• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root HBOOT 1.49 only way for now..

@EU1

I think that there may be some underlying factor within the phones or the cards themselves.(See CaptianKrtek's Root for leakers thread on XDA) That is Causing this method to be so unreliable. 4 days with no joy really got my hopes in the gutter.

For a while we were all in Tinychat while Tereg proved the method worked with the Eris. When he found a (possible) wait condition to getting it to work, but it didnt pan out.

So far at least 20 people on XDA and in Andirc managed to get root using this method on the Eris. all of them using a specific card. The few of us who are still in Andirc trying to get root have the same card that Tereg used and still no luck. Using the same timing he did, Same OS.

Anyway, There has to be an underlying factor in deciding why ADB wont stay running in recovery other than the SD card.

Upvote 0
Cross posted from XDA, a video tutorial ECLIPS3 and I recorded is available now

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Tutorial] Root for LEAKERS 7/2/10

Ok, I wanted to give everyone an update on video tutorial process.

Tereg and I finished making a recording of the video tutorial. I have the videos in the process of either being uploaded, or edited to upload to vimeo.com. They will also be available for download as standalone videos to watch on your pc. I will post links as they become available, and they will be updated in the first post.

The videos are broken up into 5 parts as below:

1) Steps 1-2, in first post, Introduction, prereqs and setup
2) Steps 3-8, more setup, format sdcard, etc
3) Step 9, which is getting fastboot, hboot, adb in recovery
4) Step 10, what to do after you have adb in recovery, pushing files in recovery
5) Optional setup, Amons recovery install, installing rom and update.zip files

The videos on are Vimeo.com in my album. The direct link to that album is Droid Eris 1.49 Root Tutorial on Vimeo. Keep refreshing that page as new videos will be automagically added to that album.

Direct download links to the individual video downloads will be posted below as they become available, but mainly in the first post of the tutorial.

Video Part One Download Link:
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Video Part Three Download Link:
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Upvote 0
This is bad news. I just booted up my replacement Eris from Verizon. HBOOT 1.49. Right out of the box. Wish I still had the original, but the speaker crapped out on it. Legit replacement there. Why would they ship these with 1.49? Just to prevent rooting?? Sometimes I hate verizon.

"Universal" in the Dummies method means "any bootloader and any stock HTC O/S - including Cupcake (1.5) versions"

"Universal" in the One-Click method means essentially the same thing, with the caveat that the one-click app only runs on 2.1.

Your Eris can be rooted with either method.

eu1

PS Note that this thread was 6 months old before you revived it - the two rooting methods I mentioned here were introduced in late July or early August.

Upvote 0
"Universal" in the Dummies method means "any bootloader and any stock HTC O/S - including Cupcake (1.5) versions"

"Universal" in the One-Click method means essentially the same thing, with the caveat that the one-click app only runs on 2.1.

Your Eris can be rooted with either method.

eu1

PS Note that this thread was 6 months old before you revived it - the two rooting methods I mentioned here were introduced in late July or early August.

Sorry. I searched with Google a bit and didn't come up with either for some reason. I promise I didn't intentionally select the difficult method that probably doesn't even work on purpose. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones