Root help for Noob

Last Updated: 2010-09-07 18:44:38
  1. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

wtf is S-off?
    and is there anything I need to do before I root besides downloading the drivers and uninstalling Sync and PDAnet? i.e. back up contacts or apps. what about my sd card should i take it out while the process is taking place. Im waiting for 3.2 from Unrevoked, it think.. the mods can delete this thread after a couple of answers. Thank you droid forums!

Advertisement
  2. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

You can backup your apps on Astro Manager. Then you can backup your system by turning off your phone, holding the power button and the volume down button until it loads into 'clockwork recovery'. Then you scroll down to "backup" and do that. You don't have to remove your SD card.

I don't know enough about s-off to get into details lol. I believe it just means you have turned off security Security-Off. You can do a few more things than with regular root, including official software upgrades without losing root.
    TokedUp likes this.
  3. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

Jamor, as usual, you're the best! Thanks man. I just cant figure out how to back up with astro. I have appbrain also.

how do i get the info back on after i root?
    how do i remove the preinstalled apps I dont use?
  4. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Sure thing!

You just go to menu, tools, backup to sd card, then select the apps you want to back up.

You don't need to get any info back. You don't lose any information or apps when you root. The backup is all precautionary in case something goes bad with the root which rarely happens.

Here are directions on removing apps:

Remove bloatware from HTC Droid Incredible 2.2 - Technology - Jonamerica.com
    NNN and TokedUp like this.