• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROOT GUIDE] Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2

I've been running that kernel for the past week and it's been running great. The only problem I have with it is that under About Device> Status> Network comes up as UnKnown. Not a big deal tho really, everything works.
I've been running ProjectX 3.6 for about the same amount of time too. Love this ROM with all the add-ons and tweaks. I'm still trying to get it all dialed in the way I like it.

I thought after you flash the ROM your supposed to flash a different kernel than the one you installed with? I install with EL26 then flashed this GB27 with recovery. Unneeded step?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Is there a repacked kernal that works with Jellybean? I'd like to have my 4G working again. : / Currently running stock ROM with this kernal 3.0.74+ Garwynn@SXTPBuildBox #GC01_v0.5.0 SMP PREEMT Sun Apr 21 03:04:26 CDT 2013

This kernel you list is Jellybean repack. Have you ensured you're running a jelly bean modem? What's your baseband version?

Upvote 0
That is a source built kernel. You have to be running the jelly bean base band for Touch Wiz JB (GC01, GB27, etc)

I stand corrected. Too many open threads lol. Agat's has a repack that'll work on GC01. I used to use it alot. And you are correct my friend. That's what I was asking the poster to check and make sure they were running a JB modem with a JB build :)

Reactions: Titchener17
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hello everybody, last night I was able to root my SGS2 thanks to all the information on here. My problem is that I havent been able to find an app on the market that will support the kernel I got, the reason i rooted is so I could adjust the mic gain control levels. Am i supposed to get a diffrent kernel and follow the same process or do i need to flash a modem? I am new to all this and this is the first time I try to root a phone

Upvote 0
Hello everybody, last night I was able to root my SGS2 thanks to all the information on here. My problem is that I havent been able to find an app on the market that will support the kernel I got, the reason i rooted is so I could adjust the mic gain control levels. Am i supposed to get a diffrent kernel and follow the same process or do i need to flash a modem? I am new to all this and this is the first time I try to root a phone

Hello, the Modem just controls things like your 3g data, so if your data is working, don't mess with it. The kernel HAS to be compatible with the ROM. You can look for an app that will give you that feature, or a ROM that has that feature.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply im starting to understand all this a little better now, I will look around for a ROM thatll work and see where I go from there hopefully I can get it working, again thank you!

No Problem. There are many ROMs availaable for this phone. It is the same phone as the Epic 4g Touch, and that is how it is listed on XDA. Most ROMs will have Sprint labeling, but these will work fine with only a minor change to the MMS server settings for your MMS messages to work. Take your time and do a little reading and follow the instructions on the OP for any ROM you decide to try out.

Upvote 0
I deleted everything on my phone by mistake and the CWM Recovery backup is the wrong one! I can't even boot my phone normally! If someone has an AGAT formatted Factory Reset Recovery, please post! Desperate here!! It has no MD5 and won't recover.. If anyone can please help.. Just backup data, factory reset, backup again and send me the final backup..? Please!! (Boost Mobile Galaxy S2 w/ Agat Recovery)

Upvote 0
Okay I follow the guide to a t and the route seems to work but when I try to turn the phone on I get the Samsung screen with the yellow triangle and that's it. And the phone seems to get hot what is wrong?

That guide was written before Jelly Bean was released. Was your device on Jelly Bean? If so then you mostlikely flashed in the wrong kernel. You have two option to fix. First is to Odin flash the kernel that works for JB. Or re flash the ROM. You can get the kernel for JB from the link below.

[UPDATE][KERNEL][SOURCE] JB GB27 v1.4.2 with AGAT tREC_v0.3.5 recovery 08/14/13 - xda-developers

Reactions: Nuninablender
Upvote 0
That guide was written before Jelly Bean was released. Was your device on Jelly Bean? If so then you mostlikely flashed in the wrong kernel. You have two option to fix. First is to Odin flash the kernel that works for JB. Or re flash the ROM. You can get the kernel for JB from the link below.

[UPDATE][KERNEL][SOURCE] JB GB27 v1.4.2 with AGAT tREC_v0.3.5 recovery 08/14/13 - xda-developers

so just flash the file you linked with odin and follow the other steps?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones