Root and Unlock SIM

1. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Well-Known Member

so this is my first Android phone where unlocking the SIM card is possible. i've been with Verizon and Sprint so long that i never bothered looking up the unlocking abilities/procedures.

the only unlocking experience i've had in the past have been with iPhones, where the jailbreaking software has an option to unlock the SIM card as well.

i didn't know that you have to ride out your 2 year contract before AT&T will unlock your phone. and i've tried searching around here and XDA, but i couldn't get a good answer. i kept finding threads in regard to a Canadian carrier where you dial a number and some ROMS didn't allow the dialing of that number to work (or something like that).

is there a method to unlock the SIM card of the AT&T version without waiting out the 2 year contract?

Advertisement
  2. mrhomiec

UPDATE

so i found out AT&T will give you an unlock code if you just ask. i had confusion because it's only the iPhone that has to carry out your 2-year contract before they can unlock it for you.

i hopped on AT&T Web Chat system, and the agent just gave me the unlock code without any questioning or reasoning.

now all i need is a non-AT&T SIM card to insert into my Galaxy S3 to actually unlock the phone. :)
  3. bxchef29

bxchef29 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they gave me the code to now i'm waiting on my straight talk sim,so i can unlock it. Let me know how yours go and i will do they same Friday. Good lUck
  4. mrhomiec

since i left Verizon, and my last phone was the Galaxy Nexus, inserting that SIM card into my Galaxy S3 was able to finish the unlocking process.

i then tested it out with my friend's t-mobile SIM card, and it was functional.
  5. bxchef29

cool i will see friday i just hope it will work cause i am using the s3 with straight talk. It should work , I think the sim card just has to be inserted just to unlock
  6. bxchef29

Well i didn't have to unlock it everything is working great. Just changed to APN settings. i wonder if it was unlocked already cause i didnt get a screen to unlock. Anyway its up and running like a champ
  7. bgardner15

bgardner15 Well-Known Member

how does one do that?
  8. asheehanjr

asheehanjr Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about getting the GS3 either the AT&T or Unlocked for Straight Talk. I'm using my Galaxy Nexus on ST right now, and just wanted to find out if the AT&T will work no problem, with my Galaxy Nexus sim. You guy's pretty much answered my questions and thoughts. Thanks!
  9. mrhomiec

you should be able to use the same SIM card. unless for some reason the unlocked Galaxy Nexus has a different SIM card size than Verizon.

the only reason i know the SIM card will work is cause i used my Verizon SIM card in my AT&T phone. which i believe was a Nano SIM card? or maybe a regular sized SIM card? whatevers, it can fit anyways.
  10. bxchef29

Well when you order a sim card for str8 talk the activation instructions are on the card as well as the apn settings. However my web wasnt working so i called customer service and they walked me through a couple changes to get it working. ps i suggest ordering the bundle Card+sim
  11. tech9867

tech9867 New Member

um i have a huge question i been wanting to ask for like a month now...ok im on verizon right now and i have a samusng galaxy nexus I515.10 V.FFo2/I515.FG02 and it takes a micro sim card..i was wondering if you can get it unlocked and if so how..if possible..free?? and will a galaxy note unlocked work on verizon?? can someone answer this ASAP PLEASE!
  12. mrhomiec

no, and no.

i was in the same boat. used to have Verizon with a Galaxy Nexus. i tried to unlock it for AT&T usage, or even international usage. not possible.

as for the Galaxy Note, the Galaxy Note 2 is available on Verizon... "coming soon".
    tech9867 likes this.