• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root I897 on 2.3.5

I got the same error again. This is what it says:

Install /sdcard/external_sd ...
then in red letters: E: Short write of /tmp/sideload/package.zip (No space left on device)
Installation aborted.

Perhaps the firmware is faulty? I had downloaded the most up to date one from here: CyanogenMod Downloads

and now I see there has been a new one added just a while ago. Should I download it?

Upvote 0
So I keep everything the way it is and just download 10.1 and continue with the same steps?

I appreciate all your help and I will go back and "thank" you for every post :)

Yes, just download the stable rom and apply it as described (install .zip from sd).

Once you get it installed, then you can thank me. ;)

EDIT: One other thought on the insufficient space warning ... when you are in recovery, go to advanced and select wipe Dalvik Cache.

Reactions: butterfly
Upvote 0
Hmmm. just to be sure, you are rooted and do have a custom recovery installed? does it look like this?

lunatic59-albums-stuff-picture6182-cwm5.jpg

You might have a corrupt download. Try downloading it again.

Upvote 0
Well there you go. I don't think you will be able to use stock recovery to flash a custom rom. What you will need to do is push a new kernel with custom recovery to your phone using Odin.

Try this

Don't worry about random reboots and incompatibilities because all you're really interested in is getting the CWM custom recovery installed. Once you do that, then you can flash CM10 which will install it's own kernel.

Upvote 0
Hi, am Maureen and am new here. I just got to know of android rooting today so I don't know anything concerning it. So plz if u wouldn't mind, I ll like a step by step explanation on how to root my phone. I ll be glad if I get a patient person to put me through. Thanks.

The first thing we need to know is what kind of phone you have so we can get you to the right section. While rooting is a universal concept for Android the procedures to achieve root can be very different depending on make and model of the device.

Upvote 0
Okay, I will follow these instructions.

I wanted to ask you what is the difference between the nightly firmwares, i.e. the 10.2, and the 10.1? Seeing that this may work out when I download the cwm, I thought I'd ask you about the 2 firmwares before I install one of them. Isnt the 10.2 for the latest android firmware?

Upvote 0
Okay, I will follow these instructions.

I wanted to ask you what is the difference between the nightly firmwares, i.e. the 10.2, and the 10.1? Seeing that this may work out when I download the cwm, I thought I'd ask you about the 2 firmwares before I install one of them. Isnt the 10.2 for the latest android firmware?

CM (Cyenogen) is not an official Google release. It is a widely popular open adaptation of the Android OS that has been developed for many devices. Development is continuous. For this reason they have opted to release nightly builds for testing and review. These should be considered "beta" versions and not for everyday use. The most up to date safe release will be the stable version, which for the captivate is 10.1.3.

I have 10.1.2 on a Captivate that is sitting next to me so I will update it to 10.1.3 and let you know the specifics.

Upvote 0
I believe it worked. I followed the instructions and now it is telling me to pick my language, insert my sim card and make a new cynogen account.

Is there anything I need to know in terms of what to do or NOT do so I don't mess up the phone, or any advice? Like how does one lose their root and if its lost do I also lose everything I just did?

Thank you! :)

Upvote 0
Yep, that sounds exactly right. :) Make sure you flash the proper version of gapps for 4.2.2 or you might see some errors. I tried a version of gapps for 4.1.2 and it didn't work.

The only way you'd lose root now is if you restored a purely stock rom image using Odin in order to return it to the out-of-box state. Since the warranty has long expired on these phones there really shouldn't ever be a need to do that.

What you should do is, once you sign in to the device and get your apps setup for mail, messaging, etc. then you should do a nandroid backup. Shut off the phone and boot into recovery. You should see the option to backup and restore. This backup makes a complete system image at the state your phone is in including apps, data and settings. Should anything ever go wrong you can easily return it this state in a matter of minutes. I usually make a nandroid periodically and copy the files off the phone just in case.

Of course I am an IT manager and see system failure everywhere (I guess you could call me a technochondriac ;) ) so I tend to be overly cautious.

Upvote 0
I did install the gapps but I dont know what version it was. How can I find that out or where can I locate it? I don't even know what it is for.

I will finish downloading my apps and adding contacts, etc, and then I will do the backup, thanks for the tip :) now I just need to change this theme, hhh

P.S. The Arabic is showing up perfectly! Thank God :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones