• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Confusion - I am so lost

10derfoot

Jun 25, 2010
Ok, here it is:

I used Unrevoked to get root, could not install any ROMs at all till Ava 2.2 was released then was able to install it. Now, my root prompt in adb shell has changed from $ to # which supposedly means I have full root. However, there are still files I cannot delete, rename or remove and can still not install other ROMs.

Can I get full root?
Will I have to revert all the way back to original release to get it?
What on earth have I done?
Is there hope for people in the Sahara desert?
Can I fix it at all or am I stuck with this funky root?

Ok, here it is:

I used Unrevoked to get root, could not install any ROMs at all till Ava 2.2 was released then was able to install it. Now, my root prompt in adb shell has changed from $ to # which supposedly means I have full root. However, there are still files I cannot delete, rename or remove and can still not install other ROMs.

Can I get full root?
Will I have to revert all the way back to original release to get it?
What on earth have I done?
Is there hope for people in the Sahara desert?
Can I fix it at all or am I stuck with this funky root?

You don't have full root. Well, you do, but it depends on if you're being strict with the terminology...

When most people say full root, they really mean a full jailbreak (rooted filesystem, custom recovery, engineering bootloader, permanently unlocked NAND). Unrevoked gives you custom recovery and rooted filesystem, typically known as half root.

Technically you have full root with unrevoked, but you are only half jailbroken. Meaning there's still some stuff you can't do with your phone that fully jailbroken phones can do. So, if you plan to take advantage of root frequently (lots of customization), I recommend you do a full jailbreak. You need to flash a 2.1 ROM and then run Simpleroot. If you can't flash 2.1, then I think you are stuck until a full root (jailbreak) method for 2.2 is released.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones