Root Help . . . for an Incredible user.

Last Updated:

1. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have an Incredible and I have been rooted since the beginning of August. I guess I didn't realize how blessed I was to have Unrevoked and Unrevoked Forever one click root.

My dad has a Droid X. He (foolishly) allowed his device to do the OTA 2.2 update and now I'm finding rooting nearly impossible. I attempted this method --> Droid X and I get to where it says "adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login". I can tell it pushed the superuser and busybox apk's through but it gets to this point and nothing happens. Does this method really work on units that upgraded using the OTA?

Any help you can give towards rooting his X would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. adrianl623

adrianl623 Well-Known Member

3. Old Member

Nevermind got it! YAHTZEE!

4. adrianl623

adrianl623 Well-Known Member

gratz man enjoy :)

5. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Yeah it took me quite a few tries as well. I was almost about to give up to be honest, started to worry that I was going to screw my phone up. Then all of a sudden it just took... meso happay!!! :D

6. Teegunn

Teegunn Well-Known Member

I used the one root click method. I was a bit nervous before I clicked on the root button, but it workd smooth and well.

7. Old Member

Is there a way to boot into recovery. For example, on my Incredible, if I get stuck in a bootloop or a ROM doesn't "take" for me, I do a battery pull then hold the volume button down and hit power. This takes me to clockwork mod and I can go into recovery, do a system restore and I am back to normal. Is there anything like this for the Droid X and if so, how do I access it?

8. yankeeboy

yankeeboy Well-Known Member

Here you are my friend. Open the app, hit Bootloader Recovery, then success pops up, then Reboot Recovery. Only way to get in

Make sure you flash clockwork mod first

Old Member likes this.
  9. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Keep in mind this isn't a true recovery like on the DI, D1, and practically every other phone, but merely a "recovery environment"

If you hose your /system partition, this won't help you restore. Only an SBF can do that. But this should still get you out of theming mishaps, removing too much bloat, etc.

Old Member likes this.
  10. Old Member

Thanks, when you flash clockwork mod, do you simply mean the clockwork mod found in ROM Manager or do you mean something else. ***Also, when I click on the .apk found at that link, nothing downloads, it takes me to a script page? BTW thanks for your help here. My dad is 64, retired and bored. Once I help him get started here, he should have a lot to explore and keep him busy. ;)

***Never mind, I right clicked on the link and clicked "save as a link" and it downloaded fine.

11. yankeeboy

yankeeboy Well-Known Member

I just followed this.

Make sure you warn your Dad that this is a bit more challenging than the Dinc...I find that it is critical to take my time with the DX...maybe it has been just getting used to the new way to load things up.

EDIT: I would post the .apk, but Koush is charging for the app from the market, its only free to download from his site.

12. Old Member

Thanks again for all your help everyone. I installed Bootstrap without any problems, got SUCCESS! Oh and I never did follow this --> http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...rk-recovery-image-deodexed-rooted-froyod.html

I just did the clockwork mod found in ROM Manager and it worked out fine. I really enjoy AF and find that regardless of the board, everyone is very helpful to one another. Oh well, my Droid X work is now done, my dad has a rooted X (and he's scared to death to flash a new rom now, lol) now back to the Incredible forums.