• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOT? I can't put 2 + 2 together for some reason

potterdood

Android Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2010
I have set cpu, I have rom manager, I have the kernel I want to use, and I have seen the steps listed 100 times, and yet I still can not put all these steps together for the sole purpose of installing a kernel/rom. I have a kernel picked out, but not rom, honestly this whole thing is driving me crazy, I've been working on it 5 hours, @ 1 point I thought I was onto something, but haven't been. IS there anyway someone could get on a messenger now and help walk me through it?

1. Put the kernel .zip on the root of your sd card
2. Go to Clockworkmod recovery (Turn off phone. Once it's off, press and hold power and volume down, on the white screen with the 3 android guys, scroll down to recovery, press the power button, wait for the recovery screen. go to install .zip, then choose .zip from file or something like that. Find the kernel and install it)
3. Reboot phone, check to make sure that it does not bootloop. If it does, get the next kernel and install it using the method above.
4. If it works, then you have installed the kernel successfully.
5. As for ROMs, use ROM Manager. Make sure you make a backup and clear cache+storage.

Try the kernel first, let me know how it goes.

Reactions: potterdood
Upvote 0
ok, I compressed it and it gave me a zip file, I wasn't even thinking about making my own zip, lol. BUT I went through the steps and chose that file and it did the shut down after installing the zip from sd card and when it rebooted, it sat on the vzw screen for about 3 min, then booted up and the kernel still says the htc 1. So, does this mean I did something wrong or that the kernel just won't work on my phone, meaning I should move to the 2nd kernel?

Upvote 0
and I wanted to ask, you said to put the zip on the "1. Put the kernel .zip on the root of your sd card". When I open the sd card up I do not see the root folder, but I see it through astro. I just put the zip on my sd card and tried to install it from there.

Let's take a few steps back. Go to Hydra Kernels http://hydrakernel.cz.cc/ Go to the overclocked kernels, pick the next one 1.15 OCUV with 25 OV (With or without wireless N, that's up to you). Instead of just clicking it, right click the file and do "Save link as..." so that it keeps the zip file as one package. Save it somewhere that you can remember, like your downloads or desktop. Put the file on the root of your SD card. The root of the SD card means the base folder of your SD card. Now try the steps I posted above.

Upvote 0
ok just an update from earlier, when I chose to install zip from sd there were 2 zip files, the 1 i added and another 1, the other 1 said Hydra1_~.zip ok I went and got a different kernel and got it to save as and zip to the desktop now I'm about to put it on the root of my card, ok I just opened the sd card folder and dropped it in there...

Upvote 0
ok just an update from earlier, when I chose to install zip from sd there were 2 zip files, the 1 i added and another 1, the other 1 said Hydra1_~.zip ok I went and got a different kernel and got it to save as and zip to the desktop now I'm about to put it on the root of my card, ok I just opened the sd card folder and dropped it in there...

Hydra1_~.zip sounds like a temporary file from when you were downloading the zip. That's why installation failed. I hope the new method works for you

Upvote 0
Well I just want to give you a warning that installing a rom is not like installing a kernel. Even with ROM Manager, there is a higher chance that you can mess something up. I wouldn't suggest doing it until you read up some more on ROMs

Here are some starting points
http://androidforums.com/roms-incredible/108456-guide-flashing-customs-roms.html
Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible ? Technology ? Jonamerica.com
How 2 - ADB, Rooting(reflash), Unrooting, Nandroid, Remove/Install App, roms, kernels - xda-developers

Upvote 0
well I didn't completely fail at installing a new ROM. I went into ROM managers and chose download rom, then chose CyanogenMod, then chose CyanogenMod 5.0.8 test 4, I also clicked Google Apps (froyo) and downloaded. BUT I didn't go into extras and choose either of the superuser options. So after I did that, I went into recovery mode and then did a nandroid backup. Not sure what happened next but after it rebooted it came back and I had a stock UI. There was no market app. That was the main thing I noticed that was missing. So from there I just went back to the nandroid recovery screen and did a restore from where I saved it. So yeah the rom thing is confusing! OH YEAH, everytime I reboot now, it takes my phone about 2 minutes to get off of the verizon screen. Is that normal? & I got the wireless tether app from the market earlier and installed and ran it. Went into my computer, connected to androidtethering and it said connected but wouldnt work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones