• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Explorer vs Astro File Manager

troutbeck27

Oct 1, 2010
OK for you rooted experts.

I have been doing some research here this morning about the two.

I already have Astro File Manager Pro downloaded on my phone as well as Titanium Backup Pro.

I don't plan on doing any file deleting or renaming or anything along those lines YET.

So my question is, do I really need Root Explorer or do the two programs I already have all I need.

Thanks,

Troutbeck27

I have root explorer but don't use it. I rename my apps via command line. Actually I've stopped renaming them and just move them to another directory all using the command line.

Root explorer allows you to rename if you don't like the command line and it will also mount and umount the filesystem. I do that with a shell script.

Upvote 0
I have the Atrix, rooted and I froze all of the unwanted apps instead of uninstalling them. I have titanium backup and Astro. What's the benefit of getting Root Explorer? What does it exactly do? lol So far I can tell other than wipping apps from your phone...which Titanium backup does. The only benefit is that you can see the System file and move them? What's the point of this? I can't ROM or anything as well. I can't seem to find the benefit of this app for me. I've tried googling but for some reason, this was the best thread I found :/ And worst, the developer, Speed software doesn't even have a website for this app. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Roze-

Upvote 0
I actually have and use both. Anytime I am working just with the SD card I will use astro, when I decide to screw around with the root on my phone I will use Root Explorer. I was very comfortable with Astro prior to root and It is prettier than Root Explorer. If I had to choose to only use one I would choose Root Explorer as I can mount /sys/ as r/w and edit however I feel.

As to the statement that it is better to rename/freeze apps instead of deleting system apps, depending on your phone it may be. With any moto phone from the Droid X and newer if you remove any system apps and an OTA is sent out you can not install the OTA and have to flash the phone back to stock before you can upgrade.

Upvote 0
I actually have and use both. Anytime I am working just with the SD card I will use astro, when I decide to screw around with the root on my phone I will use Root Explorer. I was very comfortable with Astro prior to root and It is prettier than Root Explorer. If I had to choose to only use one I would choose Root Explorer as I can mount /sys/ as r/w and edit however I feel.

:thinking: Can you tell me in detail of the comment bolded? What if I'm NOT technical savy wrt to commands and what not. I'm still not sure of the benefit on it other than editing/moving those files. Other than deleting, what kind of edit do you do?

Upvote 0
Why do you need to edit files? I understand if you need to delete them.

Depending on which device I am using. Normally I use it to freeze apps so they do not auto start and drain battery. I do not have the donate version of Titanium so I can not freeze apps that way (long story paypal hates me but it is mutual), I could choose to uninstall the system apps however with my device if I remove an app I will not get the OTA when/if it becomes available. When I was using the D1 I would use it to replace system apps so I could have a custom rom that was more suited to my taste. All this could be done via ADB or with terminal

Upvote 0
Depending on which device I am using. Normally I use it to freeze apps so they do not auto start and drain battery. I do not have the donate version of Titanium so I can not freeze apps that way (long story paypal hates me but it is mutual), I could choose to uninstall the system apps however with my device if I remove an app I will not get the OTA when/if it becomes available. When I was using the D1 I would use it to replace system apps so I could have a custom rom that was more suited to my taste. All this could be done via ADB or with terminal
OK, thanks for the clarification. I've come to the conclusion I don't need Root Explorer atm, lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones