• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Confusion (w/ New Unrevoked Method) Question

Hey guys, mega-ultra-n00b here with some PC building experience, and a little bit of tinkering but pretty uninvolved w/ the Linux OS and it's derivatives. (My apologies for any redundant points, for I've been reading alot lately and sometimes it goes in one eye and out the other)

I want to root using the unrevoked method (From what I've read, far easier then SimpleRoot) and I got my EVO a few weeks ago, been learning how to use it and whatnot. I tried to root once (before really reading into it [didn't back up phone, and complety doing it blind more or less])

Now that I've read up on some of this, some questions are still up in the air. They've all been hit in previous posts, but they're just not clicking with how I'm thinking.

Questions for the smart ones:
1.) I read about backing it up with an nandroid, but in order to make one you must be rooted to begin with? Does this mean I should root before making a backup? If not, how do I backup prior to rooting? (Preferably w/o paying for an app to do so)

2.) The unrevoked method is neat for people like me because it's simple, but there's nothing I'm losing by doing this method versus the simpleroot, correct? (esp. with the new release and some of it's sustainability issues)

3.) Again, with unrevoked's new release for the Android 2.2 - has anyone tried it within the last few days and has it worked out well? Safe to trust these new releases? (Afraid of the brick potentially)

From what I understand - here's my order of operations. (Please confirm if this is right)

1.) Download an app to backup my out-of-the-box (stock) ROM. This is on hand on my computer so if something goes wrong during the rooting process, or flashing of ROM process, I'll have something to go back to.

2.) Go through with the unrevoked method. BAM, I'm rooted (Hooray!)

3.) Make a few nandroids of my freshly rooted, still pretty much stock phone for further backup.

4.) Go nuts with rooting power!

Right? I think? I hope? Thanks guys!

-Mike

PS Using a Sprint EVO 4G, Android Froyo (2.2) with Software Number: 3.30.651.3

Hey guys, mega-ultra-n00b here with some PC building experience, and a little bit of tinkering but pretty uninvolved w/ the Linux OS and it's derivatives. (My apologies for any redundant points, for I've been reading alot lately and sometimes it goes in one eye and out the other)

I want to root using the unrevoked method (From what I've read, far easier then SimpleRoot) and I got my EVO a few weeks ago, been learning how to use it and whatnot. I tried to root once (before really reading into it [didn't back up phone, and complety doing it blind more or less])

Now that I've read up on some of this, some questions are still up in the air. They've all been hit in previous posts, but they're just not clicking with how I'm thinking.

Questions for the smart ones:
1.) I read about backing it up with an nandroid, but in order to make one you must be rooted to begin with? Does this mean I should root before making a backup? If not, how do I backup prior to rooting? (Preferably w/o paying for an app to do so)

2.) The unrevoked method is neat for people like me because it's simple, but there's nothing I'm losing by doing this method versus the simpleroot, correct? (esp. with the new release and some of it's sustainability issues)

3.) Again, with unrevoked's new release for the Android 2.2 - has anyone tried it within the last few days and has it worked out well? Safe to trust these new releases? (Afraid of the brick potentially)

From what I understand - here's my order of operations. (Please confirm if this is right)

1.) Download an app to backup my out-of-the-box (stock) ROM. This is on hand on my computer so if something goes wrong during the rooting process, or flashing of ROM process, I'll have something to go back to.

2.) Go through with the unrevoked method. BAM, I'm rooted (Hooray!)

3.) Make a few nandroids of my freshly rooted, still pretty much stock phone for further backup.

4.) Go nuts with rooting power!

Right? I think? I hope? Thanks guys!

-Mike

PS Using a Sprint EVO 4G, Android Froyo (2.2) with Software Number: 3.30.651.3

1. Yes, you need root and nand unlocked (s-off) to be able to make a nandroid backup. I suggest using Titanium Backup to make a backup of your apps, settings, data, etc. in case something goes wrong, unfortunately you'll have to pay the $5 required to get full functionality (ie: batch restores, etc.).

2. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by not losing anything, but no, you wouldn't be losing anything but you'll be gaining root using the unrevoked method.

3. Yes, there have been plenty of people among these threads that have rooted their Evo's (with the newer partitions and hboot versions) successfully w/o issue. The unrevoked team is a time tested, reliable, and proven method of rooting/unlocking nand (s-off). And honestly it's VERY VERY hard and uncommen to brick your phone using these methods. I haven't heard of anyone yet bricking their phone using unrevoked3 to be honest.

4. And your order looks good to me lol :p.

Reactions: biggestofmikes
Upvote 0
You say to root and then make an nandroid (backup [sorry, I know you know - I'm just practicing getting all these terms in my head!])...

However you also say that my operations seem correct... if this is the case, what do you advise I use to back my phone up PRIOR to rooting?

I apologize for not being clear in my last response. You cannot (like Akazabam mentions) do a *full* backup with Titanium Backup unless you're rooted. There are applications you can find in the market to back some of your stuff up.

AppBrain - sync's with your gmail account and creates a list of your apps installed so after you flash a custom rom, you can login to this app and restore your applications

SMS Backup and Restore - creates a backup of your sms and call log to restore at a later date if necessary

You can also copy the contents of your sd card to your pc like mentioned earlier in this thread.

Upvote 0
So I go to Root... and I install the hboot drivers successfully, and I leave the phone on in the hboot USB PLUG and when I go to turn on unrevoked, it just sits and says waiting for device, make sure HTC sense is uninstalled (blah blah blah)

I've done everything, USB debugging, charge only, all that jazz... and now I'm just sitting with a phone that has hboot drivers on it and sits there plugged into unrevoked and doesn't do anything.

Anyone else have this issue?

Upvote 0
I had this problem, regarding HTC sync, it kept telling me to uninstall it, but I never installed it in the first place!!
So finally I downloaded HTC sync, installed it, then unistalled it, and then presto, I was all good :)

Do I have to actually use the phone with it at all or just do it on my install/uninstall via the computer?

-Mike

PS Thanks everyone! =)

Upvote 0
man that was my best stuff right there lol
does it still tell you to "uninstall HTC sync"?
Have you made sure that your USB debugging is turned on? Settings-applications-development-USB debugging should have a check mark...

My problem was that it kept telling me to uninstall HTC sync, and when I installed and then unistalled, it was fixed.

Upvote 0
I guess I was just a moron and didn't install the hboot drivers correctly. Restarted my netbook, reinstalled the bootloader and unrevoked worked like a friggen charm!

Even this didn't help me. I've followed every thread I can find related to "Waiting for device. Plug phone in now..." and I couldn't get past this screen.

Installing and then uninstalling HTC sync was may last option, but it didn't make much sense but I did it anyway. After I installed it and went to uninstall it, I noticed two entries in the list, HTC Sync and HTC driver installer. I uninstalled HTC Sync but I left HTC driver installer and whadda you know?

Unrevoked finished installing.

Upvote 0
Even this didn't help me. I've followed every thread I can find related to "Waiting for device. Plug phone in now..." and I couldn't get past this screen.

Installing and then uninstalling HTC sync was may last option, but it didn't make much sense but I did it anyway. After I installed it and went to uninstall it, I noticed two entries in the list, HTC Sync and HTC driver installer. I uninstalled HTC Sync but I left HTC driver installer and whadda you know?

Unrevoked finished installing.

I was having this issue rooting my phone today. The USB drivers installed and reported Hboot successfully. I had never installed HTC sync so that wasn't my problem. I tried every usb connection setting except HTC Sync. Finally, I decided to click the HTC Sync option and unrevoked began to work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones