Root explorer or estrongs?

Last Updated:

1. donaldb1986

donaldb1986 Active Member This Topic's Starter

What are the advantages of root explorer over estrongs file explorer?

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I was going to say that Estrongs is not root-aware, but... I'll be darned! After a little poking around, I do see that the current version (1.4.4.1) has an "experimental" functionality claiming to support CM or HiAPK root ROMs. When you use it, up pops this message:

I tested briefly on the Eris with a TazzFroyoCM6-V8 (which is a CM ROM), and it seems to be able to browse protected /system folders, and also successfully toggle the mount status of the /system partition back and forth between "ro" and "rw"

I think RootExplorer has been in the "root aware" file-manager business a fair bit longer than EStrongs, so there are probably a few areas where it is more capable; OTOH, 98% of what you would want to do in a file manager is ... um... manage files. Seems like you could do that in either.

eu1

3. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

I could view /system without having the root option enabled. I'm using EStrongs because it's free. :D

4. donaldb1986

donaldb1986 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am running the tainted vanilla rom and was wanting to use dialerone as my default dialer. could i use estrongs or would i have to use root explorer?

5. erisuser1

Yeah, my bad. Turns out that nothing in /system prevents reading or listing of directories by unprivileged processes.

OTOH, try doing that with /sbin or folders in /sys - you'll need to be root to do that.

eu1

6. erisuser1

So long as you make a Nandroid backup immediately before you begin, there is no harm in trying. If you mess things up - just restore the Nandroid backup.

Let us know how it goes.

7. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

Estrongs is a full featured file manager, with ROOT access options. It's had it for at least 6 months or more. It's free, it has a file editor, text viewer and more. I highly recommend if you your not willing to pay for Root Explorer. You can zip and unzip stuff in it(just like RE), and it has an app manager for quick access to removing files, you can also access network folders and such(not able to do in RE).

I use both, at some point on a 2.1 rom, ES File Manager wasn't getting full root access so I bought Root Explorer, since I paid for it and switched roms, I still use it. but if I didn't have that issue that one time I would have never bought Root Explorer. Both are useful.