same as the OTA only its rooted and has the OC/UC kernel

5. Branndon

I was reloading the forum page, I didn't think you replied, sorry. Thanks for the awesome detailed reply. I didn't know about plain jane, so that is the one I'll use if I decide to flash the rom. Thanks again for the reply!

6. andrizoid

no probelm. i didnt reply, i just edited the message so thats probably why u didnt notice.