Root I897 on 2.3.5

1. lotsip81

lotsip81 Well-Known Member

I need to know how to root a Samsung SGH I897 running GingerBread 2.3.5. It's not my phone and I need to learn the "ins and outs" of it fairly fast so I can do this for a friend of mine.

I've been looking around this forum, but I am unsure as to wether I should be looking in the"Captivate" area or the "Galaxy S" area for information.

What I need is a straight forward, reliable guide of how to do it and hopefully any download links I need. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks
    lotsip81

note: This is not my first time rooting as I have rooted and flashed my own Galaxy S2 on many occasions, so I am familliar with the "rooting terms". But I have absolutely no experience with the I897.

Advertisement
    :
  2. ZVisions

ZVisions Member

3. charlie237

charlie237 New Member

Giude or Instructions, were are they?
    It states post 6? were is that?
    Or can you send them to me cts237 at aim.com
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Follow this link. It will take you right to post #6. Read through carefully and if you have any questions, make sure you ask before you get started.
  5. charlie237

charlie237 New Member

I am having a hard time connecting my phone to the computer. I have to get into settings on the phone and then wireless & network then tethering and portable, then click USB tethering.
    When I disconnect it from the computer and reconnect it the computer will not recognize it, again, so the phone is now in Download mode and not connected, LOL, I can
  6. lunatic59

7. jutt524

jutt524 New Member

ODIN doesn't recognize phone while in download mode...where are the drivers? my computer recognizes phone is USB Mass storage mode, running 2.3.5 on SGH-i897 Captivate AT&T
  8. lunatic59

9. jim_b

jim_b Member

Hi,

I have rooted my phone, a ATT SGH i 897. I put CM 9 on the SD but I cannot find it when the phone is on debugging mode. I am old, (54), so take it easy on me. Everything else looks good. I got superuser and busybox. Just this last step is not working for me.
  10. lunatic59

Hi Jim,

Wow you *are* old. Why, you've got almost a year on me ... almost. ;)

Okay, let's start with the basics ... what method did you use to root? Did it install a custom recovery (CWM)? If you are that far, then the rest is pretty easy. First, if you have any important data on your phone right now, BACK IT UP, because the next few steps could wipe it out. If you don't care about any information on your phone, then we can move forward.

Shut the phone off and take the battery out. It really isn't absolutely necessary to remove the battery, but you'd be surprised how many times you think the phone is completely off when it's not.

Put the battery back in (it is charged, right?) and then hold the volume down/volume up at the same time and press the power button until the Samsung logo appears. Then release the power button but continue to hold the volume buttons until you boot into recovery. It will look something like this ...

[​IMG]

Use the volume buttons to scroll the menu and the power button to select.

Now, I want you to select install zip from sdcard, but don't install it! I just want to make sure you can find it. Some versions of CWM won't mount the external sd, so if you can't find it, then you will need to reboot your phone , mount as storage and move the CM9 zip from your external sd to your internal sd partition. Then you can go back to recovery.

Now, if you can find the file, do the following. Select data reset and okay that . Then clear the cache. Finally select advanced and then clear the dalvik cache.

NOW you are ready to flash CM9. Choose install zip from sd, find the file and let it do it's thing. Don't forget to install gapps, too.

Just so you know the first time you boot, it may take a while. Good luck
  11. jim_b

jim_b Member

Okay, I see the first problem which is I must not of installed the revovery mod because mine does not say install zip on it.

I used Odin to do two things but I do not know exactly what they were but it said "pass" after both.
  12. lunatic59

Ah, that sound's like you flashed a rooted kernel, but no recovery. The stock recovery won't give any options beyond clearing the cache and resetting. You can flash through Odin, too, but I've never done it that way.

Could you list the files you used to root?
  13. jim_b

jim_b Member

I am not even sure what I did now. Can I just start at the beginning? Also, can I go from ginger 2.3.5 to CM10?
  14. lunatic59

As long as you can get custom recovery installed you can do anything you want. FYI I'd recommend support nexus jelly bean rom
  15. jim_b

jim_b Member

Thanks for your help.
  16. jim_b

jim_b Member

When I try to flash clockworkmod recovery my choices are samsung galexey s i9000. Is it okay to use that cause my phone is a i897.

Thanks
  17. lunatic59

You could *try* and flash a different kernel with CWM like corn 7.06. Unfortunatley since you already rooted and installed CM9 it's probably going to give you problems. This mod, which is the one I've used, requires you to be on stock 2.3.5 UCKK4 .

Here's what I'd do, and it's going to be a pain in the butt. Flash it back to unrooted stock Eclair (2.1.1) -- http://androidforums.com/captivate-all-things-root/162909-returning-stock.html -- and then update using kies mini to 2.3.5 and THEN follow these instructions to root with the corn kernel.
  18. jim_b

jim_b Member

The instructions to root is the one I used. I did it all they way the daid. No problem. But after doing that when I rebooted the phone to boot page but its still the Android recovery and not the Mod recovery.

So i was never able to mod the phone to cm9.
    I used root checker and it says it is rooted.

Thanks for the help.
  19. JuankaRamirez

JuankaRamirez New Member

Thanks a lot man! It works perfectly. Great thread dude!
    lunatic59 likes this.
  20. morkhest

morkhest Member

Sorry to bother, im new to all this, but i was trying to brick my Samsung Galaxy s captivate SGH i897 and i follow the instructions on the post, Did everything with Odin and it failed, now my phone is bricked and i think i need a Jig, any help on how to do this?
  21. lunatic59

22. morkhest

morkhest Member

I think that is what i did,(wrong kernel or wrong rom) and sorry i didn't mean brick but root lol then it got bricked because it failed in Odin, ill get the jig from Ebay or Amazon, if i manage to get the phone to download mode with the jig, how do i get it back to stock?, i just want the phone to work again. Thanks a lot for replying :)
  23. lunatic59

You can find the stock ROM files here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1300843

You will flash it with Odin and then use Kies mini to update to the Gingerbread. From there, you can root and them put JB on it. Let me know when you get the jig and I can walk you through it.
  24. morkhest

morkhest Member

Sure thing, Thanks a lot!
  25. morkhest

morkhest Member

Ok, so now im at stock(2.1-update1 build number ECLAIR)