• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Exploit Has Been Found. DO NOT UPDATE FURTHER

Will you hold off on the OTA until we get more info on the possible exploit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now see the one thing I don't get is why you guys tell us not to upgrade right after the v3 leak came out. Isn't that kinda redundant? I mean, a lot of us like myself are gonna try out the leak and not think a discovery like this will ever happen. If this can root my v3 leak then cool but if not then you just made a lot of people angry.

Just ONE forum member told you not to update. Another guy told you not to get too excited yet. Andrizoid, I respect you because you do good work for the community and rooted roms but I think you have to be careful about dropping any bombs that even sound like there is certainty or people on here will be threatening you. My topic title would have said something along the lines that there is a possible exploit and that some MAY want to stay tuned and hold off on upgrade or I may not have posted at all.

Upvote 0
EDIT: THIS IS ONLY A POSSIBLE VULNERABILITY. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE DEVS ARE NOT EVEN CONSIDERING THIS AS AN EXPLOIT AT THE MOMENT.

Really now....Liar. Just to point out, this is my next project (getting this to work, that is).

Also, this will be realeased under the "Anti-No-Credit-Given" license. Same rules apply as previous releases.

Upvote 0
Really now....Liar. Just to point out, this is my next project (getting this to work, that is).

Also, this will be realeased under the "Anti-No-Credit-Given" license. Same rules apply as previous releases.

It's good to actually hear from the true source of this information. Thank you for taking the time to come here and clarify a bit, and for your work on this.

Reactions: korben dallas
Upvote 0
So a new exploit has been discovered and devs are working on it.

What this means to you.

1. This WILL help for those who leaked to get root.
2. DO NOT UPDATE! This includes to the OTA when it is released.
3. Be patient, this was only discovered today and is only a possible exploit.

Possible root exploit zifnab06.net

EDIT: THIS IS ONLY A POSSIBLE VULNERABILITY. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE DEVS ARE NOT EVEN CONSIDERING THIS AS AN EXPLOIT AT THE MOMENT.

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE THE DEVS ABOUT THIS. THEY ARE ALREADY WORKING ON IT, DO NOT BOTHER THEM FURTHER!

/me facepalms.

This is being worked on, its not a proven exploit quite yet, dont be a go between, devs done need it.

Reactions: hallstevenson
Upvote 0
EQUIPMENT SOFTWARE ALERT
HTC Eris – MR3 Software Release
Overview:
New software (ROM: 2.36.605.1/Radio: 2.42.00.04.12) has been approved for the HTC Eris (ADR6200); customers will begin to receive the software update notification starting Tuesday May 11, 2010.
Important Reminder: Direct Communication stores do not support software upgrades of advanced devices.
Key Enhancements:
Android 2.1 Operating System Upgrade
Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the Gallery and Google Maps™
Google Maps with Navigation provides free, traffic-enhanced, turn-by-turn navigation
Support for 19 Microsoft

Upvote 0
This whole "you have to root" thing is getting ridiculous. I'm sure there are benefits to doing it, but stop making it out like we HAVE to do this.

I agree that nobody "has" to do it, but I don't think he was necessarily suggesting that. I think he just knows that there's a large group of people on this forum that would love the opportunity to root - so the urgency conveyed in his message was probably aimed toward that select group. Just what I gathered from it.

Reactions: andrizoid
Upvote 0
I agree that nobody "has" to do it, but I don't think he was necessarily suggesting that. I think he just knows that there's a large group of people on this forum that would love the opportunity to root - so the urgency conveyed in his message was probably aimed toward that select group. Just what I gathered from it.

Call me crazy but when someone posts in caps that usually means they are being more assertive then when just typing in lower case.

Upvote 0
@ jcase and zinfab why are you guys so hard on andrizoid? He's been nothing but helpful over here. Maybe he jumps the gun a little when he gets excited, but everyone has done it from time to time.

Because it's the people who get excited over the smallest detail and turn it into something it's not. (yet anyway) Then the devs get bombarded with question after question about things that haven't even happened yet, people get angry because they got excited then find out nothing is really going on and it's usually directed at the devs. Who by the way are doing all of this, for free mostly, and have lives outside of these forums or the IRC. Some people act like these guys lock them selves in a room and plug away at all this stuff, seriously. We've lost some good devs over people and the way they react to things.

People need to have some patience and take things as they are, not try to get people excited just so they can feel like they are "in the know". If this vulnerability turns out to be an actual exploit, believe me it WILL be made known.

@jcase and zifnab, THANK YOU for all that you do, there are some of us that appreciate you!

Upvote 0
@ jcase and zinfab why are you guys so hard on andrizoid? He's been nothing but helpful over here. Maybe he jumps the gun a little when he gets excited, but everyone has done it from time to time.

How am I being hard? I didnt call him names, or anything. I pointed out that it was not an exploit. Posts like this get people excited for no reason. Then I pointed out people are working on it. I also said devs done need a go between, that just ends up bad.

Reactions: andrizoid
Upvote 0
Hmmm, odd, Andrizoid has been completely silent over the last couple days after weeks of posting like a mad man.

I shouldn't have said that, it was wrong of me.... something just came over me and I couldn't control myself, hopefully this will rectify the situation.

I'm really looking forward to the new exploit that Andrizoid has so kindly brought to our attention.

How's that Caddy.... better?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones