Root is gone after Verizon update

1. mausergirl

mausergirl Member

Ugh. So, I did a very, very stupid thing.

I checked my Droid first thing after waking up this morning to see if I had missed any calls or anything, and a Verizon update popped up. Obviously, my brain wasn't in functioning mode yet, because I clicked "Update" and it started with the update. It was then that my brain kicked in and I realized this was probably a really stupid idea since my phone is rooted. XD

After sweating it out for a few minutes, hoping like heck that I didn't just brick my phone, the phone finished updating and turned back on. Everything seems to be running as normal. All programs work, phone calls and text messages work. So far, so good. However, when checking Titanium Backup, I found that my phone is no longer rooted.

All the programs that I have frozen and/or removed remain frozen and/or removed, which is good, and there seems to be no new junk ware on my phone, which is also good.

However, obviously, I am now no longer rooted. Is there a way to re-root that won't brick my phone, or should I leave well enough alone for the time being? I did read that going back to a pre-update version will brick my phone, so that's obviously out.

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

OTAs usually break root, so that is normal. Just check the Root Guide in the all things root subforum for an update that addresses rerooting. If it isn't there yet, just keep an eye on it and I'm sure it will show up shortly.
  3. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Not yet. It's surprising that it actually installed if you had things frozen.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

*thread moved to Motorola Droid X > Droid X - All Things Root*
  5. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

i bet the user didnt have anything frozen, just used tibu to basically save game and app progress without losing all that info.

what you should have done mauser, was put the phone in airplane mode, then reboot, at that point the update cannot download, and then open tibu and freeze blurupdater.apk

or something like that.

good luck to you i hear .621 is a pain
  6. mausergirl

mausergirl Member

Yes, I realized that it would break root as I was running the update. I felt really stupid just about as soon as I clicked the "update" button and realized what I was doing. Like I said, I don't think my brain had quite engaged when I was looking at my phone first thing this morning. :mad:

Definitely watching out for information on how to re-root.

Question... it's still showing Superuser and Titanium Backup on my phone, neither of which are (obviously) working. Will that potentially cause any issues when I re-root?

Yeah, it didn't have any issues installing. I guess I didn't have anything relevant frozen or removed. I mostly just rooted to get rid of some of the bloatware that came with the phone, like games (removed) and some of the other stuff I don't need / use like Google Books, MyVerizon, Skype, etc. (frozen).

Thanks for moving it. I'm still getting the forum figured out.