• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root? Developer Options

I'm saying it's a similar program to odin but I don't think you can issue adb commands in download mode. When I get home though I'm going to try adding a whole list of vendor ids.
Here's the hardware IDs I get in download mode
hardwareids.png

Upvote 0
So after reading countless forums from here and xda with the adb n stuff, I finally just winged it and started pressing buttons pretty much. Here's what I did to get into recovery:

1. Turn off phone
2. Hold volume down button, then hold power button while still holding volume down button.
3. Factory reset screen comes up then screen goes blank, but not really sure what it means.
2. Now, Hold volume up button, then hold power button while still holding volume up button.
3. You're in recovery! Thats as far as I got. . lol but progress nonetheless.

P.S. I also had a hell of a time getting into developer mode for usb debugging activation because it's hidden in factory settings.

You need to go to
Settings

Reactions: portezbie
Upvote 0
what is this "safe mode" thats on my screen after turning the developer options on?
Safe mode is just like safe mode in Windows. Only stock system software is loaded and allowed to run. It has nothing to do with Developers Options. Should go away if you just reboot. You can access safe mode by holding the power off menu option, and it will ask if you want to boot in safe mode. Also, if you turn on your phone then start holding Vol- when the logo appears until it boots all the way it will boot into safe mode. Did you do either of these things, perhaps accidentally?

Upvote 0
Good luck. I just spent an hour with lg hearing how they can't legally unlock the bootloader no matter which carrier.

I thought a requirement for using Linux based systems is to provide the source code. Wouldn't the boot loader count as that?

I would think that since Android is Linux based there should be no restrictions...almost sounds like a legal fight coming.

I'm having no joy with this phone so far...I love it as far as functionality goes but not being able to root, I'm frustrated that I cannot get rid of ads and also realized that I cannot set up my wifi hotspot anymore. :(

Upvote 0
I thought a requirement for using Linux based systems is to provide the source code. Wouldn't the boot loader count as that?

I would think that since Android is Linux based there should be no restrictions...almost sounds like a legal fight coming.

I'm having no joy with this phone so far...I love it as far as functionality goes but not being able to root, I'm frustrated that I cannot get rid of ads and also realized that I cannot set up my wifi hotspot anymore. :(

The requirement as per the GPL is that the kernel is open source.

Anything else is fair game

Reactions: bluemonstr
Upvote 0
not to sound dumb, but, doesnt the optimus f3 have a locked bootloader, and they rooted it, right?

yes originally they had used motochopper then virgin mobile did a software update and then saferoot is what was used, bootloader was never able to be unlocked.

so no roms just had download mode and the lg support tool to flash back to stock which looks like what this phone is doing

Upvote 0
yes originally they had used motochopper then virgin mobile did a software update and then saferoot is what was used, bootloader was never able to be unlocked.

so no roms just had download mode and the lg support tool to flash back to stock which looks like what this phone is doing

im not really interested in roms at the moment, just get rid of some of the bloat. this is a great phone....i came from the optimus elite.

Reactions: donjuro
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones