Root & Lag Fix OR wait for froyo?

Last Updated:

1. TheStoffer

TheStoffer Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting pretty sick of the lag on my Fascinate. Should I root and instal lag fix or wait forfroyo? Will froyo fix the lag?

Advertisement
  2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

the lag is a result of the file system, froyo doesnt fix it properly (or doesnt on other sgs phones).

custom kernels make the lag disappear completely (or 99.9% :))

dont use a lagfix (the one in the market or voodoo) if you screw up you ll be pretty frustrated.

eventually when voodoo5 is running well ill be back on it im sure, but id advise the voodoo virgins to stay way atm :eek:

3. NOsquid

NOsquid Well-Known Member

Froyo will fix all lag, disintegrate all iPhones within a 5-block radius, and give you a foot massage

4. TheStoffer

TheStoffer Active Member This Topic's Starter

Excellent reply. Thanks! Can you suggest a custom kernel/Rom and where to get it? I haven't read up on rooting yet.

I'm guessing I'd have to get another froyo version of said kernel when 2.2 is released? Or a am I confusing roms and kernels? I have some linux experience but I'm not sure how current things are in a mobile platform.

5. nitsuj17

froyo will wipe the table clean :)

my recommendation: any of jts kernels (nonvoodoo) in rom manager and his super clean 0.4 rom in rom manager are a good place to start (its what i run)

6. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

I thought it was just a maybe on Froyo wiping the table clean??

7. nitsuj17

i was refering to kernel/rom development :)

8. Bob-o

Bob-o Well-Known Member

I used OCLF in the market. Installed ext2 then lagfix 1.1. Didn't like it and uninstalled using the app. Didn't seem to mess anything up. Is there a way I can tell if it messed up?

9. nitsuj17

you should be fine...as long as you havent had an issues as a result...id say you're ok :)

10. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

Ok got ya now thanks for clarifying. I thought you were saying root would be for sure gone.

11. s44

s44 Well-Known Member

Are the devs waiting for Froyo to integrate ULF?

Heck, even CM is doing ext4 conversion.

12. nitsuj17

Voodoo 5 will be ported quickly id assume and at some point someone (birdman prolly) may be able to cwr to recognize it. we shall see

saps likes this.
  13. saps

saps Well-Known Member

supercurio confirmed as much yesterday full CW! and its done for eclair now bird just has it make it fly for SF

nitsuj17 likes this.
  14. nitsuj17

in borat voice: "nice!"

15. saps

saps Well-Known Member

problem is now since its the weekend bird will probably be spending more time with rum than voodoo5 so this might not get done till like Tuesday :p

16. nitsuj17

thats actually ok with me...weekends are wife/family time so i get maybe an hour or so of phone/computer time besides checking stuff on the go...when big stuff happens late friday through sunday im way out of it :eek:

17. suXor

suXor Well-Known Member

I never had issue with the VooDoo available today.

BTW, the kernel doesn't remove the lag, the CWM Kernel allows you to execute and unsigned zip file from the SD card (voodoo) which then invokes a low level backup of the internal memory, reformats the memory to ext4 and restores the content, getting rid of the slow file system implemented originally.

ROOT --> CWM Recovery Kernal --> Reboot into CWM Recovery --> flash voodoo zip from SD card

18. suXor

suXor Well-Known Member

Also, If you have your device setup the way you like it, ROOT then install TI Backup and backup all your apps/settings. This way, if you bork the VooDoo and have to reflash to stock, you can restore fairly easy.

19. s44

s44 Well-Known Member

Well, ULF goes further than any Voodoo, which (the lagfix part) just redoes /data as ext4. ULF options:

• OCLF: /data stays at rfs, but has an ext2 loop device on top of it
    • Voodoo: /data is ext4, all others are kept at rfs
    • JFS Voodoo: /data is jfs, all others are still rfs
    • No-RFS Standard: /data is rfs+ext2, all other partitions are ext4
    • No-RFS Advanced: all partitions are ext4
    • No-RFS Advanced JFS: all partitions are jfs
    • No-RFS Overkill: turns on all options: everything is ext4+ext2 and /data/data is bound to /dbdata
    • No-RFS Overkill JFS: turns on all options: everything is jfs+ext2 and /data/data is bound to /dbdata

It also allows CWM to run with any of the above schemes active (this is huge!), because the lagfix code is built into the CW side. Captivate, i9000, and Vibrant Froyo kernels with this are pretty popular.

suXor and saps like this.
  20. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Great Link.
    supercurio seems to be implying we are awfully close to getting voodoo5 for the fascinate , like any day or even hour now.

21. nitsuj17

i think the point we are all making is, the current thinking is that the nonvoodoo kernels of today are better/equal than the voodoo ones from october with oc. and theres no point in jumping onto "old" voodoo when the newest version isnt that far away

also, with how many problems a lot of us had who were used to flashing kernels/rom etc had with voodoo, that newer members of the fascinate community are better off avoiding it...for now :)

yeah that looks promising, i remember wickedbeav was trying to work with z4mod developer to get it up and running for us but it didnt take. i think someone in irc said this wasnt working for us either and with voodoo 5 due soon, that may/may not be the way to go. but its great to see so much work being done across the sgs line of phones

can't wait, as long as i can backup in cwr :)

22. Mazeraski

Mazeraski Well-Known Member

I remember supercurio talking with someone in irc like 2 days ago about working around CWM for voodoo5 because CWM needs rfs to function. If that's the case however, it wouldn't be full-on ext4.

23. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Thats the key, supercurio said it should but I think there is a final snag or two. We are really close it seems

24. Mazeraski

Mazeraski Well-Known Member

Good to hear that it's that close to being done. Any idea how froyo will affect voodoo5 once it's (2.2) released? Will it just have to be adapted for it or something more involved?

25. saps

saps Well-Known Member

The beautiful thing is he said voodoo 5 is fully eclair and froyo compatible