• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root for gingerbread 2.3.3 + universal root guide

Did you root your phone successfully with this method?

• Total voters
I've worked out how to get into the boot up screen. The instructions are not quite right but here's how I did it.

Hold down Home + Power button.
When Samsung appears let go of power button but keep Home button pressed.

I ran the root file but the validator is telling me that I don't have root access.

Is it safe to run the file again or should I do something else?

Upvote 0
This worked a treat for me. Rooted Galaxy Ace GB 2.3.3 just followed the first instructions on this thread. I have no superuser showing in applications but I have installed two apps: install manager and link2SD. The install manager runs to give me SU and allows me to move apps no problem from internal memory to the SD card. I haven't used link2SD since rooting, ss install manager seems to do it all seamlessly anyway. It did manage to move some of the apps to the SD card before I rooted the phone, but I think you have to create a second primary partition on the SD card.

This is all great and I've freed up space on the internal memory so now the phone stops complaining and freezing because "internal memory full", but I also realise I'm at the tip of the iceberg on what I can do now - so what other amazing mods can I make to my phone now? Can I stop the totally gob-smackingly frustrating error of not being able to send a text when connected to the internet until I've turned this off?

Thanks in advance of any replies even it's to point me in the direction of where to go now :)

Upvote 0
Moderator Note: There are now two guides for this forum. A specific guide for the Galaxy Ace 2.3.3 and the Universal root guide for many Samsung devices (including the Ace) in the second post. Seeing how both of these are similar, we're going to keep them in the same thread. Thanks for understanding!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Download attached file and copy it to your sdcard
2. Run in maintenance mode (power + middle button)
3. Update from sdcard, select the file upd_1.zip.
4. After the update completed - reboot in normal mode.

Thats all - now you have rooted ace with android 2.3.3, and superuser in your apps.

keep gettin "instalation aborted msg can you help plz

Upvote 0
Hi. I'm very new here, so please excuse what may seem a very stupid question. Where do I download the universal_gb_root_v25.zip file? There is a file attachment with the first post on this thread, but it has a very different name and the instructions for my phone model are in the second post.

Thank you.

Edit: found it at last. Its in the page which opens from the "Droid Forums" link in the second post.

Upvote 0
Looks like the developer has abandoned this thread, so for all who are having trouble rooting your phones you should search this thread because most of the problems you are reporting have been reported before and their solutions are given here. Now i know its not easy to go through so many pages, try the search button on top, it should help you.
Still if you face problem, try this other method from a different developer, its for S5830 only, the basic procedure is same, the only thing that may be different is the rooting file.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12874680#post12874680

Its possible that you don't get replies here also because this device is more than 2 years old now, most people have moved to newer phones, most probably you will have to rely on the search button itself.

Upvote 0
Moderator Note: There are now two guides for this forum. A specific guide for the Galaxy Ace 2.3.3 and the Universal root guide for many Samsung devices (including the Ace) in the second post. Seeing how both of these are similar, we're going to keep them in the same thread. Thanks for understanding!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Download attached file and copy it to your sdcard
2. Run in maintenance mode (power + middle button)
3. Update from sdcard, select the file upd_1.zip.
4. After the update completed - reboot in normal mode.

Thats all - now you have rooted ace with android 2.3.3, and superuser in your apps.

I followed your instructions (found that I need to hold the power, home and volume up buttons on my S5839i 2.3.6) but when I go into maintenance mode and select the file it cannot find the SU file to download. I have checked loads of times that it is on the phone and can select it when it is in normal mode....i don't know what else to do!! I have already tried several programs from different sites.

Upvote 0
I really want to use my Galaxy Ace s5830, but this is becoming ridiculous. I've followed the instructions, downloaded the update, update from the sdcard in recovery mode, it tells me it has updated. But, everytime I try to run busybox, it says, wont work without root! I'm running 2.3.6 and he build number is BGKT4. I've tried so many differnt downloaded files, all of which say its been updated, but the phone is never rooted when I use busybox or rootchecker. Think it might have to be thrown away! I want to unlock the phone and dont feel confident that if I paid for a unlock key that it would work! there is just too much going wrong.

Upvote 0
Just Tried AGAIN! Still nothing. But, I do have something else to report. At the bottom of the recovery screen I have the line

-- Appling Multi-CSC --
Can't access to '/system/csc/XEC/system'.

Would this be a reason why the phone wont root.
Two other things to mention, the updates run in recovery mode and the phone reports its been updated, and two, in the directory lidt in recovery mode, "downloads" does not appear so I have to put the . zip files in the root or a.n.other directory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones