Root Help

Last Updated:

1. Pale_Flyer

Pale_Flyer Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 8, 2010
    I know this will sound counter productive... but i have the original moto droid running FRG22D, and i am thinking about rooting to return the clock speed to normal. I am a Comp Sci major, and know that the amount of heat my phone is pumping out where the PCB is is NOT good. and my battery life is gone to heck, i am charging from a dead battery twice + per day... and my phone is less than eight months old. I DO NOT want to brick my phone, and a.) would like suggestions/links for the actual root, and b.) if i under clock to 600Mhz like it was, can i unroot and still have the "new" clock speed? Thanks!

2. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    As far as I know you need root to run setcpu. For rooting just go to the rooting thread. It has it all there.
  3. whenbrokenx

whenbrokenx Member

Jan 1, 2010
    This like should explain how to root but i advise you to READ READ READ before you do anything. understand and be comfortable with what you're doing or else it'll bite you back later on.

If that isn't helpful then do a search in the "all things root" forum and you'll find tons of other info about rooting your droid. There is also a one click root option floating around but i think there may be some issues with it. If you search it in the forum do some reading on the subject because it'll be a lot easier to root with (provided it works well) than doing it via the link i posted above.

As for overclocking, you won't necessarily need the setcpu app unless you decide not to run a custom rom. Once you root you can get a custom kernel which will allow you to run at ultralow, low, standard voltages, etc. You can also underclock and change how the processor responds via profilesin setCpu (as i'm sure you know being a comp sci major). This will almost certainly lead to better battery life, even without clocking your droid back to stock. i.e. you can likely overclock and still get decent battery life. No one should have to recharge more than twice a day unless they're screen brightness is all the way up and constantly on, they're super heavy users, and they never put the phone to sleep/down...ever lol. Anyway, hope this helps, good luck.