Root here i come

Last Updated:

1. djron

djron Active Member This Topic's Starter

this question has probably been asked but i am REALLY thinking of rooting and the question is can someone point me to the right directions on the easiest way to root my HTC evo running Froyo??? :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Advertisement
  2. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

3. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I used Matlock's thread above and it was flawless. Definitely hit that up.

4. pinoy724

pinoy724 Well-Known Member

Matlock's guide is the easiest. Have fun rooting. Any question, don't hesitate to asked. There are enough of us willing to help.:D

flyjbaker likes this.
  5. djron

me again. i am rooted:D:D:D thanks for the article on rooting it was painless:) couple of questions. do i need to install a custom rom to get free wifi tethering? and what roms do you all use and recommend.
    thanks...:cool:

6. pinoy724

Well now your rooted tethering is free, although I've heard that you can tether for free even if your not rooted.

I go back and forth between CM6.1 with Snapturbo 7.6 OCed to 1.19mhz, and Myn's 2.2 with Kings#11 kernal. Both are really fast. It's either asop or sense?

7. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

No you don't. Once rooted, you can use your stock ROM to run the Wireless Tether app from the Marketplace. Myn's ROM does include unlocking the Sprint HotSpot feature on the Evo, if that is how you want to do it.

8. djron

having hard time connecting to evo using wireless tether. running stock rom on rooted evo:confused::confused: any ideas

9. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

10. djron

the apk. pack worked:cool::cool:. before trying other roms what is the most i can do with stock rom?? by the way want to say thank you for everyone's help:)

11. djron

Me again. I rooted the evo and loving the wifi tethering. for some reason it seems faster the pdanet. anyway i have noticed that one of the 1st apps that people get after rooting is titanium backup. Do i need it, if so why??:confused:
    thanks...

12. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

titanium backup backs up all your apps and settings, it is kinda nice when going from rom to rom, but when changing roms restore apps and data only. restoring settings can cause a lot of fcs. tb also can freeze bloatware and any apps you dont want.

13. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

Its not totally needed. Its preference I guess. It does all your backing up including data for apps I believe. I personally don't use it, insted I just use app brain to sync apps and gmail to sync contacts. Like I said its all preference. I dont really have a need to back anything else up.

14. wrapkgb

Wake beat me to it! And good thing because i totally forgot to mention about freezing apps!

15. I want my EVO

I want my EVO Well-Known Member

Titanium Back up is suggested for a few reasons.

1.) You can make a Complete back up of your phone. So that when/ if you decide you want to fiddle with Roms/ Kernels and something messes up that you have a back up of it all that you can flash back to.

2.) You can remove bloatware from the phone. This is nice to do because it frees up so much Sprint crap that you may not have ever used. It gives a good amount of space back to the phone as well.

Edit: Beaten to the punch on this one...

16. ExSaint

ExSaint Well-Known Member

Is Titanium back up (DONATE VERSION) the only app that will freeze apps?

17. wrapkgb

I believe so.

18. djron

hello again:D rooted for about 2 weeks and REALLY enjoying wi-tether, and adfree. know for the next step, do i have all that is needed to install custom ROM?? if so i would like to start slow and install a rom that still feels like sense. my next step is to play around with the CPU:)
    thanks,
    ron

19. wrapkgb

Yup! As long as your rooted you are good to flash away!! Just remember make a nandroid first, just so you have something to fall back on incase something goes wrong! And make sure you wide data, cache and dalvik before you flash! Trust me once you flash your first rom its a no brainer after that! Have fun!

20. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

I agree with everything wake says, especially about nandroids, and I would add one additional note of caution:

Welcome to the addiction, say goodbye to your family and free time. :cool:

21. djron

to whom it may concern: i have rooted and i am addicted. My wife and kid have signed me up for rooters anonymous:D anyway getting back to enjoying life as a rooter. i am running myn's Warm TwoPointTwo (RLS3) Kernel #10. my question is what is a Kernel and what does it do?? Also what app can i use to play around with the cpu??? again thanks to all my fellow rooters and taking there time to answer not just my questions but all rooters like me:):)

22. pinoy724

I believe that Kernal #10 is the stock kernal. I use Kings#11 Kernal to overclock. Here is the link [KERNEL] [2.6.32.24] [HAVS] [BFS] [BFQ] KiNgxKernel #11/#11 "Con is an Artist" - xda-developers just boot into recovery and flash it like you would flash a rom.
    *Note* Do a nandroid backup before flashing a kernal, incase something goes wrong or if you don't like it.

I use SetCPU to over and underclock. Here is my setup.
    Charging/Full- Max-1.19ghz, Min- 998mhz, set on performance
    Screen Off- Max- 384mhz, Min- 245mhz set on conservative priority 75