Root Droid X Froyo with Droid 2 Method

Last Updated:

1. Sheba611

Sheba611 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

WARNING: THE DROID 2 ROOT METHOD WAS DEVELOPED BY XDA DEVELOPERS TO ROOT THE DROID 2. THE XDA DEVELOPERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU USE THIS METHOD ON THE DROID X AND IT DOES NOT WORK OR "BRICKS" YOUR DROID X!

The method used to root Droid 2 works on Droid X:

How to root the Droid 2 - xda-developers

I have successfully used this method to root my Droid X when root was lost when I updated to Froyo. I suggest you only use this method if you have sbf so you can flash back to 2.1 if something goes wrong.

My PC runs Windows 7 64bit so I had to make some adjustments to get it to work:

1. Turn off USB debugging and connect Droid X to PC with USB. Wait for drivers to install.
    2. Turn on USB debugging. Wait for drivers to install again.
    3. Put Droid X in Windows Media Sync mode.
    4. Open terminal and change directory to where your adb files are stored. Run "adb devices" to make sure adb can see your Droid X. I also put the "rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" file in same directory as adb.
    5. After running the complete procedure, turn off phone and do a battery pull.

I hope this method works for everyone who lost root when they updated to Froyo. And before anyone asks, I did follow the method on alldroid.org for updating to Froyo with root and still lost root.

Get Motorola USB drivers here

Advertisement
    rpenkar, DrWurm, mruno and 1 other person like this.
  2. jeglinas

jeglinas Active Member

Konda hesitant after losing root with update thing..But getting aggravated that i'm not rooted,,,

3. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Then what are you hesitant about? :confused:

4. jeglinas

jeglinas Active Member

I think later on tonight.... when i'm at work and caffineated:D

5. berkisho

berkisho Member

cannot copy to sd card from command line...

C:\android\Droid2Root\Droid2Root>adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/sdcard/Superuser.apk': Permission denied

I get permission denied; I also cannot read from the /sdcard or /mnt/sdcard the folder appears to be blank.

USB is in Mass Storage mode, the only mode that gives me the debug icon and connects to adb...

any help apprecieated.

6. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

it should be in media sync mode, usb storage... the sdcard is mounted

7. mruno

mruno Well-Known Member

worked great for me, thanks!

8. berkisho

berkisho Member

My PC (Win XP) does not recognize ADB in Media sync mode? any ideas?

9. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

ya gotta let it install the drivers with debugging off first then turn debugging on

10. berkisho

berkisho Member

I have debugging "off", but it does NOT ask me to install drivers for media sync mode????

11. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I love rooting my phone with my phone. Android Terminal Emulator FTW!

12. Big_Meech

Big_Meech Member

worked for me....lil tip when it says it'll kick you DON'T close the terminal just wait and it'll come back.

13. Sheba611

Sheba611 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You first need to download and install the Motorola USB drivers for the OS you are using. Motorola uses an executable file, so run that first before connecting your DX to the PC. It is also suggested you reboot your PC after running the Motorola program. Turn off USB debugging and connect your DX to PC. All the USB drivers for the DX will automatically install, but it takes a while (you will see the progress in the task bar). When the message pops up that the drivers have installed successfully, then you can turn on USB debugging. On my PC it started the USB driver installation again. I waited for that to complete before opening a terminal window and running the adb commands. I also put my DX in Windows Media Sync mode because adb could not find the DX in PC sync mode. Users on other forums said the PC sync mode still worked for them. ymmv.

For the first command, run "adb devices" to make sure adb sees your DX. No reason to continue further if you don't see a device or get an error message.

14. Texan08

Texan08 New Member

Ok I followed the post to the T all went well it seems, after a battery pull and restart, went into applications clicked on the Superuser Permissions icon it opens but there is nothing but a blank screen with the words Superuser Permissions at the very top.
    should there be something else there.
    Thanks

15. ad720

ad720 Well-Known Member

Nothing will be there until you install an app that requires SU permissions.

Texan08 likes this.
  16. firedawg24

firedawg24 New Member

were you able to accomplish this with terminal emulator? If so how, I have been looking but no luck yet.

17. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

yeah, I put all the files on the root of my sd card and using the commands from the droid2 root method to push all the files where they needed to be. Worked like a champ!

18. strider51

strider51 New Member

And it worked. I might mention that I was previously rooted before on the leaked version of 2.2. BUT... I flashed back to 2.1 today for the official update. After flashing, I no longer had root obviously. And then after the official upgrade, I definitely didn't have root.

Tried the process as described but just replace:

[FONT=&quot]cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

with this:

cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin/su[/FONT]

AND:

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

with this:

[FONT=&quot]chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su[/FONT]

Also, when running the [FONT=&quot]./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin [/FONT][FONT=&quot], it looked like it wasn't working. I tried it 3 times total. The third time I just left it sitting there at the $ prompt for like 20 minutes. Came back, it was still sitting there and never kicked me out so I figured it didn't work. However, when I came back in, BAM! I had the #.

And just to be sure, after rebooting, I ran Root Explorer and was able to mount the system folders as rw (instead of read only)

Sweeeeeeeeeet

And yes, I just signed up to post this.
    [/FONT]

19. rpenkar

rpenkar New Member

Perfect.

Took no time at all. Thanks a lot.

(BTW this was after the OTA update.)

20. RFHavens

RFHavens Member

Guys,
    I have completed the OTA this morning and all was well with that. I followed the procedure to get rooted again using the Droid 2 method (5 times so far). I do not get any errors and do see the # after the last adb shell command. Once I exit out of ADB and reboot/batt pull on the phone, I do not have root access as tested with Titanium and Root Explorer not have root access. I also tried closing the ADB from task manager, but still the same results. I did make sure to cp the two files to the xbin folder.

The Superuser app is in the app drawer as well.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks, Robert

21. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Did you reboot?

22. RFHavens

RFHavens Member

23. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Copy su to the /system/bin folder instead. That's where it belongs there maybe an OTA version of su there already that you need to overwrite.

You can also install a terminal program and try running the su in /system/xbin to see if you get #. If so it's just a configuration issue not Moto playing new tricks.

24. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Well-Known Member

Are they identical commands? I rooted 2.1 using terminal and I prefer using it.

25. RFHavens

RFHavens Member

Lars, just did that and rebooted. Not sure if that was it or if it was because of the 7th try, but it is now rooted. Thanks for the help.