Root app for mobile hotspot?

Last Updated:

1. BAC5.2

BAC5.2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

One of the main reasons I rooted (which I finally got to work, by the way), was so I could tether my phone to my computer as a WiFi hotspot without additional charges.

What are you guys doing for this?

I'm using BBv.04

Advertisement
    brianlassiter1 likes this.
  2. Jeremy07si

Jeremy07si New Member

Wireless Tether for Root Users on the Market

3. BAC5.2

BAC5.2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

And I won't incur any ridiculous charges, right?

4. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to test it out, but when I start tethering on the latest Froyo leak it says its a mobile hotspot. Anyone know if this actually works?

5. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

wireless tether works just fine. dont do any heavy streaming or become a pRon junkie and you should be fine.

6. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

7. powrful1

powrful1 Well-Known Member

I have thrown on a couple of froyo and none had the wireless hotspot or tether app....and when I tried to run Wifitether for root it fails to have the correct components...any ideas?

8. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

You have to make sure that you have a good kernal that supports wifi for root users. Almost any of them do except the stock one.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. medmajorchris

medmajorchris New Member

Hey guys,

I was just talking to a rep with Verizon about Mobile Hotspot and they informed me that it was like, an additional $20 a month for it, and your max usage was 2GB! So I was like screw that lol. But a friend of mine informed me that if I rooted my phone, I could use the Mobile Hotspot without incurring any charges and wouldn't have any usage limits... Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help!

10. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Verizon's official position is that the Droid 1's Froyo update would not include wireless tethering because of hardware limitations. Strange... I've had wireless tether for at least 4 months now! So far, I have heard of no one getting smacked with charges or "violation of terms" for tethering. But then I use it SO SPARINGLY that they probably wouldn't bother coming after me.

They undoubtedly CAN tell the difference as to which 3G data your phone is using, and which 3G data is tethered to your laptop... so don't use gigs and gigs of it or you'll end up on their radar screen (and likely their crosshairs). I recommend it... but use it with cautious restraint.

11. smacky

smacky Banned

As has been mentioned above, Wireless Tether for Root is the best app for this.

I've been using it for a few months now and all that I've noticed is my usage has gone up. Duh. Use the My Verizon app to see how much data you've used so far. Even with some heavy usage at the airport and on the road, I don't think I've ever topped 2 GB. And that's with all the other stuff my phone uses data for, like all the syncing when I flash a new ROM, streaming baseball games and radio and browsing the web.

I think you'll be fine.

12. Hacky

Hacky New Member

I finally got around to rooting my motorola photon today. I followed the steps in a few of these threads. My problem is that when i first installed Wifi Tether, it was working fine. Then i had Sprint remove my Mobile Hotspot service which i had been using for a while now (they are capping usage). When i tried to use my Wifi Tether again, my comp connects to it as a P2P instead of like a normal SSID and i no longer get network access, even though it's connected. And yes, to answer the obvious, I'm positive that i had been using the Wifi Tether app and not the Mobile hotspot before I canceled the latter's service. Does anyone know what is going on?

Ps i am using superuser if that makes a difference.