Root Confusion - I am so lost

Last Updated:

1. 10derfoot

10derfoot Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, here it is:

I used Unrevoked to get root, could not install any ROMs at all till Ava 2.2 was released then was able to install it. Now, my root prompt in adb shell has changed from $ to # which supposedly means I have full root. However, there are still files I cannot delete, rename or remove and can still not install other ROMs.

Can I get full root?
    Will I have to revert all the way back to original release to get it?
    What on earth have I done?
    Is there hope for people in the Sahara desert?
    Can I fix it at all or am I stuck with this funky root?

Advertisement
  2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

You don't have full root. Well, you do, but it depends on if you're being strict with the terminology...

When most people say full root, they really mean a full jailbreak (rooted filesystem, custom recovery, engineering bootloader, permanently unlocked NAND). Unrevoked gives you custom recovery and rooted filesystem, typically known as half root.

Technically you have full root with unrevoked, but you are only half jailbroken. Meaning there's still some stuff you can't do with your phone that fully jailbroken phones can do. So, if you plan to take advantage of root frequently (lots of customization), I recommend you do a full jailbreak. You need to flash a 2.1 ROM and then run Simpleroot. If you can't flash 2.1, then I think you are stuck until a full root (jailbreak) method for 2.2 is released.

3. 355spider

355spider Well-Known Member

I'm also on unrevoked 3 with fresh 2.2. I would love to go back to 2.1. Any way to do it?

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Have you tried flashing an old 2.1 Fresh rom?

5. 10derfoot

10derfoot Member This Topic's Starter