• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROOT GUIDE] Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2

Hey Duskoms i just returned my phone back to stock , it was easy and worked really good. Im going to be an expert in about a couple of years if i keep this up LOL Thanks again im about to reinstall guyphs guide and will let you guys know the out come. be back in a min,

Good to hear that.. And I don't know what you did wrong but installing or uninstalling titanium has nothing to do with the cell crashing on boot... And don't use titanium to freeze or uninstall system apps if you don't really know what you're doing...

Upvote 0
Well now my battery has full charge I have reinstalled guyphs guide to root, worked just like it did the first time. Before the cell crash I preformed a complete backup on titanium, the first thing that I installed on my phone after useing guyphs guide was titanium. everything was on titanium from a to z just clicked a couple of buttons and BAMMM!!!!!!!!! there they were, Amazing. Titanium is well worth the $$$$$$$$. Thanks guyphs ...Duskoms. for your help and for all the other good post for wonderful info. see ya

Upvote 0
The Kies I downloaded from the OP just shows hotfix installing but it won't complete it.
So instead I went to the webpage Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung and downloaded that one instead.

It installed fine.

Then it wouldn't show my device. It never showed "Connecting".
Well, You HAVE to use the USB cord that came with your phone (Perhaps a any Samsung specific one would work, I don't know for sure).
All my other cords showed no activity at all when I attempted to use them.

It turns out it's also picky about which USB port I use as well. Frustrating.

The part with installing recovery using ODEN went flawlessly. Mere seconds.
I used the 5.4.tar.
There is a newer one but I'd read here this was the version that was tried, tested and successful. I can confirm this too.

Pulled battery, Went in to mount so I can add Superuser.zip.
It won't even read the SD card. Says it can't mount it.
I've had a crap ton of problems with my memory card and this device not reading it.

So I was sitting in recovery going "Crap". @.@

I turned the phone back on, Well now it shows that the Hardware ID isn't recognizable when I plug the phone in.
So I'm going to download that Superuser.zip again from the phone itself.

I had to remove the memory card from the phone, Then download superuser.zip again. *Sigh*
It saved under download in the file manager, I then moved it up one level so it would be in the root of the internal SD card.
Then flashed it through recovery with the internal storage option.

It worked.
Using TiBu now..... Then I'll do a Nandroid.
Now how to figure out how to get my computer to recognize the phone again....

LOL.

Edit: Triangle Away worked perfectly.

Upvote 0
I'm not having too much luck with this. Every time I flash the Agat kernel I just get stuck at the yellow triangle screen. I can flash back to stock fg31 no problem, and everything's working again. I've tried multiple versions of the kernel and I can't seem to get it.

I even tried untarring the kernel, and replacing the zImage in the stock Odin image. same problem. is it because I'm running fg31?

Upvote 0
I'm not having too much luck with this. Every time I flash the Agat kernel I just get stuck at the yellow triangle screen. I can flash back to stock fg31 no problem, and everything's working again. I've tried multiple versions of the kernel and I can't seem to get it.

I even tried untarring the kernel, and replacing the zImage in the stock Odin image. same problem. is it because I'm running fg31?

First, you can find the newest update (FI22) of the phone here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1799769&page=23
Use that one instead of the fg31 (it's the full newest system)
Flash Agat and, from within agat, flash the SU zip (you'll find it in there too).

The Agat v0.5.4 worked for me, now I'm realizing there are newer versions... (I'll download the newest to keep up to date....) You can get them here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1767421

Good Luck

Reactions: jakd
Upvote 0
maybe that's it... I've been using Odin 1.85. The internet here's pretty damn slow, so I tried just doing an ota update to fh## then flashing the kernel based on fh. That didn't work, maybe it is odin.

thanks for the link to fi22 though, I'll grab that when I find some faster wifi.

Edit: no luck with latest Odin. I'll give fi22 a shot later tonight. thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
maybe that's it... I've been using Odin 1.85. The internet here's pretty damn slow, so I tried just doing an ota update to fh## then flashing the kernel based on fh. That didn't work, maybe it is odin.

thanks for the link to fi22 though, I'll grab that when I find some faster wifi.

..Not sure if 1.85 is the problem, I used it before in this same cell and didn't have a problem.

If you're going to use the FG31 you'll have to update OTA to FH29 and FI22, when you're done with that you can flash Agat and root your cell.

Upvote 0
Do you have a root for (Fi22) samsung galaxy s 2 4g(boost mobile) Android 4.0.4

Asuming that you know how to root your cell do this:

Download Odin v3.04 and SuperUser from here: Rwilco12's Android Repository

Download Agat_v0.6.3.tar from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1767421

Install Samsung Kies in your PC. Put the SuperUser zip in your cell's external SD card. Flash Agat from Odin (make sure Kies is not running). Boot your cell into Recovery Mode and flash the SuperUser zip.

Upvote 0
Asuming that you know how to root your cell do this:

Download Odin v3.04 and SuperUser from here: Rwilco12's Android Repository

Download Agat_v0.6.3.tar from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1767421

Install Samsung Kies in your PC. Put the SuperUser zip in your cell's external SD card. Flash Agat from Odin (make sure Kies is not running). Boot your cell into Recovery Mode and flash the SuperUser zip.

I have been trying to figure this pout for a few days now. Has anybody successfully rooted FI22 without any issues ? I read somebodies 3G stopped working, I have had this phone for about a week now and have not rooted because Im unsure if it works fine. Can somebody please confirm they have rooted using this method after the FI22 update and everything is working correctly ? Please and thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Im just curious about the negatives to rooting, interference with services, ect. I currently bought the samsung s2 from boost mobile for a whopping $370 and am more affraid of ruining the phone more than anything but at the same time would like to enjoy the full potential of the phone. Yes im a noob 2 this but I usually do alot of reading up on things before tring them. So if you have the time I would like to ask a few questions.

* Are there any negatives to rooting and can you unroot or restore back if you brick your phone?

* What are some good roms for the galaxy s2

* Have you ever overclocked the cpu and is it that noticeable with the galaxy s2

* What are some of the top apps for rooted phones?

I hope Im not asking too much and If you have the time please reply back with what you can.

Thx. keepitG

Upvote 0
..Not sure if 1.85 is the problem, I used it before in this same cell and didn't have a problem.

If you're going to use the FG31 you'll have to update OTA to FH29 and FI22, when you're done with that you can flash Agat and root your cell.

I'm an idiot. I've been using two laptops to do this, downloading with one computer and transferring the files to the other on a usb stick. The usb stick was corrupt though, the md5sums didn't match after the transfer.

thanks for your help and sorry I'm a dumbass.

Upvote 0
so i did the root, then used triangle away. my phone bugs me 30 times a day to update, so i finally did. well, tried. after it resets to update it comes to a screen with a white triangle with a yellow question mark. and the little droid guy. and it never changes? whats going on
TO get the update to stop, go to settings scroll down to date and time uncheck auto date and time if checked. then scroll down to set date and change the year to 2014 thats what i used and it worked. Then press enter or ok, then go back to auto date and time and put a check mark , and go about your day. Read this fix on XDA worked for me.

Reactions: septembersrain
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones